Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #1

I'm wondering if anyone has experience towing a jeep or other vehicle equipped with an automatic front locker such as an "aussie" locker. I've seen posts stating it was fine and others that indicated it could be a problem.

Actual experience from someone would be appreciated as I'm not looking for speculation.

The jeeps transfer case would be in neutral with the transmission in park as per the owners manual on a 2004 Wrangler TJ.

Thanks,
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not familiar with an "aussie" locker, what kind of locker is it? Is it truly automatic, or something you can turn on or off? I have a Rubican with front and rear lockers and it tows just fine, but of course the lockers are turned off. I also had a 93 Wrangler with ARB air lockers, which also towed fine, but again, the lockers were turned off while towing. Not sure if this helped at all. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Mike:

As long as you have the Locker disconnected the differential will act as an open differential. Even if you have a Detroit Locker or something similar you should have no problems. The only time you might cause problems is if you have a spool in the front differential and did not have hubs to disconnect the front differential. Do Not laugh I have seen a spool in a front differential and the owner could not understand why it was always braking, Dah!
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H 2004 Dolphin 5342 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has experience towing a jeep or other vehicle equipped with an automatic front locker such as an "aussie" locker. I've seen posts stating it was fine and others that indicated it could be a problem.

Actual experience from someone would be appreciated as I'm not looking for speculation.

The jeeps transfer case would be in neutral with the transmission in park as per the owners manual on a 2004 Wrangler TJ.

Thanks,
Mike
I assume you are probably referring to an ARB air locker, which is not automatic like a Detroit locker (actually an automatic unlocker). I can't imagine having an automatic locker in the front. Anyway the ARB is activated with a switch. I have towed my 97 TJ with an ARB for several years without any problems.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I have a Powertrax No-Slip in the rear of my Cherokee. I think you'll be fine with the Aussie Locker for the same reasoning that played out in my head when I thought of installing my locker.
My thought process went like this;
Since there will be no torque coming from the driveshaft (engine), the locker won't want to engage.
I've towed my CJ7 with F & R Lock Rites with no problems, even before I installed my full-floater/locking hub axles in the back.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Exclamation

The Aussie Locker is not an ARB - different animal. Read about it here:
Aussie Lockers: Lockers, aussie lockers, torq-masters technology, automatic positive locking differentials, automatic precision locker differentials, off road, off-road
I'd suggest calling Torq Maters for tech support on the Aussie and see what they say.

In theory, the "automatic" function would read the situation fine and never engage. Glad its YOU who get to test the theory and not me!

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote