Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #113

I do agree that they are expensive for what they are however every vehicle is expensive. When a base Honda Civic starts at $19,000 vs $27,700 for a wrangler unlimited is it really that bad? Yes a fully loaded unlimited can get over $50k and I would think once the type r civic is released that should be well into the $30k area....

My 16 JKU RHR had a sticker of $48k however when I looked at getting a used one, they hold their value so well it was worth paying slightly more for new to get a new one.

There really isn't anything else close to a wrangler, be it good or bad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 09:39 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
I do agree that they are expensive for what they are however every vehicle is expensive. When a base Honda Civic starts at $19,000 vs $27,700 for a wrangler unlimited is it really that bad? Yes a fully loaded unlimited can get over $50k and I would think once the type r civic is released that should be well into the $30k area....

My 16 JKU RHR had a sticker of $48k however when I looked at getting a used one, they hold their value so well it was worth paying slightly more for new to get a new one.

There really isn't anything else close to a wrangler, be it good or bad.
Yes Sir,
As I stated way earlier in this thread, a new pickup, as in say, a new F-150 Platinum with the twin turbo V-6 and every bell and whistle you can get, is sitting DANGEROUSLY close to $60,000, FOR A HALF TON PICKUP. So, as they say, "it is what it is". Our recent purchase is the 2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon with almost EVERY bell and whistle, you can get with 27K miles on it for $41,000 out the door. That Jeep is absolutely flawless, inside and out and, has lots of remaining factory warranty left along with a deal I got from them to extend the bumper to bumper for a mear $300 for another 18 months and 48,000 miles.

We built one on line, EXACTLY like what we purchased and, without a doubt, a brand new '16, exactly like what we have, would be just over $48,000 out the door. So, yes, in many respects, the used ARE close to new ones but, in our case, we'd have to fork out, $7,000 more, for a brand new one when this one is so close to new. We're insanely happy with it. (all except for those dumb-a$$ mud tires). Those are scheduled to disappear within the next week or so for some new All Terrains.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:48 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Yes Sir,
As I stated way earlier in this thread, a new pickup, as in say, a new F-150 Platinum with the twin turbo V-6 and every bell and whistle you can get, is sitting DANGEROUSLY close to $60,000, FOR A HALF TON PICKUP. So, as they say, "it is what it is". Our recent purchase is the 2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon with almost EVERY bell and whistle, you can get with 27K miles on it for $41,000 out the door. That Jeep is absolutely flawless, inside and out and, has lots of remaining factory warranty left along with a deal I got from them to extend the bumper to bumper for a mear $300 for another 18 months and 48,000 miles.

We built one on line, EXACTLY like what we purchased and, without a doubt, a brand new '16, exactly like what we have, would be just over $48,000 out the door. So, yes, in many respects, the used ARE close to new ones but, in our case, we'd have to fork out, $7,000 more, for a brand new one when this one is so close to new. We're insanely happy with it. (all except for those dumb-a$$ mud tires). Those are scheduled to disappear within the next week or so for some new All Terrains.
Scott
I didn't get a chance to read all the posts in this thread... Thus I missed your f150 comment. I feel those vehicles are also way overpriced, thus often times dealerships will give big discounts before negotiations even begin! When my now X wife purchased her Ford Flex v6t we were able to get close to $15k off the $60k ish sticker.... Most of that discount was rebates and she still lost her a$$ when she sold it a few years later after our divorce.

With my rubicon heard rock there were several options that I didn't want on the vehicle due to not needing it and/or wanting to go aftermarket like the oem nav which is a joke at $1,000 as well as a few other items. I did consider the rubicon but after I added the options I wanted on that vehicle the price was under $1k more for the hard rock which then came with the different hood that I wanted, partially because I think it looks cool and mostly due to wanting the extra cooling the vents create.... That is after I took a Dremel to it to let it breath.

I also negotiated what I thought was a good/decent price plus and also ordered it before the price increas so if I recall I paid approx $44k out the doors or my RHR.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:59 PM   #116

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used to have a '94 Cherokee Sport, bought new, and put about 150K miles on it in about 4 years without any major problems. I now have an '11 Liberty and it's a POS. I got it to replace the Trailblazer I was using for a toad and was slowly coming apart. This thing only averages about 15 mpg, goes into passing on ANY hill, even with only one person in it, drips oil in the driveway and the dealer can't find the leak and wanders around behind the MH following any rut it can find on the freeway.
I am currently looking for a low mileage, latest model available,stock 4.0L Cherokee sport that I can find for my driver and toad. I'm gonna get rid of that Liberty.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:26 AM   #117

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm still pulling my Jeep Wrangler Sport (TJ) 2 door with the inline 6 cylinder and have no intension of getting rid of it in my lifetime. It's light weight, does everything I ask it to, tows 4 down and is a hardtop. Here in the NW having a hardtop is worth its weight in gold. Yes we've put a lot of miles on it and yes a newer Jeep might be nice to have, but not for what we use it for. My motorhome doesn't even notice it's behind us. Just finished a 6 week trip with it as our Toad and loved every minute of it.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #118
RVM1

Jeep prices RIDICULOUS!!!

Me and many of our Jeeper pals are quite amazed at the number of BIG $ Wranglers out there that are totally pristine. They are primped and pimped to the max, but are only highly capable trophies that will not go where we do, nor see the glorious stuff.
I have no offense to those that display their Wranglers, but I am totally proud of my "experience marks" from palo verde trees, rocks, etc.
And it truly futile to keep mine clean. So I don't!
What say you?
Dave
12 JK Sport

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Me and many of our Jeeper pals are quite amazed at the number of BIG $ Wranglers out there that are totally pristine. They are primped and pimped to the max, but are only highly capable trophies that will not go where we do, nor see the glorious stuff.
I have no offense to those that display their Wranglers, but I am totally proud of my "experience marks" from palo verde trees, rocks, etc.
And it truly futile to keep mine clean. So I don't!
What say you?
Dave
12 JK Sport
Dave,
I don't know about other countries but, the U.S. is seriously full of "street" Jeeps. I know of many who'd purchased top of line, fully equipped Rubicons, from the year they started, in 2003, to brand new in '16 and, those jeeps have NEVER, EVER seen and will never see any OFF ROAD excursions. I'm no Psychologist or, Psychiatrist but, for the life of me, I will NEVER figure out why, a person would purchase a Jeep Rubicon, close to the top of the list of the most capable off road machines, RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX, and have no intentions of EVER using it in any form of off road adventures, much less use its well thought out and well equipped features for some enhanced off roading.

One can purchase a much cheaper version of a Jeep Wrangler, i.e. Sport, "X", and even the Sahara models and still get the "Jeep" stigma, durability, curb jumping and mall crawling they'd ever want to do. You really don't need a Rubicon to cruise on down to Starbucks.

We've had three Rubicons, an '03 an '04 and now our 2015. Both the '03 and '04 have some serious miles in Moab, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada and, California. We, (our jeeping group) all have Rubis and, while as stated, have seen extensive tough trails in all those places mentioned, almost all of those jeeps, are dent and body damage free.

This is just the way we operate. We have fun and really enjoy getting out, exploring, challenging ours and the Jeeps abilities but, we've all paid quite a bit for these serious BOY TOYS and have added, as many of you WELL KNOW, a serious amount of money for enhancements but, we still like to keep them as nice as possible, for as long as possible.

I don't fault anyone for USING a Jeep for what it was truly intended for, really getting out and using its capabilities and, if that has consequences like dents, scratches, body damage, and more, well, it's their Jeep and they paid for it (or are paying for it monthly) so, who am I to judge?

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #120

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
When we had our jeeps wheels/tires upgraded cuz the wife said it was too girly without them (she even picked them out)

there was a starwood's jeep on the shop floor that was STUNNING with KEVLAR textured paint, etc... so we went by there and oh my goodness !

Some of them are super, but some are ridiculous - guess we are not the 'target audience' !!!
Used Jeep, Bentley, Mercedes Benz, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi, and Lamborghini Dealer in Dallas | Starwood Motors
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #121

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott

It is kind of like the urban cowboy craze a few years back.
Now the PRCA wantabees and stars are wearing tennis shoes and baseball hats. The price of boots and cowboy hats went sky high. I guess many people have excess capital. Irrational Exuberance.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #122

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm all for those high end Rubicons never getting off the road since new! Makes for a great find when I look on the used market! .

Around here in Denver, I can't believe the number of pristine looking TJs that go by with the elderly driving them. I mean in their 80s! My wife complains of getting in mine, so I always point out the gray haired gal with thick glasses next to me shifting that 6 sp in her Saraha! Sometimes I want to strike up a conversation with them to hear their story about why they still drive a Wrangler.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #123

We had a JKU Rubi for about 18 months. It was to be our off road toy and my DD. After a lift, 35" tires RCV shafts and armor, neither one of us liked it and about 50 miles in the road was all I wanted. (Drove nice, but not very comfortable) Traded for an Avalanche and bought a built 05 LJ with Atlas TC and RJ 60 axles. I stretched it, added 40" tires and modified the long arm suspension. It's street legal in AZ, but I do not tow it. I either drive it to the trail or load it in the trailer. This Jeep thing is like the Harley Disease. No way to explain or justify it. But then the enjoyment with others on the rocks is priceless. One of our Members is 84 and runs a buggy. I hope to be able to do it another 10 years too. Most of the hard core guys in our club run LJ's or stretched TJ's. The JKU's are a little too long for the serious stuff.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #124
RVM1

I hear ya, Crasher!
I have lots of Jeeper friends. Some are amazing rock crawlers. I let them give me scary rides!
My 12JK is my first. I retired, wanted it, got it.
I do a bit of knarly roads, but the goal is to see critters and scenery that most tourists can't even dream of, and at the price of FREE have more fun than we ever did at Disney.
Hope to see you on the trail

Old 08-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I hear ya, Crasher!
I have lots of Jeeper friends. Some are amazing rock crawlers. I let them give me scary rides!
My 12JK is my first. I retired, wanted it, got it.
I do a bit of knarly roads, but the goal is to see critters and scenery that most tourists can't even dream of, and at the price of FREE have more fun than we ever did at Disney.
Hope to see you on the trail
Have you looked into the FMCA 4-Wheelers Club??
Old 08-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #126
RVM1

Jeep prices RIDICULOUS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Have you looked into the FMCA 4-Wheelers Club??

Thanks for the info, Crasher!
Looked a lot, and found where there is plenty to do and it fits my spirit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1472434456.301464.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	137443
But the Jeeping for me and Nola is most often alone. Old gold mines and ghost towns, etc fit our needs best.
And we do "Jeep Naked" if we are the lead in the chain.