Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #155

I just cannot justify those jeep prices...new OR used!!! I had a 1998 jeep Cherokee with almost 300,000 miles..rusted through floorboards and rocker panels..no air conditioning ect...and sold for $2,000! Any other vehicle like that and it would have gone to scrap yard.....DO NOT GET IT!!!
Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 05:48 AM   #156

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
I just cannot justify those jeep prices...new OR used!!! I had a 1998 jeep Cherokee with almost 300,000 miles..rusted through floorboards and rocker panels..no air conditioning ect...and sold for $2,000! Any other vehicle like that and it would have gone to scrap yard.....DO NOT GET IT!!!
That is kind of a reason to buy a Jeep. Great resale value. One reason we bought new was that a newer used Jeep cost pretty close to what our new one did.

It boils down to how much you really want one. We wanted one, found one we really liked, then ordered one like it with exactly what we wanted on it. After a few years and almost 10K miles it has been perfect. Knocking on wood now.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #157

If I buy a jeep for $15K and then sell it in 10 years for $15K, then it the cost of ownership is just gas, taxes, maintenance and insurance, the vehicle itself actually will have cost me nothing. Much cheaper than a vehicle I pay $10K for and in 10 years sell for $2K.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #158

If you don't understand the Jeep Thing, don't buy one.
I have a 12 JK Sport. 70K miles and not a problem. (JINX)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #159

After looking at used Jeeps that cost nearly the same as a new (with our requirements), we gave up and bought new. A 2-door Jeep with 90k miles cost only 7k less than the brand new (bare bones -- no power ANYTHING) 4-door that we needed.
spikecopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #160

I bought my 02 wrangler new and it has somewhere around 300k miles , lifted and we just towed it for the first time, so glad we did. There are alot of vehicles that you can get cheaper but not that will take you where a Jeep will, and those other vehicles don't get you waves from other people driving the same rig. JEEPS ARE A COMMUNITY, JEEPERS will pull over to help when folks driving other rigs will pass you by, it's a lifestyle, you get it or you don't.
jeep nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
That is kind of a reason to buy a Jeep. Great resale value. One reason we bought new was that a newer used Jeep cost pretty close to what our new one did.

It boils down to how much you really want one. We wanted one, found one we really liked, then ordered one like it with exactly what we wanted on it. After a few years and almost 10K miles it has been perfect. Knocking on wood now.
This is the same reason I bought mine. I was amazed how these hold there value. When I found mine at a Toyota dealer with a $5000 discount off of list with 6700 miles on it for a 2016 model it was a no brainer plus a full warranty. A lady traded it in on a new Toyota.
Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #162

Potential Jeep owners BEWARE. There is a transition that takes place when you take your Jeep off road. It starts with "I really should have a small lift and slightly larger tires". With me, that was the beginning of an expensive trip. I found that I needed harder trails with greater challenges to satisfy that Jeep Disease. Now several mods and three Jeeps later, I'm at a crossroads again. My Lj can run all 4.5 trails and most 5 rated trails which should be enough, but a Buggy would be even better and easier for climbing those waterfalls that look impossible. Another disadvantage to owning and modifying my Jeep was that my wife used my obsession to justify remodeling both of our Kitchens in our homes. Turns out that my Jeep hobby has cost me twice as much as I spent.

So future Jeep owners BEWARE. There is a reason that JEEP stands for "Just Empty Every Pocket".
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #163

Been a Saab fan since the 80's and every one I purchased was used, they would drop so fast in value that it was a killer deal. My Saab Viggen which was close to $46k new back in 2000 I paid $20,000 for the car in 2003 with under 20k miles.

My jeep on the other hand, debating trading it in on a new one and it's a 2016. If it just costs me a few hundred bucks why not....

Sold my 1999 wrangler with 80k miles, major rust in the underbody, top was shot, AC didn't work, one of four brakes worked, engine was so rusted there were no oil pan bolts, radiator leaked, exh manifold leaked and I am sure I am missing something else. Put it up for sale for $4,000 and it sold within 2 hours... I guess I should of asked more. I told the person interested everything that was wrong with it and he said no worries, a friend is a jeep freak and will fix it.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #164

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are on our second Rubicon and couldn't be happier! Not great mileage but 20 mpg isn't bad. Ours is a 2014 four door.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Potential Jeep owners BEWARE. There is a transition that takes place when you take your Jeep off road. It starts with "I really should have a small lift and slightly larger tires". With me, that was the beginning of an expensive trip. I found that I needed harder trails with greater challenges to satisfy that Jeep Disease. Now several mods and three Jeeps later, I'm at a crossroads again. My Lj can run all 4.5 trails and most 5 rated trails which should be enough, but a Buggy would be even better and easier for climbing those waterfalls that look impossible. Another disadvantage to owning and modifying my Jeep was that my wife used my obsession to justify remodeling both of our Kitchens in our homes. Turns out that my Jeep hobby has cost me twice as much as I spent.

So future Jeep owners BEWARE. There is a reason that JEEP stands for "Just Empty Every Pocket".
I can relate to this, I'm in the process of looking at lift kits now and already added $450 Rigid Industries LED lighting. Cool looking mall crawler now
Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #166

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post

Good advice! I won't be doing a thing to our Rubicon. Been there. I started my rockcrawler from stock, added 4.5 inch lift, Atlas transfer case, Ford 9 inch in the front and rear axles, Detroit lockers, 39.50 X 13 tires, bead locks, hydro-boost steering, hydro-boost brakes, custom roll cage, stinger, five point harnesses, custom front and rear drive shafts, larger radiator and suspensions seats. After seven years of extreme off-roading, I got tired of it all and sold it.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
Good advice! I won't be doing a thing to our Rubicon. Been there. I started my rockcrawler from stock, added 4.5 inch lift, Atlas transfer case, Ford 9 inch in the front and rear axles, Detroit lockers, 39.50 X 13 tires, bead locks, hydro-boost steering, hydro-boost brakes, custom roll cage, stinger, five point harnesses, custom front and rear drive shafts, larger radiator and suspensions seats. After seven years of extreme off-roading, I got tired of it all and sold it.
I know where you're coming from. I went with the Rock Jock 60's, 12 & 14" coilovers, Atlas, detroits, and 40" Creepy's. We are into the serious/extreme crawling partly because our son and daughter-in-law come to AZ to go with us. We have also met some great people with the same interests. However, at 73 (soon to be 74) my body is telling me to start thinking of getting back into golf or maybe shuffleboard. When is stops being fun, I'll do the same and let some young buck take over my toy and dust the clubs off.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #168

The one you see below is number NINE for us. I've built all of them for extreme stuff too and, well, after 14 years in row to the Moab Easter Jeep safari and, 5-6 years of all of Colorados Ouray/Silverton runs, a dozen years of CAs Truckhaven and Anza Boreggo, many of Arizona's trails, and a whole lot more, it's time to just cruise a bit more moderate trails.

I never in my life would have foreseen us paying over $40K for a $%#@Jeep!!

But, it is what it is. If you don't want to pay, DON'T!!!! It's that simple. I'm pretty sure this one is our last one. I mean, what's the next, $80K for a Jeep, I don't think so. So, ours now has 34" A/Ts and a 2" leveling kit from Teraflex. It will get (and you see it in the boxes in one of the pics) a nice front bumper to add to it's looks and, also that will be used for towing by utilizing the front recovery tabs.

I'm about to order up a reinforced spare tire carrier for the larger tire and that will be the end of modifications. I may setup a C/B radio or a HAM one but, that's to be determined. We both don't want to muddle this "Nice" Jeep up with all the cr@p that went into the other 8 Jeeps. It was fun doing all that way back then. Now it's time for more sight seeing. Besides, after laying down on a creeper and getting back up again, for oh, maybe no less than around a few thousand times, while modifying these darn rolling Kleenex boxes, it's time to just DRIVE'M.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote