Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #15

Your toad has to meet your needs and what you want to do with it. What works for us, may not work for you. Sometimes the trip is all about the off-roading, so our little 2003 TJ is just what we need. (Last trip had us pulling trail rated jeep Cherokees out of the mud) Other times, a NP trip just requires a 4x4, and other trips are just about the sightseeing, and that's when I miss my Toyota convertible. We paid $15k 4 years ago for the TJ and after investing another $4k into it, they say it's worth north of $20k (assuming we could/would sell it), never had a car appreciate before, even a little. As another poster or two have said, ALL vehicles are crazy expensive these days, so get what meets your needs/wants. The pain of the expense is like ripping off a bandaid, the pain of having a vehicle that doesn't meet your needs is there every time your drive it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #16

I also looked at the Jeeps and could not believe how expensive the used ones were. Without question I would buy new if I was going to make that move into a KJ. We bought a 2005 Liberty for $8000 a couple of years ago. It's been a good toad.

noserider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #17

I recently sold my son's 1997 jeep wrangler sport with hardtop with 160,000+ miles. It was a 4.0 litre auto and in pretty good shape for an almost 20 year old vehicle. I listed it on Craigslist for $7000, and in 24 hrs had 30+ calls for it. A lady called me and said she would take it sight unseen. She was at my house when I got home from work with $7000 in the form of hondos. I guess I sold it too cheap. I was shocked at the interest in it. I believe I could have gotten $8000 easily.

Chad
Old 08-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #18

It kinda depends on what you need a 4X4 for. If you want to climb rocks probably need a jeep. If you want to go through mud and sand there are a lot of 4X4s that will do that.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #19

Sounds like Jeeps are pretty popular and hold their prices. Might be a good idea to bite the bullet and get one as it will pay off in the long run.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:26 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Your toad has to meet your needs and what you want to do with it. What works for us, may not work for you. Sometimes the trip is all about the off-roading, so our little 2003 TJ is just what we need. (Last trip had us pulling trail rated jeep Cherokees out of the mud) Other times, a NP trip just requires a 4x4, and other trips are just about the sightseeing, and that's when I miss my Toyota convertible. We paid $15k 4 years ago for the TJ and after investing another $4k into it, they say it's worth north of $20k (assuming we could/would sell it), never had a car appreciate before, even a little. As another poster or two have said, ALL vehicles are crazy expensive these days, so get what meets your needs/wants. The pain of the expense is like ripping off a bandaid, the pain of having a vehicle that doesn't meet your needs is there every time your drive it.
Me thinks, you fail to mention that your "little 2003 TJ is just what we need" is far from stock, it's a Rubicon, or maybe both!. A stock, non locked, stock wheels & tires TJ won't pass our first criteria....
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #21

Plus Fiat is seeking a buyer so who knows what company will end up with Jeep. Ford may re-introduce the smaller Bronco and Ranger in a couple of years. I am considering a 2015 manual Suburu CrosTrek. It's light, safe and gets good mileage plus 4WD and the same ground clearance as a factory Jeep. The Jeep Wrangler crash ratings are deplorable, especially given the cost of them.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #22

Yes,
Without a doubt, the JK models, especially the 2012s are way up there in used prices. The 2007-2011 model JK has the Junk 3.8L engine that's way under powered and gets lousy gas mileage. But, in 2012, the JK was re-born with the new Pentastar V-6 3.6L with 85HP more and seriously better gas mileage. Not that it's the greatest gas mileage but, it's better than the older models for sure.

We just sold, (about 2 days ago) our 2003 TJ Rubicon for $19K with 31K miles on the clock. (pictured below) It was pretty close to pristine and, could and would, go anywhere you pointed it. We are at present, also looking at anywhere from a 2012 to a new '16 Rubicon. Yep, there's no real justification for those kinds of prices, not for a rolling Kleenex box that is supposed to get 17-21 mpg.

But, it's like anything else in this world, if you want to play, you'll have to PAY!!

To the OP, if you want a nice performing Jeep Wrangler, without breaking the bank (too bad), may I suggest a nice later TJ model. You'll still be close to the $15-$20K range but, for that kind of money, you'll get pretty dog gone nice. You can pay less but, you'll start delving into the really high mileage and fairly worn out models.

When it comes to Jeeps, especially later models, TJs and JKs, they do seem to be holding values fairly well. The TJ was a vast improvement over the YJ which, was the brainchild of Chrysler when they took Jeep over from AMC. Not a lot of true Jeeping folks were happy with SQUARE HEADLIGHTS!

Then, in 1997, Jeep/Chrysler introduced a total revamped Jeep, the TJ model. Way better coil spring suspension and other attributes. The Rubicon was introduced in 2003 and, that Jeep, is close the best equipped/outfitted Jeep, RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX that you could get, for quality off roading and, fair road manors.

Then, in 2007, Jeep did it again, with the introduction of the JK model. The rest is history. We've had EIGHT JEEPS and two Grand Cherokee Overland models. We'll see what we end up with in the near future.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Me thinks, you fail to mention that your "little 2003 TJ is just what we need" is far from stock, it's a Rubicon, or maybe both!. A stock, non locked, stock wheels & tires TJ won't pass our first criteria....

It's not a Rubicon, and I didn't fail to mention that we invested $4k into it. That bought lifts, tires, gearing, lockers etc. it would pass your criteria.

BUT my point wasn't that we now have a cool Jeep, my point was that a toad is a personal thing, that has to meet your needs. And anymore that costs $$$. We got ours by buying a 10 year old stock jeep with low miles and adding what we needed.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #24

Anybody priced a top-of-the-line F-150 Platinum lately? How about north of

FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that's for a HALF TON TRUCK!! So, it's not only Jeep with the high prices.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Since my 2013 Jeep Wrangler has needed zero repair except for one thing I broke I would say your comment about Toyotas being better built would not apply in my case. My Jeep has 37,000 road miles and about 20,000 tow miles. When clean it looks like new. To me it is the perfect tow car. We are currently in MT and the Jeep is just a great car to have out here. I have owned a couple of Toyotas. The idea that Toyotas are better than US brands is not true any more. IMHO. My last Toyota was a 2008 Avalon Limited and it had several flaws and a couple of things that had to be repaired several times.

We got a sizable discount on our Jeep when we bought it new. The local dealer was terrible. He had large upcharges on the sticker price. I complained and they basically said take it or leave it. So I bought newspapers and we drove 25 miles to the dealer who seemed to give the best prices. We got about 4,000 off on ours. Plus the dealer is a good one. They do a very good job with regular maintenance and fixed the one thing I damaged in Moab.

I have owned a lot of cars. Lots of vehicles are OK. A few cars are just the best in their category. I get that feeling when I drive the Jeep. When you are behind the wheel you know you are driving the best vehicle for this purpose you can buy. So after you get one and drive it for a while then tell me if you think Toyotas are better. To me Toyotas are just another car not as good as my Jeep.
Consumers Report would disagree with you.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
d
I have owned a lot of cars. Lots of vehicles are OK. A few cars are just the best in their category. I get that feeling when I drive the Jeep. When you are behind the wheel you know you are driving the best vehicle for this purpose you can buy. So after you get one and drive it for a while then tell me if you think Toyotas are better. To me Toyotas are just another car not as good as my Jeep.
I have owned a Jeep prior and yes I still think the Toyota's are better quality than the Jeep, and they are better equipped and have better interiors/amenities. They are definitely not just another car. I'm not putting down Jeep at all, we really are considering buying one, it serves the purpose, and we really like them. And they are probably the best 4WD drive vehicle in the market right now for someone who is going to do some serious 4 wheeling. Just a little overpriced for what you get.

But my oldest Toyota, is a 10 year old 4Runner with almost 130,000 miles on it. I do all my own maintenance and the only thing I have ever had to do other than regular maintenance so far is brakes(at 90,000) miles, and I'm on our second set of tires soon to be replaced. It has never been in the shop, not too many can say that. I've owned about 7 Toyotas over the years and never one of them had to be in the shop for repairs. So for your money buying a Toyota, you do get a more comfortable 4WD, that is just as capable for your everyday type 4 wheeling, it just can't be towed 4 down.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:10 AM   #27
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
I recently traded in a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser with a 3.5" lift and 285/70R17 tires. It had 133k miles. It was very capable off road and was great on. It also required no major repairs other than both rear wheel bearings and of course brakes. That's it. It was a great vehicle and I would probably still own it except for it can't be flat towed and I lived in Vermont so I figured I'd better get rid of it before any rust starts showing on the body!

I ended up trading it for a 2016 Jeep Rubicon Wrangle Unlimited. I lifted this also, but went with a 4" lift and 37" tires. I lifted it for specific reasons of to get off road and not worry too much if I'll get back instead of getting stuck.

To compare the two:
Not what we're reallytalking about but the suicide doors were never a favorite of mine...
Now for what we're talking about.
The FJ Cruiser beat hands down the on road performance of my Jeep, even before the lift. The IFS on the FJ served it very well on the road, but is also what makes it not as good off road, everything is a compromise. My Jeep is now a no-compromise off road vehicle, on road, not so great. It gets you there but much more squirrelly on road than the FJ Cruiser. Off road comparing the 2, the Jeep will crush the FJ as it's just set up for off road much better than the FJ could ever be.

But the HUGE advantage the Jeep has over the FJ is flat towing. Shift the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in park and off you go. I could never get a definitive answer if the FJ could ever be set up correctly for flat towing. I could have purchased a trailer for less than the Rubi, but I really didn't want to hassle with parking the trailer at every campsite I go to.

One final thought. If things stay the same, the high expense of the Jeep will be recouped when you sell it as it is and has been the #1 vehicle in holding it's resale value for quite a few of the previous years.
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:28 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Unlike most vehicles, buying a new Wrangler seems like a better deal than used. Used prices are crazy.