Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
When we first entered "Jeeping" way back about 30-35 years ago, we were using the old "CJ"s. In those days, the manufacturer was AMC, (American Motors Corporation). "Just Empty Every Pocket" was one of the monikers. The other one was: "Just Everyone Elses Parts". The reason that one came about was because in the AMC ownership of Jeep, when you looked under the hood of one of those CJs, you'd see an AMC engine, a Ford solenoid and in some cases, a GM Starter and I think, you'd also see a GM alternator.
My first CJ was the 68 by Kaiser. Talk about a misfit out there, had to buy it through the Buick Dealer ($3,028.00) and then the Dealer would put a top on it from Best Buy and hubs from Warn. All electrical was Motorola. The Kaiser Jeep had a 4 cyl, or the Buick Dauntless V-6 with an oil bath air cleaner which was a rocket compared to the 4. Combined with a Warn overdrive, you could actually get to 65 mph.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
My first CJ was the 68 by Kaiser. Talk about a misfit out there, had to buy it through the Buick Dealer ($3,028.00) and then the Dealer would put a top on it from Best Buy and hubs from Warn. All electrical was Motorola. The Kaiser Jeep had a 4 cyl, or the Buick Dauntless V-6 with an oil bath air cleaner which was a rocket compared to the 4. Combined with a Warn overdrive, you could actually get to 65 mph.
($3,028.00)

Just a bit less than the almost "$50K" that some of these are out the door huh?
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #101

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Just wait till you get your first Quadratec Catalog!! It's like Toys-For-Jeeps!
Yes! Exactly! I got one from my Son In Law and I'm in trouble already.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:22 AM   #102

Quote:
($3,028.00)

Scott
So in the scheme of things they were expensive even back then. My dad bought a loaded Chevy Impala that year and only paid a couple hundred more than the Jeep.

In 1969 I bought a Chevy Nova with a number of bells and whistles for less than $2,500.00.

In 1972 I tried to buy a CJ. At the time I had a 66 Mustang in like new condition with about 50,000 miles on the odometer. When I wanted to trade the Mustang in for partial payment on the Jeep the dealer wasn't interested.

I never tried to buy a Jeep again until 2005. At that time I had permission to buy "anything I wanted". It sounded great so I lined out a Rubicon with all the goodies. When it came to picking the color I asked the wife for some input.

She definitely wanted YELLOW. Unfortunately the Wrangler didn't come in yellow for 2005. We ended up buying a leftover 2004 Sport with both the tops a fancy stereo, automatic transmission and a bunch of other goodies. The price was in the low $20,000.00 range since it was a previous model year.

It turned out to be a great Jeep. We still have it. It still has only slightly over 50,000 miles on the odometer, about half of it being off road. It's been towed behind the motorhome more than double that distance. It still looks and runs like new, so it'll be in the family for many years to come.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #103

I paid for my Wrangler. They hold their value purdy good.
Many miles of off road seeing things most will not.
My Jeep is more fun than a barrel of buicks!
YMMV
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #104

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
($3,028.00)

Scott
Funny thing is, if I still had it and it was in reasonable shape, I would probably ask over $10K for it. Unfortunately, true to their form, my brother rolled it and totalled it
Old 08-27-2016, 07:37 AM   #105

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I bought my 1964 J162 Wagoneer back in the early 80's for $300. Drove it for a few years and sold it for $300. What a deal. Except for the $1000 or so I put into it to keep it running. It wasn't pretty but it would go through anything.

DW's Jeep was expensive but it's what she wanted and we both keep our vehicles for a long time. So what it boils down to is if you want to play, you gotta pay.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
She definitely wanted YELLOW. Unfortunately the Wrangler didn't come in yellow for 2005.
I wanted yellow myself! Jeep stopped making it....again...in 2016 :(

I looked at this one to show her, and she said she didn't know it would be THAT yellow! I hesitated, and gone. It think I'm OK with that. Maybe a black roof would tone it down a bit. That one was stickered over $40K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-28 2016 Jeep Yellow-008.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	137288  
Old 08-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #107

A Jeep owner does not have to justify what he paid for it. It's like owning a Harley. It's more of a lifestyle and if you have to explain it to someone, they wouldn't understand it anyway. I couldn't begin to explain why I have close to $50,000 stuck into my 2005 stretched LJ Wrangler. (and I can't flat tow it because the Atlas TC doesn't like towing) I would have to take you through Collateral Damage, King Cobra, Black Mamba, or Black Viper to see why it was worth it. Like the saying goes, "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys"
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Into the stratosphere

A local dealer has a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon listed for just over $127k. I'd say that's getting up into the luxury line of vehicles!
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:23 AM   #109

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
A local dealer has a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon listed for just over $127k. I'd say that's getting up into the luxury line of vehicles!
Yikes! as cool as that thing is they have to be dreaming. As much as I like Jeeps I think for that kind of money I would be looking at something else.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #110

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
That one was even a frame stretch to get that wheelbase. Not surprised at that price. This guy gets $80K for his:

ICON4x4 • REFORMERS PAST PROJECTS
Old 08-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #111

Monaco Owners Club
Complete rebuild on a 1977 CJ5 that I owned back in 1985 and recently found for sale on a local swap page on FB! Thought it was too cool to have found this Jeep again. Have a pic of my daughter standing next to it when she was just a few years old and she's 32 now. Wife should her head a little when I came home with it and then laughing nicknamed it Franky - short for Frankenstein. It was definitely in rough shape. I've stripped it down, replaced rusted floor panels, cleaned and painted chassis. Almost ready to shoot the body. Cool project and looking forward to flat towing it behind the rig on a Colorado trip!
Old 08-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC06 View Post
Complete rebuild on a 1977 CJ5 that I owned back in 1985 and recently found for sale on a local swap page on FB! Thought it was too cool to have found this Jeep again. Have a pic of my daughter standing next to it when she was just a few years old and she's 32 now. Wife should her head a little when I came home with it and then laughing nicknamed it Franky - short for Frankenstein. It was definitely in rough shape. I've stripped it down, replaced rusted floor panels, cleaned and painted chassis. Almost ready to shoot the body. Cool project and looking forward to flat towing it behind the rig on a Colorado trip!
A braver man than I! I pulled this 72 out of mother in laws garage last fall, fully intending to restore it. The more I looked at it, the more work I began to see it needed. Got it running and took Dory for a ride and she said never again! It was a little squishy in the turns. Reluctantly sold it. It sold in about 2 hours on Craigslist for $2800, so I probably undersold it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1972 Jeep CJ5 Universal-002.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	137302   Click image for larger version

Name:	1972 Jeep CJ5 Universal-020.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	137303