Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #1

Jeep Off Road Bumper Towing Issue

Getting the Jeep ready to tow behind the MH. I've got a Smittybilt Carbine bumper and a Ready Brute Elite tow bar. To connect the two, I've got Warrior D ring adapters. They look like this:

So the clevis pin is much smaller than the hole in the bumper's D ring. There's a lot of slop in there. It will make noise, for sure, but do I need to address that slop. It's probably 3/16's or so. I can source a bushing or return these adapter with pin that are closer the 1 inch holes, though there will still be play in the connection.

What do those of you with Jeeps and off road bumpers do?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #2

I would say absolutely! The slop will cause extra stress on the pins and the shackles and eventually probably damage one or the other.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #3

That's what I'm thinking. Just wanted to see what other's are doing. I can't be the only guy with this issue.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #4

I still have to buy my shackles...bumper will arrive next week to install...guess we will see how it plays out.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use the Roadmaster bar ends, here is a link to them, they are available in two different pin sizes.
Roadmaster 035-1 Off-Road Bumper Adaptor
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #6

I was able to find some steel bushing that will work perfectly. Found them at True Value. They had bronze too but not the right length. I'll keep an eye out since bronze will probably be better in the long run.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Actually in your application I think the steel bushing is better. Bronze is a bit soft and if there is much play at all, it could cause the bushing to deform over time. There is little relative rotation in the bushings, steel should hold up well. put a little dab of grease in there if you are concerned.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithtools View Post
Actually in your application I think the steel bushing is better. Bronze is a bit soft and if there is much play at all, it could cause the bushing to deform over time. There is little relative rotation in the bushings, steel should hold up well. put a little dab of grease in there if you are concerned.
I agree and would do the same.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #9

I have both so if the bronze begins to deform, I can put the steel in there.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #10

I am in the process of addressing a similar issue. Installing a Tomken shorty off road bumper on a '17 Rubie JK, with Tomken welded on "baseplates" to match my Blue Ox tow system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0107.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	202447  
Old 05-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Need to get rid of the slop. I had similar brackets at one time - needed a bit of modification to work well. Took them to a machine / welding shop and in a few minutes they were perfect.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
Getting the Jeep ready to tow behind the MH. I've got a Smittybilt Carbine bumper and a Ready Brute Elite tow bar. To connect the two, I've got Warrior D ring adapters. They look like this:

So the clevis pin is much smaller than the hole in the bumper's D ring. There's a lot of slop in there. It will make noise, for sure, but do I need to address that slop. It's probably 3/16's or so. I can source a bushing or return these adapter with pin that are closer the 1 inch holes, though there will still be play in the connection.

What do those of you with Jeeps and off road bumpers do?
Hey Dan,
Well, you've been given advice on your approach to this situation. Yep, get rid off ALL slop in those connections. The adapters for ANY tow bar brand, should be already designed and setup for the correct fitment of both the D-ring tabs and, the tow bar ends. But, apparently yours weren't. So, you'll figure out how to remedy this and make it safe at the same time. But, I will add something here. In your picture, you're showing the pins that are shipped with the adapters. Well, I got the same kind of pins when I purchased my adapters for my Blue Ox tow bar to our Smittybilt bumper.

Those pins, while certainly are the correct diameter for appropriate sized holes, are one pain in the a$$ to get out, when disconnecting from the Jeep at the end of a days drive. So, I show you below, what I purchased at Tractor supply. They are D-handle pins that make the insertion and retraction of those pins considerably easier than the ones shipped with the adapters. And yes, they're rated for the job. I've been using this type of D-handle pins for quite a while and they work flawless. Just some info for ya.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0232.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	202468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	202469  

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	202470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0888.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	202471  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Dan,
Well, you've been given advice on your approach to this situation. Yep, get rid off ALL slop in those connections. The adapters for ANY tow bar brand, should be already designed and setup for the correct fitment of both the D-ring tabs and, the tow bar ends. But, apparently yours weren't. So, you'll figure out how to remedy this and make it safe at the same time. But, I will add something here. In your picture, you're showing the pins that are shipped with the adapters. Well, I got the same kind of pins when I purchased my adapters for my Blue Ox tow bar to our Smittybilt bumper.

Those pins, while certainly are the correct diameter for appropriate sized holes, are one pain in the a$$ to get out, when disconnecting from the Jeep at the end of a days drive. So, I show you below, what I purchased at Tractor supply. They are D-handle pins that make the insertion and retraction of those pins considerably easier than the ones shipped with the adapters. And yes, they're rated for the job. I've been using this type of D-handle pins for quite a while and they work flawless. Just some info for ya.
Scott
Great idea!
Old 05-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And carry a spare set of pins just in case one disappears.

Be ready to add a rear track bar. You’ve got a big tail wagging that dog.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing