Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post
This thread makes me chuckle.

I just bought a brand new Wrangler Unlimited Sport to use as a dinghy and I *love* it. I will admit that it was unexpectedly pricey and as such we ordered a stripped down model. With the price for lightly used models being almost equivalent to new ones, we went with new to make sure we got what we wanted. I was shocked to see that you can still order a vehicle with roll down windows. Glad that my daughter gets to experience them.

But are they overpriced? It doesn't appear to be the case as they sell everyone they make and they get snapped up very quickly. Seems like the market will bear the cost, which in our economic system, means that they are not overpriced.

If you want one, pony up. If nobody buys then the price will come down. Since they are selling the h*ll out of them, seems like they are not overpriced. I get a chuckle out of society because most all of us go to work daily, or used to go to work daily in the case of retirees, trying to make money by getting others to pay more for something than was spent for its creation. Then when we go to buy something we complain because we don't want to pay market price for someone else doing the exact same thing.
Well,
The new ones MAY be selling at a decent rate but, as I stated earlier in this thread, we just sold our '03 Rubi (pictured in that post) and, are in the market for a '12 or newer. We've been watching C/L now for a few weeks and, we've seen many of the models we're looking at, stay on C/L for quite some time. Some have been on there for over 30 days. So, while they may be COMMANDING high prices for used ones, I don't know just how fast, in reality, many are selling and, just EXACTLY WHAT are folks getting in relation to what they're asking for these rolling Kleenex boxes.

We've built a few brand new ones online and, with the equipment we'd like, which is not the top of the line, we're hovering dangerously close to around $43K - $45K. Now, that does not include sales tax and or, any other dealer prep cr@p.

But, one thing in our favor here in AZ is, NO USED CAR SALES TAX!! So, if we take that into account, there could be a substantial cost difference between two identical Jeeps, one brand new and one say, a '13-'15. We'll see.

Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
I love my 2006 TJ--not so great on black-top or on fuel mileage but great on the trail. This is are 3rd year of exploring the back country with it and its been a blast. SUVs or "city" Jeeps might get you up/down the typical Forest Service road but a lightly modified Wrangler will do about everything, short of "rock crawling". Yup--its an expensive toy but gosh--you only go around once--this ain't a "dress rehearsal" for life you know...so go for it!!!!!!
What is your definition of a "city" jeep. What are the light mods needed to the Wrangler.

Jerry

Old 08-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It doesn't seem like the Wrangler is so much overpriced, but rather it retains its resale value really, really, really well. I see ten year old Jeeps selling for $15K. That's amazing when you consider the MSRP of a 2006 Jeep wasn't much more than that.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #60

That Rubicon is one of the nicest Jeeps I have ever seen. Everything about it stands out. I like them looking clean and tough without all the jeep aftermarket plastic junk on them. You know your Jeep's !
Old 08-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #61

Fire up

Last post was for Fire Up , excuse me I should have Pm'd. Not quite awake yet ! But great Jeep and a good deal for new owner.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
I love my 2006 TJ--not so great on black-top or on fuel mileage but great on the trail. This is are 3rd year of exploring the back country with it and its been a blast. SUVs or "city" Jeeps might get you up/down the typical Forest Service road but a lightly modified Wrangler will do about everything, short of "rock crawling". Yup--its an expensive toy but gosh--you only go around once--this ain't a "dress rehearsal" for life you know...so go for it!!!!!!
This thread is certainly entertaining! There are many Jeeps that folks overlook... would it surprise you to learn that a new stock Trailhawk has completed Devil's Punchbowl & Black Bear Pass among many others? Experienced Jeepers wouldn't consider those the typical Forest Service road... and *gasp* they have been successfully run by many stock vehicles, including "city" Jeeps!! FWIW, not piloted by rookies or the faint of heart.

I see you're based out of Midland. Next time your travels bring you near the Hill Country give me a shout. We'll meet at Wolf Caves near Mason and spend a day on the trails. Might give you a new perspective of "SUV or city Jeeps". Our Jeep club simply refers to us (respectfully) as the "station wagons".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13879188_1756980851243373_7598855960059468225_n.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	135294   Click image for larger version

Name:	13920932_1756979887910136_8889448157587526546_n.jpg
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	135302  

Click image for larger version

Name:	13669217_1756980991243359_2842358773754473059_n.jpg
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	135310   Click image for larger version

Name:	13912772_1756980047910120_6350524028552562148_n.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	135311  

Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
Last post was for Fire Up , excuse me I should have Pm'd. Not quite awake yet ! But great Jeep and a good deal for new owner.
Rider,
I surely appreciate the nice comment. By the looks of it, many would think that Jeep has never left the pavement. Quite the contrary. It's been on about 95% of Moabs trails, end to end, and, ALL of Colorado's Ouray/Silverton trails including Black Bear, Pokipsie Gulch, Anamis forks, and more, All of CAs Truckhaven playground, Anza Borrego and more. To the un-experienced folks who don't know any of those areas, if you have any spirited adventure in you in your travels, I'd highly recommend any and all of them. And, NO, Just because one builds a Jeep to do serious off roading, doesn't mean "Rock Crawling".

The term Rock Crawling has been so over used it's not even funny. There are zillions of trails out there in multiple states, counties and more that are quite adventurous, pretty darn good challenges, fun and exciting as well as seriously SCENIC to be driven on. And they are not ROCK CRAWLING!

If one want's to see TRUE ROCK CRAWLING, google or youtube Moabs "Lower or Upper Hellderado", Pritchet Canyon and maybe even Metal Masher. Another youtube or google for the ultra serious "Rock Crawling" is the California's Johnson Valley. There'a few there, Sledge Hammer, Jack Hammer are a few there. Most of those, are GUARANTEED to do body damage.

We've been on the actual "Rubicon" trail in No CAL near Lake Tahoe and, folks, again, if you've got adventure and a willingness to see some of the most beautiful country there is in the USA, head up to that trail. I will say though, a bone stocker Jeep, ANY MODEL will have issues negotiating that trail, end to end.

Sorry to the OP here. Did not mean to deviate from the original topic of cost for Jeeps. Many of us have bought many Jeeps in the past. And, as anyone can read, we've used them extensively off road, all over the U.S. Some have done it with bone stockers and many, like myself, have done extensive modifications so that trail running is more able to be accomplished, based on the knowledge and driver ability, the Jeeps capabilities, the complexity of the trail i.e. serious obstacles, ruts, hills, sand, snow, mud, and a whole lot more.

Many RVers that tow Jeeps, NEVER plan on taking them off road. They purchased them for various reasons, one of the most important is, the Jeep Wrangler is pretty much close to the top of the list as the easiest to set up to tow. Many just like the looks and the utilitarian "rough appearance" curb-jumping mall runner mystique. If we end up with the one we want, it will be number NINE for us in regular Jeep Wranglers, not including two Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland models. Never in my life have I EVER thought I'd even THINK about paying close to or over, FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS (American dollars at at that) for darn Jeep. Man, this is NUTS!
Scott
Old 08-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just towed our 97 TJ to the Redwoods and up to Oregon and back to CO. I wanted to "see" the Redwoods so we left the hardtop at home and put on the softop.

Just some notes:

The Jeep towed fine

There just weren't a lot of places to actually get off road in the CA State Parks, they wanted feet.

No matter how much I love the Jeep, it is definitely NOT a highway car. We put a lot of miles up and down 101 with it, and it was noisy, underpowered, and even though it has AC, it struggles with the hardtop. I think we may be in the market for an alternative (still keep the Jeep). A newer Wrangler or maybe a pickup. We met some folks that pulled their Silverado everywhere with their 400hp like ours.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
I too had some serious sticker shock last year when we started looking at a new Wrangler for use as our toad. Seemed like anything with four doors, a hard top and the typical convenience options were in the $32K+ price range and went up from there depending on options. I think I might have even been a little more surprised when I started looking at used Wranglers and realized that used prices don't seem to drop much.

We then peeked at the section of nicely appointed Jeep Liberty models - fresh in off of lease. We picked up a nicely appointed 2012 model with just 12,031 miles on it for $1 less than $20K. Granted - it isn't the "off road" vehicle that a Wrangler is - but it offers the same towability as the Wrangler, a somewhat reduced "off road" capability, at a fraction of the price. The practicality of the Liberty (as compared to the Wrangler) combined with the price made it the easy choice for us.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
QUESTION... Does anyone have an idea for "something like a jeep that is more reasonably priced"?
You didn't mention price, but how about a Jeep Liberty 4-wheel drive, KK-series, from 2008-2012? You can flat tow it and it is easy to put the transfer case into neutral from the drivers seat. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #67

We too have shopped new and used wranglers, we want a two door, must have air, other items may not mean much to us. This is our rv vehicle, not driven daily.

I have looked everywhere, thought that I had finally found the wrangler today, a 2013 Sport with about 50,000 miles. Price seemed pretty good.

Walking around the lot I notice one two door wrangler, only one and a Sahara. Walked over to admire it and found a note next to the window sticker, $6,000. off. I asked our sales person is this 6k off the manufacturer sticker price, she replied yes just that one, featured in a ad we are running this coming weekend.

I said sold, bought the new 16 Sahara for 2k more than the 2013 sport. Did have to give up the auto transmission but figured I already had a year or two depreciation, plus new tires and a new car warranty.

Steve
Old 08-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Sahara is a nice compliment of options, and is probably what we would target if we go with the Wrangler.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #69
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
I said sold, bought the new 16 Sahara for 2k more than the 2013 sport. Did have to give up the auto transmission but figured I already had a year or two depreciation, plus new tires and a new car warranty.

Steve
Nice purchase Steve. I look forward to seeing it here at the lake.
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
We too have shopped new and used wranglers, we want a two door, must have air, other items may not mean much to us. This is our rv vehicle, not driven daily.

I have looked everywhere, thought that I had finally found the wrangler today, a 2013 Sport with about 50,000 miles. Price seemed pretty good.

Walking around the lot I notice one two door wrangler, only one and a Sahara. Walked over to admire it and found a note next to the window sticker, $6,000. off. I asked our sales person is this 6k off the manufacturer sticker price, she replied yes just that one, featured in a ad we are running this coming weekend.

Steve
As stated earlier, we too are looking for a newer JKUR but, there's no way, just about with any discount, we could do like Steve did and that is, go to a STICK!

We've both shifted our last sticks, A LONG, LONG TIME AGO. With the exception of my GL 1800 Goldwing, there will never be another stick in our life. It's a preference thing for sure. Some like'm and some don't. If it works for you, by all means, enjoy. We're done shifting.
Scott