Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
About poor fuel economy. It's a real 4X4 with a manual transfer case, they don't get good MPG.
As far as this forum goes.... can't bitch about fuel economy when the jeep MPG is better than the motorhome pulling it. Guess the same can be said about the original topic, price/value.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #44

A little off topic but it's Jeep and RV related. I obtained a quote today from LaMesa RV for the Blue Ox tow system with Patriot brake for my JK. To include labor........$ 4500.00 !

Yes the JKs are expensive, but they get terrible gas mileage !

Old 08-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #45

It's customers like my Wife that keeps the price up. Price be damned, she wants a Rubicon Unlimited decked out to be the meanest and biggest. Note, she is 78 years old and 5' on her tiptoes.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
It's customers like my Wife that keeps the price up. Price be damned, she wants a Rubicon Unlimited decked out to be the meanest and biggest. Note, she is 78 years old and 5' on her tiptoes.

I'm 5'6" and I have to do a pull-up on the roll bar to get into our TJ. What kind do step does she use to get in?
Old 08-05-2016, 11:28 PM   #47
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
I went with a 4" lift and 37" tires. I'm 6' tall and it was still an effort to get into. I did not want normal steps that could get damaged off road so went with Rock-Slide Engineering (https://www.rockslideengineering.com) step sliders. Not cheap but the hit everything I wanted. Now just a step in and the steps disappear into the sliders.
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
I'm 5'6" and I have to do a pull-up on the roll bar to get into our TJ. What kind do step does she use to get in?
We don't have it yet. Our '06 Commander only has 110,000 miles on it and it hasn't missed a beat. Purrs like a kitten. The Rubicon will replace it when the time comes. I was thinking AMP steps to make it east for entry, but the link by 4x4 was interesting. I like that product. My Wife is very flexible and can get in and out of almost anything. Her years of arobics is paying off. She still does an elliptical, total gym, TV DVD exercises, Hula Hup, Walks miles here in the mountains, etc. I can't keep up with her. She will bury me!
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #49

FWIW, I currently have a 1998 TJ Sahara for sale, it is set up for towing and runs great, it's a good looking Jeep in very good condition. It just turned over 83,000 miles.
In the last 3 years I have replaced / upgraded many items on the jeep to the tune of over 18K (includes price I paid for the jeep), I am asking $13,500 for the jeep,
I can provide a list of all work done and pic's if interested.
I am selling my TJ because I now have a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited that we tow behind our motorhome.

I realize the price may seem high for a 1998 but I have put a lot of money into making it what it is. No accidents, original paint in exe condition and hardtop.

Let me know if interested.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:40 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
We don't have it yet. Our '06 Commander only has 110,000 miles on it and it hasn't missed a beat. Purrs like a kitten. The Rubicon will replace it when the time comes. I was thinking AMP steps to make it east for entry, but the link by 4x4 was interesting. I like that product. My Wife is very flexible and can get in and out of almost anything. Her years of arobics is paying off. She still does an elliptical, total gym, TV DVD exercises, Hula Hup, Walks miles here in the mountains, etc. I can't keep up with her. She will bury me!

That's terrific, I love hearing that! I have no trouble getting in, I also stay fit, and the required action does keep my core in good shape, but it does get old and it's not very lady like.........
Old 08-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #51

Jeep gladiator and pricing

I have a 2008 Sahara Unlimited 4 door and it's a great vehicle. Tows great and fun to drive. Regarding the 3.8 engine whats the problem ??? I get 20++ for fuel economy and have lots of power. I would of liked the 285 hp Penstar but it's not really a big deal. My price , used , was $17k CDN.
** I here the new Jeep Gladiator pickup is coming to Jeep dealers soon. Not a bad looking rig. Should tow good like any other Jeep and the pickup box is always handy. Price may scare us !!!
Happy Trails to all.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #52

We decided to wait for the new Wrangler Unlimited with the weight loss and new auto tranny. Will make an excellent toad. Wait is going to be tough!
Old 08-07-2016, 01:05 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No matter what you decide to go with, if it is a Jeep and an Automatic Tranny then you have to ensure the Transfer case has a Neutral Position. In most cases the Tranny will have a small button "N". this is to put it into Neutral for 4 Flat towing.
Take a look at the GM side of the house if you want to see the difference in cost for 4 Flat towable cars/suv's.
When in doubt make sure to check out the Owners manual for verification of 4 Flat Towable, do NOT trust the dealer.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:46 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
A little off topic but it's Jeep and RV related. I obtained a quote today from LaMesa RV for the Blue Ox tow system with Patriot brake for my JK. To include labor........$ 4500.00 !

Yes the JKs are expensive, but they get terrible gas mileage !
Now thats insane $4500
Old 08-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #55

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGator View Post
Wranglers are overpriced. However, they have one of the highest resale values of any vehicle. I special ordered my 2015 JK two door (future towed) because the used JKs were going for as much as the new ones. The sales person showed me a nice clean 2012 JK with 30K miles on it and it was only about $1500 less than what I paid for my new 2015!
I agree. Sold my 2009 $29k two door JK for $23.5 in 2014 and just bought a 2016 for door unlimited. I was surprised when I looked at the slightly used marked (>2013 models with low mirage and found those in good shape commanding high enough prices that buying new seemed to make just as much sense.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #56

I love my 2006 TJ--not so great on black-top or on fuel mileage but great on the trail. This is are 3rd year of exploring the back country with it and its been a blast. SUVs or "city" Jeeps might get you up/down the typical Forest Service road but a lightly modified Wrangler will do about everything, short of "rock crawling". Yup--its an expensive toy but gosh--you only go around once--this ain't a "dress rehearsal" for life you know...so go for it!!!!!!

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote