Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #29

We purchased a Wrangler Sport new in 2004. It's pretty well loaded with options, and at the time listed for a little over $24,000.00. It now has a little over 50,000 miles on it and is supposedly still worth about $14,000.00 according to Edmunds.

Today I went online to see how their value compares to what people are asking for the same model with the same options. I was shocked to find the average asking price for a similarly equipped Jeep with at least double the mileage is now $19,000.00 to $24,000.00. Some dealers and private parties are asking for more than the unit sold for new with anywhere between 125,000 miles and 165,000 miles on the odometer.

I also went to the Jeep website to build and price the same unit. A 2016 Wrangler similarly equipped to our 2004 lists for $37,495.00

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #30

We have had our 06 Sport Wrangler going on 3 years--towed two Chevy pick-ups prior to that. I too was appalled at used Jeep prices but jumped into a low mileage Jeep that was in great shape. Couldn't resist the temptation to "upgrade" tires, shocks, and 2" spring lift. We are not into rock crawling but have gotten into some pretty nasty back-country trials in the west and southwest--like others have said--the Jeep is just amazing. Fuel mileage is not that good but we didn't buy it for that. Only concern I would have for buying a late model Jeep is the 3.8 engine 2007-thur 2011[???]. Cant believe how many "rebuilt" engines are on the market for these model years.....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #31
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had zero problems with our '07 JK Unlimited Rubicon. 80k miles and it still had the original tires on it. I had no complaints about the mileage, I typically averaged 20. Unfortunately it could not absorb a 50mph hit from the rear while we were stopped at a red light without sustaining damage sufficient to total it. As popular as they are, I have no doubt that someone bought the salvage, repaired it and it's likely back on the road. I couldn't believe what I got for the insurance settlement. Nothing else I can think of would have returned such a percentage after 5 years and 80k miles.

Our 2012 now has 60k miles on it. I've had to replace two wheel speed sensors, something our older Jeeps did not have, and the less aggressive tires on this one needed replacement at 45k, otherwise, simple maintenance costs. As I had the gears changed to 4.10s I get roughly the same mileage I got with the '07, occasionally a bit higher. Before I changed out the gears I'd easily get north of 22mpg.
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As the original poster was only venting. No one NEEDS a 4x4 unless you make a living hauling stuff over terrain. 4x4s, especially Jeeps are really a expensive toy. The one person showing pictures of a vehicle at 45 degree angle just emphasizes the fact that these are just like RVs. No one needs one, they just want one. It's amazing what lengths people go to justifying their unnecessary purchase (myself included). If it makes you happy, and you can afford it, then just buy it! Quit complaining about how much your unnecessary purchase costs.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
As the original poster was only venting. No one NEEDS a 4x4 unless you make a living hauling stuff over terrain. 4x4s, especially Jeeps are really a expensive toy. The one person showing pictures of a vehicle at 45 degree angle just emphasizes the fact that these are just like RVs. No one needs one, they just want one. It's amazing what lengths people go to justifying their unnecessary purchase (myself included). If it makes you happy, and you can afford it, then just buy it! Quit complaining about how much your unnecessary purchase costs.
Need is in the eye of the beholder. I bought my first 4 wheel drive trucks when I was in the road service and plowing business. Over the years I've had nearly a dozen 4x4 work trucks, and I doubt I would have been able to accomplish what I did without them. Several of them have been tasked with pulling trailer loads of construction and landscaping equipment over rough terrain and newly created sub divisions. Others have gone cross country pulling errant drivers out of corn fields and forests, as well as plowing snow from residential streets, driveways, and parking lots.

When you get used to the options available with 4 wheel drive (especially full time 4 wheel drive) it's hard to go back to either front wheel or rear wheel drive only vehicles. We may not "need" a 4x4 truck or Jeep, but it makes getting to and from the house a lot easier when we wake up to 2 ft. of snow and see on the local television that the plows won't be able to plow residential or nonessential streets until the following day.

Now a days I'm more inclined to wait out a big storm, but in years past that wasn't an option. The fact of the matter is I've grown so accustomed to 4x4 trucks I would be hard pressed to think of buying or driving anything else.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Need is in the eye of the beholder. I bought my first 4 wheel drive trucks when I was in the road service and plowing business.
Now a days I'm more inclined to wait out a big storm, but in years past that wasn't an option. The fact of the matter is I've grown so accustomed to 4x4 trucks I would be hard pressed to think of buying or driving anything else.
I think the whole point of this thread, is that what you get for the money in the Jeep Wrangler, is no where near what you would get in a 4WD truck, or other brand 4WD, that will do basically the same thing for what type of 4 wheeling most people use them for, with a much better ride on the regular roads/freeways. As high priced as they are I would take it out on dirt roads, fire trails ect, or in the snow but certainly wouldn't do any rock crawling with a brand new one. But like what one poster said this is one vehicle where it is a no brainer to buy a new one rather than used. For a couple thousand dollars more at least you will know it wasn't abused in any way. As in anything like said prior, if you want your Toys you have to pay for it, otherwise most of us would have never bought a MH to begin with.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #35

I own three wranglers and agree they are overpriced. Bought 1 new and the other two cost me a total of 5000. Granted they needed a lot of work. Now have you priced a polaris razor 1000 lately. Makes the wrangler look like a steal. And don't get me started on Polaris quality of build.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:27 AM   #36

Ford Edge AWD behind a Ellipse 40TD. Very nice!
Old 08-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #37

This thread makes me chuckle.

I just bought a brand new Wrangler Unlimited Sport to use as a dinghy and I *love* it. I will admit that it was unexpectedly pricey and as such we ordered a stripped down model. With the price for lightly used models being almost equivalent to new ones, we went with new to make sure we got what we wanted. I was shocked to see that you can still order a vehicle with roll down windows. Glad that my daughter gets to experience them.

But are they overpriced? It doesn't appear to be the case as they sell everyone they make and they get snapped up very quickly. Seems like the market will bear the cost, which in our economic system, means that they are not overpriced.

If you want one, pony up. If nobody buys then the price will come down. Since they are selling the h*ll out of them, seems like they are not overpriced. I get a chuckle out of society because most all of us go to work daily, or used to go to work daily in the case of retirees, trying to make money by getting others to pay more for something than was spent for its creation. Then when we go to buy something we complain because we don't want to pay market price for someone else doing the exact same thing.
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Yes,
Without a doubt, the JK models, especially the 2012s are way up there in used prices. The 2007-2011 model JK has the Junk 3.8L engine that's way under powered and gets lousy gas mileage. But, in 2012, the JK was re-born with the new Pentastar V-6 3.6L with 85HP more and seriously better gas mileage. Not that it's the greatest gas mileage but, it's better than the older models for sure.

We just sold, (about 2 days ago) our 2003 TJ Rubicon for $19K with 31K miles on the clock. (pictured below) It was pretty close to pristine and, could and would, go anywhere you pointed it. We are at present, also looking at anywhere from a 2012 to a new '16 Rubicon. Yep, there's no real justification for those kinds of prices, not for a rolling Kleenex box that is supposed to get 17-21 mpg.

But, it's like anything else in this world, if you want to play, you'll have to PAY!!

To the OP, if you want a nice performing Jeep Wrangler, without breaking the bank (too bad), may I suggest a nice later TJ model. You'll still be close to the $15-$20K range but, for that kind of money, you'll get pretty dog gone nice. You can pay less but, you'll start delving into the really high mileage and fairly worn out models.

When it comes to Jeeps, especially later models, TJs and JKs, they do seem to be holding values fairly well. The TJ was a vast improvement over the YJ which, was the brainchild of Chrysler when they took Jeep over from AMC. Not a lot of true Jeeping folks were happy with SQUARE HEADLIGHTS!

Then, in 1997, Jeep/Chrysler introduced a total revamped Jeep, the TJ model. Way better coil spring suspension and other attributes. The Rubicon was introduced in 2003 and, that Jeep, is close the best equipped/outfitted Jeep, RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX that you could get, for quality off roading and, fair road manors.

Then, in 2007, Jeep did it again, with the introduction of the JK model. The rest is history. We've had EIGHT JEEPS and two Grand Cherokee Overland models. We'll see what we end up with in the near future.
Scott

Resale red that helps the value
Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #39

PDB Blue - I have read Consumer Reports for 50 years. Their dissing of the Jeep did concern me. What they mostly complained about was the on road manners. They are right. The Jeep does not have good on road manners compared to most cars designed for on road. But the Wrangler is fine around town (this is all just my opinion). But the Wrangler compensates for absolutely the best off road manners. I love driving it off road.

And as I said I have had zero repairs. You cannot improve on zero.

Toyotas have a characteristic problem that plagues the three I have owned and many I have driven. Their suspensions ride like 1963 Buicks. Soft, mussy, with poor handling. It is not unsafe it is just unfun. The last two I have owned were both Avalons. Both great cars that drove like a yachts around corners. The ride was very comfortable on the highway, but crap on a twisty. IMHO Honda or Chevy have a much better handle of suspension design to give good highway and handle well than Toyota.

By the way Consumer Reports says exactly the same thing as I just said in their write ups of the 2008 Avalon. When Toyota Avalon updated a couple of years later Consumers Reports downgraded their rating because they said the Avalon now had stiff punishing suspension.

And Toyota does not give an OK to any flat towing, so all this does not matter if you want to flat tow.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post
This thread makes me chuckle.

I just bought a brand new Wrangler Unlimited Sport to use as a dinghy and I *love* it. I will admit that it was unexpectedly pricey and as such we ordered a stripped down model. With the price for lightly used models being almost equivalent to new ones, we went with new to make sure we got what we wanted. I was shocked to see that you can still order a vehicle with roll down windows. Glad that my daughter gets to experience them.

But are they overpriced? It doesn't appear to be the case as they sell everyone they make and they get snapped up very quickly. Seems like the market will bear the cost, which in our economic system, means that they are not overpriced.

If you want one, pony up. If nobody buys then the price will come down. Since they are selling the h*ll out of them, seems like they are not overpriced. I get a chuckle out of society because most all of us go to work daily, or used to go to work daily in the case of retirees, trying to make money by getting others to pay more for something than was spent for its creation. Then when we go to buy something we complain because we don't want to pay market price for someone else doing the exact same thing.
I believe the roll up windows are for those that want to fjord streams or run through other "deep water" obstacles. In years past the depth of the water the vehicle was rated to cross was dependent on the options selected. Electric window motors are not water proof and are located near the bottoms of the doors.

The depth of the water that can be crossed with a vehicle equipped with power windows (without ruining the motors) would be substantially less than those without them. There was an addendum note in our owners manual that cautioned to keep the water level below the bottom of the instrument panel.

I've gotten caught in a couple downpours with the top off. I was driving through water over the bumpers and rain was literally filling the passengers compartment up over the bottoms of the doors. When the sun came out again I removed the carpeting, opened the floor drain hole covers, and let everything drain out. It took a couple days for everything to dry out, but there was no damage.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Since we recently purchased our class A and none of our current vehicles are towable without modifications, we are searching for a toad and are seriously looking at the Wrangle Unlimited. In our area we are seeing the prices for 2-3 year old ones are within $1500 of the price of a new one so we have decided to go the new route. I don't want to go older than a 2012 model due to the engine change that year but I can't see paying new prices for a moderately used vehicle. We tend to keep a new vehicle for an average of eight + years so I hope we will see good value in the jeep we buy.

I'm wondering if it is reasonable to ask the dealer to install the wiring and base plate for towing as either part of the deal or at a significant discount. It's not that I can't do it myself, it's just trying to save myself the time and or aggravation. Has anyone else had these things done as part of the deal on a new vehicle or is it worth negotiating for?
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berryfarmer View Post
I'm wondering if it is reasonable to ask the dealer to install the wiring and base plate for towing as either part of the deal or at a significant discount. It's not that I can't do it myself, it's just trying to save myself the time and or aggravation. Has anyone else had these things done as part of the deal on a new vehicle or is it worth negotiating for?
We installed the wiring and base plate ourselves but that might be a good idea after almost finalizing a deal to say "OK I'm good with that if you install my base plate & wiring".

About how expensive Jeeps are. Like already said, they sell every one they build in a hurry so if you don't want to pay, someone else gets your Jeep. We also opted for new because there was so little difference in price between a newer used and new.

If you buy something else and save money, well that's fine by me. You won't have a Jeep and I have one hahaha

About poor fuel economy. It's a real 4X4 with a manual transfer case, they don't get good MPG.

HD4Mark is online now   Reply With Quote