Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #1

Angry Jeep prices RIDICULOUS!!!

Looking for a new(er) 4 X 4 to tow behind a Class "A". I've had Jeeps before...back in 90's...and they were good vehicles for getting where you wanted to go.

I've been looking for a Jeep Wrangler, preferably a four door. I'm sorry, but the pricing for these things is downright OBSENE! They are in no way worth what they're asking. Just venting...thanks for reading... Not only that, BUT THE MILEAGE ON THOSE THINGS STINK!!!

QUESTION... Does anyone have an idea for "something like a jeep that is more reasonably priced"? I could, but I just refuse to pay that kind of money for a vehicle like that.
Thanx,
Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We used TJ's (Wranglers) up until this year. We were looking for something more comfortable on the road without giving up 4 wheelin' capability. The new(er) JK's etc, although very nice vehicles, are not worth the $$$ to us. Quite by accident, we found the WK Grand Cherokee (2005-2010), specifically the Hemi Limited to fill our needs and a very nice one can be found for <$10k. We sold our '02 TJ for $12k and replaced it with an '06 WK for $8K. They hook up and flat tow with ease, exhibit very good road manners even with lift kits and aggressive tires, and perform well off road. JMO... others will surely disagree!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	134390   Click image for larger version

Name:	54.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	134391  

Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #3

Two years ago I bought and over paid for a 2004 wrangler with every options three tops 50000 miles fifteenth grand his asking price. Take it or leave it I have two other people that want to look at it if you don't want it I just counted in my billfold I have seven phone numbers and names of people if I want to sale they will give me the fifteen for it so that's the up side
Old 07-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #4

What do you need 4x4 for? If you plan on doing what Thunderfoot is doing then you're pretty much stuck with a Jeep Wrangler/GC, 4Runner, FJ, etc.
However if you just need something to run easy to moderate trails in the mountains or to run on the beach a used Jeep Liberty or Mitsubishi Outlander would fit the bill at a much cheaper price point.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, I agree Jeep Wrangler prices are high, especially the JK's.

I have a very modified TJ Rubicon bought many years ago. We do moderate to difficult off-road trails with it.

If looking for used - a Jeep Liberty or Grand Cherokee can provide a roomy and comfortable toad with light/moderate off-road trail capabilities.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The cost of everything in our world today fits this thread................
Old 07-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
The cost of everything in our world today fits this thread................
I'll give you a big AMEN on that.

The average car or truck today is about $32k. That's about $650 per month financed on 60 months at a normal finance rate.

But what's obscene is the price of a 1 ton diesel crew cab truck in the $55k to $65K cost range. Payments on $50K is about $950 per month.

I have a 2003 1 ton crew cab diesel with 2 tone paint and leather captains chairs equipped to tow a fifth wheel trailer. It's low miles and still looks like new. Price new: $32K. I'm slated to wear the engine out at about my age 95.

As far as Jeeps go, they're special use vehicles. They go off road very well, but they're not high quality vehicles by any stretch. And they're very heavy vheicles. There are other toads I'd prefer that are better on the open road behind a Class A.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
We used TJ's (Wranglers) up until this year. We were looking for something more comfortable on the road without giving up 4 wheelin' capability. The new(er) JK's etc, although very nice vehicles, are not worth the $$$ to us. Quite by accident, we found the WK Grand Cherokee (2005-2010), specifically the Hemi Limited to fill our needs and a very nice one can be found for <$10k. We sold our '02 TJ for $12k and replaced it with an '06 WK for $8K. They hook up and flat tow with ease, exhibit very good road manners even with lift kits and aggressive tires, and perform well off road. JMO... others will surely disagree!
Git er done!
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #9

Bamaman - I have owned a 4 door Wrangler I bought new for about 32,000 in March of 2013. It is a very high quality vehicle. The only thing that has broke so far is a rear bearing I damaged in Moab climbing an impossibly steep trail. Besides that zero, nada, zilch has gone bad. Not only that, it does not rattle, at all. What I will agree with is that the materials are tough and not luxury. Seat materials, dash, exterior and so on. Paint is not as nice as on my wife's Acura MDX.

I really like the Jeep Wrangler. I cannot imagine a better tow car. For a lot of hwy driving a Grand Cherokee would be better.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #10

Wranglers are overpriced. However, they have one of the highest resale values of any vehicle. I special ordered my 2015 JK two door (future towed) because the used JKs were going for as much as the new ones. The sales person showed me a nice clean 2012 JK with 30K miles on it and it was only about $1500 less than what I paid for my new 2015!
MetalGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Looking for a new(er) 4 X 4 to tow behind a Class "A". I've had Jeeps before...back in 90's...and they were good vehicles for getting where you wanted to go.

I've been looking for a Jeep Wrangler, preferably a four door. I'm sorry, but the pricing for these things is downright OBSENE! They are in no way worth what they're asking. Just venting...thanks for reading... Not only that, BUT THE MILEAGE ON THOSE THINGS STINK!!!

QUESTION... Does anyone have an idea for "something like a jeep that is more reasonably priced"? I could, but I just refuse to pay that kind of money for a vehicle like that.
Thanx,
Totally agree and that's what we are struggling with. Not that we can't afford it as we are paying cash, but just the fact that they really don't discount too much, and their prices are all over the place. When we were looking for a white one they wouldn't discount them as they were the "hot" sellers and couldn't keep them in stock, but would give us a reasonable discount on some other colors. But now that we've decided against white, all the other colors are now the "hot" sellers. We may just bite the bullet and buy one anyway, but for the money you can get a whole lot more car/truck in the Toyotas, which are better built and more dependable, and just as capable in 4WD, but you can't tow 4 down. They would be more likely to discount if/when Toyota makes theirs so they can be towed 4 down. I guess we could be in a lot worse dilemmas, but it kind of goes against my grain to pay for something(Toy) just because of the name. But one plus is they do keep their value.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #12

Since my 2013 Jeep Wrangler has needed zero repair except for one thing I broke I would say your comment about Toyotas being better built would not apply in my case. My Jeep has 37,000 road miles and about 20,000 tow miles. When clean it looks like new. To me it is the perfect tow car. We are currently in MT and the Jeep is just a great car to have out here. I have owned a couple of Toyotas. The idea that Toyotas are better than US brands is not true any more. IMHO. My last Toyota was a 2008 Avalon Limited and it had several flaws and a couple of things that had to be repaired several times.

We got a sizable discount on our Jeep when we bought it new. The local dealer was terrible. He had large upcharges on the sticker price. I complained and they basically said take it or leave it. So I bought newspapers and we drove 25 miles to the dealer who seemed to give the best prices. We got about 4,000 off on ours. Plus the dealer is a good one. They do a very good job with regular maintenance and fixed the one thing I damaged in Moab.

I have owned a lot of cars. Lots of vehicles are OK. A few cars are just the best in their category. I get that feeling when I drive the Jeep. When you are behind the wheel you know you are driving the best vehicle for this purpose you can buy. So after you get one and drive it for a while then tell me if you think Toyotas are better. To me Toyotas are just another car not as good as my Jeep.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post

Thanx,
I'd keep my money and tow a Suzuki Samurai so fast LOL

I know I know, not glamorous or shiny, but hey,,,, it's a toad. I'm in the "I like cheap toads" class.

We towed a base model 2010 Subaru Outback manual - couldn't beat that price and had an amazing amount of storage space!

I agree with you, the asking price of a new jeep is no where near what they are worth. I feel the same about the 75,000 dollar brand new diesel trucks, and the 60,000 dollar brand new bass boats... just all kinds of nope.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Even the TJs (97-2006) are overpriced, at least around this region. They are bringing way over book, and the more modified the higher the price.

Realistically, the new Sport Wrangler at $22K is still not bad.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote