Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #183

Couple of pics. Maria likes to pose. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_192932.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	138620Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_192954.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	138621
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #184

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Some thoughts for those that are deciding on a 2 door vs 4 Wrangler.

When we first started looking DW really wanted a 4dr. Since it would be her DD I went along but told her "Jeeps are 2 doors" not mentioning the Wagoneer I had. After she saw a 2dr almost identical to the one she ordered, that was it.

Now that we have the 2dr here are my observations. I would rather leave out the back seat and just crawl in the back and sit on the floor. I'm a big guy and trying to get in the back seat is difficult for anyone over about 12 years old. The only exception is when neither top is on and you can stand in the back, grab the roll bar and jump over the seat.

With the seat in getting supplies or groceries is tough unless you fold up the seat and that doesn't gain you much. It also has the tendency to try to flop back down. With the seat in the dog fits back there but he can't see us easily and he is not happy with that. Seat out and a blanket in the back and he (or I) are happy back there. We do need to stuff a blanket or something in the rear foot wells so he doesn't slide down in them.

So the rear seat is in a large plastic bag tucked away in the corner of the garage. We rarely ride more than the two of us and the dog so it's not a problem. To do it over again I think we would go with another 2 door.

Oh and to stay on topic, it was expensive
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #185

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Couple of pics. Maria likes to pose. Attachment 138620Attachment 138621
Awesome! Thats the color I keep looking at.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Awesome! Thats the color I keep looking at.
Not my first choice in color probably second choice. BUT it was Maria's first and only choice so of course that what we got.

Jerry
Old 09-11-2016, 10:46 PM   #187

Great choice on the 4dr, great vehicle!

I just laugh at people who say a real jeep is a 2dr

You could also argue a real jeep is a

- 4 cylinder
- I6
- no abs, stability etc
- owned by a American company and not a fiat

And the list goes on and on... Get what you want and enjoy it

In regards to S vs Sahara I wouldn't reall call the 18's a upgrade, just a different size. If you want a second set of wheels for dedicated snow tires then yes, get 18's due to better snow tire options for the proper size!

NAV - the oem unit is way overpriced, if you want nav. Is it your local audio shop and for well less then a grand you can get something much better vs stock. Or you can go crazy good and get Alpines $4k unit when I ordered my rubicon hard rock, base deck is what I did, Siriusxm is about timeline thus I guess it's time to finally throw something aftermarket in there.

In regards to the fire oil changes, possibly that's something your dealership did? The dealership I went to have me 4 free oil changes and two free loaner cars.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #188

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post

I say that about Porsche too - but what do I know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panamera__19_opt.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	138764  
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post

You could also argue a real jeep is a

- 4 cylinder
- I6
- no abs, stability etc
- owned by a American company and not a fiat

And the list goes on and on... Get what you want and enjoy it

In regards to S vs Sahara I wouldn't reall call the 18's a upgrade, just a different size. If you want a second set of wheels for dedicated snow tires then yes, get 18's due to better snow tire options for the proper size!

NAV - the oem unit is way overpriced, if you want nav. Is it your local audio shop and for well less then a grand you can get something much better vs stock. Or you can go crazy good and get Alpines $4k unit when I ordered my rubicon hard rock, base deck is what I did, Siriusxm is about timeline thus I guess it's time to finally throw something aftermarket in there.

In regards to the fire oil changes, possibly that's something your dealership did? The dealership I went to have me 4 free oil changes and two free loaner cars.

I agree with everything you said including the tires and nav. That's why I didn't get them and went with the S.

Jeep is doing the free oil changes and yes its twice a year and loaner car if needed I think he called it the Jeep Wave program. Not sure When he told me I was tired and just glad he said free.

The more I drive the Jeep the more I like it. Glad the wife wants to keep driving her CRV at least for this week.
Jerry
Old 09-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
I say that about Porsche too - but what do I know?
And don't forget about their SUV's

To me it doesn't really matter how many doors that Porsche has, doing a sub 7:40 lap around the ring is quite impressive and gets my approval despite being ugly...... Just look at the cars it can beat around that track many 2 door mid engine exotics.

Same with a wrangler, doesn't really matter how many doors it has, either way it's a great vehicle and more capable then probably 90% of us will ever know.

But as you stated..... What do I know?
Old 09-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #191

I'm so happy right now. As I posted a couple of days ago we found the exact Jeep we wanted, but it didn't have the step rail bar. The step rail was negotiated in with the deal. I assumed , which you should never do, that the rail they were going to install was the 3" or 4" black round step bar.

When I was doing the comparison between the Sport S and the Sahara I made the comment that the Sahara's step bar( more like a running board) was much nicer that the Sport S bar.

Well I took the jeep in today to get the Bar installed. When they brought it back out I was very happy to see the Sahara running board. I was talking to the sales guy when it came out and he said he knew I liked this one better so that's what he order for me.

All I can say is AWESOME. The wife is super happy about it also. The more I drive this Jeep the more I like it.

Only bad part is my wife took all her girly stuff out of the CRV and put it in the Jeep when I got home SO now its her Jeep that I can drive on the weekends.

I post a pic of the running boards and post them in a bit.

Jerry
Old 09-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #192

Heres some pics of the running boards
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1473898257052.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	138989   Click image for larger version

Name:	1473898267045.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	138990  

Name:	1473898278419.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	138991   Click image for larger version

Name:	1473898287356.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	138992  

FMCA # F464385
Old 09-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #193

Quote:
I'm so happy right now. As I posted a couple of days ago we found the exact Jeep we wanted, but it didn't have the step rail bar. The step rail was negotiated in with the deal. I assumed , which you should never do, that the rail they were going to install was the 3" or 4" black round step bar.

When I was doing the comparison between the Sport S and the Sahara I made the comment that the Sahara's step bar( more like a running board) was much nicer that the Sport S bar.

Well I took the jeep in today to get the Bar installed. When they brought it back out I was very happy to see the Sahara running board. I was talking to the sales guy when it came out and he said he knew I liked this one better so that's what he order for me.

All I can say is AWESOME. The wife is super happy about it also. The more I drive this Jeep the more I like it.

Only bad part is my wife took all her girly stuff out of the CRV and put it in the Jeep when I got home SO now its her Jeep that I can drive on the weekends.

I post a pic of the running boards and post them in a bit.

Jerry
Yeah Jerry,
My wife is ecstatic about our new one too. I'm "almost" considering those AUTOMATIC, retractable step rails. Those things are seriously pricey. But, what isn't that's related to a JEEP???? But, the nice part is, they drop down for entry and exit but, retract for travel in on or off road. We'll see how that goes. But, it (the new Jeep) is a blast to drive. It's smooth, quiet, powerful, goes straight down the road with no issues and is very comfortable.

The SMARTEST thing I did was sh..can those horrible factory Rubicon mud terrain tires. They were perfectly fine but, knowing tires like I do, the difference between the quality of ride etc. on an all terrain vs a mud terrain, is night and day. Anyway, have fun with your new toy.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

The SMARTEST thing I did was sh..can those horrible factory Rubicon mud terrain tires. They were perfectly fine but, knowing tires like I do, the difference between the quality of ride etc. on an all terrain vs a mud terrain, is night and day. Anyway, have fun with your new toy.
Scott
Those tires obviously aren't a pilot super sport for grip and road manners however they aren't bad. They are actually a great used buy due to so many people unloading the stock setup for aftermarket.

The biggest problem to me isn't the tires jeep used on my rubicon hard rock, but the tires were +46-48psi each from the factory, no clue why the dealerships can't spend a few minutes to properly inflate them. Bring the psi to where it should be makes everything work much better. The tires are also just OK in snow/ice.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:18 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Yeah Jerry,
My wife is ecstatic about our new one too. I'm "almost" considering those AUTOMATIC, retractable step rails. Those things are seriously pricey. But, what isn't that's related to a JEEP???? But, the nice part is, they drop down for entry and exit but, retract for travel in on or off road. We'll see how that goes. But, it (the new Jeep) is a blast to drive. It's smooth, quiet, powerful, goes straight down the road with no issues and is very comfortable.

Scott
Scott,
I was thinking about those retractable steps also I believe that was one of the things we spoke about on the phone. But after spending $100k in June for the mh $38k for the Jeep on Saturday I thought I would slow down the spending a bit. Plus I have to buy accessories for the Jeep. Amazon is my friend right now.

Wife wanted the fuel door cover and door still plates. Got both factory parts on Amazon cheaper than the dealership wanted to charge me.

I also got the front grill screen and the Bolt hood lock.

Should get everything by next week. Cant do Prime with the Mopar items. This is just the tip of the iceberg for buying stuff to outfit the Jeep. Fun fun. Did I say how much I like the Jeep. I know its only been a few days but to keep with the original topic from the OP It was worth every penny.

Jerry
Old 09-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #196

Question Recommendations...

Quote:
Scott,
I was thinking about those retractable steps also I believe that was one of the things we spoke about on the phone. But after spending $100k in June for the mh $38k for the Jeep on Saturday I thought I would slow down the spending a bit. Plus I have to buy accessories for the Jeep. Amazon is my friend right now.

Wife wanted the fuel door cover and door still plates. Got both factory parts on Amazon cheaper than the dealership wanted to charge me.

I also got the front grill screen and the Bolt hood lock.

Should get everything by next week. Cant do Prime with the Mopar items. This is just the tip of the iceberg for buying stuff to outfit the Jeep. Fun fun. Did I say how much I like the Jeep. I know its only been a few days but to keep with the original topic from the OP It was worth every penny.

Jerry
What would be everyone's suggestion for a "middle of the road" JEEP. Automatic, 4 WD of course...2 or 4 doors ok...more for highway/very light trail riding...you know...for older farts...like ME Can't afford new and this would be my wife's and my "only vehicle"...so...have to keep my honey happy.... Any ideas???
Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote