Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Jeep Renegade

Has anyone heard whether or not the new Jeep Renegade will be towable 4-down?

It sure looks like a neat (and lighter) option to the Wrangler.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since it is based on the Fiat 500 platform with AWD it would not seem likely but not enough details yet (that I've heard) to make a final call. It is kinda cute.

AllPar has a good write up on it but the pics of the Trailhawk AWD controls do not show any Neutral position which would pretty much be a must for flat towing.

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/renegade.html
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nick-B - Thanks for the link. Maybe I am hoping against hope. Right now my choices are CRV or Equinox, so I am looking for more alternatives.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Exclamation

I just found this information on the Gizmodo website that purports to have had an interview with Jeep's chief engineer. I have heard of Gizmodo, but I do not anything about it or its reputation.
The AWD system is similar to what we put on Cherokee — a fully decoupled front and rear system where the rear RDM decouples when you don't need it and the prop shaft stops spinning.

So, when you are in normal mode driving, you are getting the full efficiencies of a FWD vehicle. Then, when you engage the system or engage it through slip, you essentially turn this whole AWD system on, where the rear will spin up, lock in with the front and now you're in 4WD, on demand.

That is very similar in methodology to the Cherokee, but it's all different hardware. The reason it's different hardware is we size the hardware based on the torque of an i4 versus a v6.
It sounds as though it might have tow capabilities, but I'm neither a Jeep or a 4WD expert, so I don't know.

Does anyone have any thoughts or speculations based on this quote?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Keep in mind that the new Cherokee will only tow with the Active Drive II transmission which is about a $1,000 option in my Limited model. This transmission comes standard in the Cherokee Trailhawk

Op have you considered the Cherokee - love mine have 12,000 miles on it already and have pulled it another 5,000
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:25 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
To be able to tow 4 down you must be able to uncouple both the front and rear drive systems. The Jeeps that are flat towable have a transfer case that can be shifted to Neutral. This disengages both the front and rear drive shafts.

It does NOT sound like the Renegade will have that capability without some customizations, just like many other vehicles that cannot be flat towed without modifications.

I am unsure, but these modifications may have an affect on the manufacturer warranties on these vehicles.

Certain Grand Cherokees, Wranglers and if before 2012, Liberties do have this transfer case. This transfer case also allows the vehicle to be shifted from 2 WD to 4 WD High and 4 WD Low as well as neutral.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
rream - Well the Renegade has a Trailhawk model, so maybe there is hope.