Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeep Patriot Flat Towing?

I've been toying with the idea of swapping around some vehicles in our fleet again and was wondering if I can tow a Jeep Patriot four down. Has anyone done this or know if it can be done? What about the Patriot itself? Does it get good MPG? What does a Patriot weigh?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
What year is the Patriot. I've got towing guides on my computer that I downloaded. I'll look it up for you. Generally speaking, almost all jeep products are flat towable without modifications.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
What year is the Patriot. I've got towing guides on my computer that I downloaded. I'll look it up for you. Generally speaking, almost all jeep products are flat towable without modifications.
I've only started considering it, but whatever I consider will be our toad. I am considering Patriots in the 2007+ model range. I'm not sure when they started making them but it may have been 2007. Many I see listed are FWD so in that case, I assume I'd be looking for a manual transmission. I've read that they are not a "real" 4WD unit so you can't depend on a transfer case in N.

Still much to learn.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #4

For some reason, the first year the Patriot showed up on the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide was 2009. Not sure why. I'm sure some of the Jeep experts can give the reason that it doesn't show the 2007 and 2008 Patriot.

Yes, that is the way I understand it too. Only the manual transmission can be towed 4-down as it does not have the traditional transfer case. It uses the Freedom Drive electronic AWD system.

I have attached the appropriate page from the 2009 Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide where it will show that the Patriot can be towed with a manual transmission and weighs 3,310 lbs.

-harry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dinghy-Guide-2009 page 26.pdf (51.3 KB, 265 views)
Old 05-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I've got a gap in my motorhome magazine dinghy towing guides. Mine jumps from 2007 to 2011. I didn't see the patriot listed at all in the 2007 guide. It's shows up on the 2011 guide towable only with manual transmission.

Not a Honda salesman, but our next vehicle purchase to use as a toad will be the Honda CRV. It's flat towable with automatic transmission and Honda reliability is hard to beat. It's also reasonably light weight and gets pretty good mileage.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
For some reason, the first year the Patriot showed up on the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide was 2009. Not sure why. I'm sure some of the Jeep experts can give the reason that it doesn't show the 2007 and 2008 Patriot.

Yes, that is the way I understand it too. Only the manual transmission can be towed 4-down as it does not have the traditional transfer case. It uses the Freedom Drive electronic AWD system.

I have attached the appropriate page from the 2009 Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide where it will show that the Patriot can be towed with a manual transmission and weighs 3,310 lbs.

-harry
If it isn't listed then it's not approved for towing four down. Only those factory approved for towing are listed.
Also, two wheel drive automatic Jeeps are not approved, in most cases, for towing four down.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
Not a Honda salesman, but our next vehicle purchase to use as a toad will be the Honda CRV. It's flat towable with automatic transmission and Honda reliability is hard to beat. It's also reasonably light weight and gets pretty good mileage.
Probably the same for us too, right now we have two Honda's, an '05 Odyssey EX-L that was supposed to be towable four down and a '08 Civic EX-L. Since we both are still working we need two vehicles, if we ever get to retire we can go to one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If it isn't listed then it's not approved for towing four down. Only those factory approved for towing are listed.
Also, two wheel drive automatic Jeeps are not approved, in most cases, for towing four down.
I've been around long enough to realize that, Mr. D., and I'm dumb but not that dumb.

However, the 2007 and 2008 Patriots, as far as I know, offered both AWD (not true 4WD) and manual transmissions as did the 2009. So my point was, why wasn't it approved for 2007 and 2008? It's obvious to most that if it isn't listed it isn't approved but that didn't explain why it "wasn't" approved for 2007 and 2008.

That was my point of my comments.

-harry
Old 05-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Member/Supporter

Country Coach Owners Club
The two low end Jeeps are not flat towable with automatics (Patriot and Compass). The Liberty, Wrangler and Grand Cherokee are flat towable with automatics. The transfer case has to be put in neutral.

Motorhome Dinghy Towing Guides

FMCA Towing Guides
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2006 45 foot Country Coach Magna (525 HP Cat C13, Allison 4000 6 speed tranny), 2012 Jeep Liberty
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #10

We still do not have an explanation as to why a manual transmission AWD/4WD 2007 or 2008 Patriot is not on the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy List for those years but does appear for subsequent years. That was all I was asking.

2007 Dinghy Towing Guide

2008 Dinghy Towing Guide

But does appear on theses:

2009 Dingly Towing Guide

2010 Dinghy Towing Guide

2011 Dinglhy Towing Guide

2012 Dinghy Towing Guide
(only 2WD listed here?)

2013 Dinglhy Towing Guide

-harry
Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
According to the Remco tow guide, you can tow both a 4WD and 2 WD drive as is with speed and distance limits.
Here is a link to their tow guide, just select the vehicle you want to see.

Store : Remco

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
We still do not have an explanation as to why a manual transmission AWD/4WD 2007 or 2008 Patriot is not on the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy List for those years but does appear for subsequent years. That was all I was asking.

2007 Dinghy Towing Guide

2008 Dinghy Towing Guide

But does appear on theses:

2009 Dingly Towing Guide

2010 Dinghy Towing Guide

2011 Dinglhy Towing Guide

2012 Dinghy Towing Guide
(only 2WD listed here?)

2013 Dinglhy Towing Guide

-harry
Thanks so much for posting all of the links for so many tow guides. This fills the gaps I had in mine. I appreciate it. I'm sure others will find it useful as well. As far as an explanation why there's no listing in the tow guide for manual transmission AWD/4WD 2007 or 2008 Patriot. I doubt anyone here has the answer to that, unless they happen to have been an editor or some such thing for motorhome magazines.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Of course, you could always download the owner's manual for the 2007 Patriot and see what it says ... and that would be:

RECREATIONAL TOWING (BEHIND MOTORHOME, ETC.)
Towing This Vehicle Behind Another Vehicle (Flat towing with all four wheels on the ground)

CAUTION!
DO NOT flat tow this vehicle. Damage to the drivetrain will result.

NOTE: If the vehicle requires towing make sure all four wheels are off the ground.

---
Yes, I know, that doesn't answer the question "what's different about the 2007 and 2008 vs. later models that are towable? I dunno, but it would sure discourage me from towing this year/model.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Of course, you could always download the owner's manual for the 2007 Patriot and see what it says ... and that would be:

RECREATIONAL TOWING (BEHIND MOTORHOME, ETC.)
Towing This Vehicle Behind Another Vehicle (Flat towing with all four wheels on the ground)

CAUTION!
DO NOT flat tow this vehicle. Damage to the drivetrain will result.

NOTE: If the vehicle requires towing make sure all four wheels are off the ground.

---
Yes, I know, that doesn't answer the question "what's different about the 2007 and 2008 vs. later models that are towable? I dunno, but it would sure discourage me from towing this year/model.
Sometimes I think the "authorities" will say that just to rid themselves of any liability or blame even if they have never bothered to prove if the car can or cannot be towed. I mean, if they say, "Don't do it" then they are off the hook completely. If they say, "Yes you can do it", they carry some blame or liability if things go wrong. It's just easier to say, "Don't do it" regardless of the capabilities or configuration of the car. In short, I don't trust them...but I have nothing to stand on to contradict them, so I'm at their mercy. A car manufacturer stands to gain almost nothing by certifying their car for flat towing so why would they bother to tell us that it's ok?

Tags
towing