Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #15

Wow I'm so glad no person or other vehicles were involved when it broke loose. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the Wrangler though I would be very upset if I lost mine. I drive on pins and needles every time I tow it. Thanks for wake up call for all of us to double check the RV and toad connection hardware. Any further details or pictures you could provide of the break area appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0737.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	186035  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #16

Same thing happened to me with a 1976 MG Midget. I put it down to English metal fatigue!!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad View Post
Same thing happened to me with a 1976 MG Midget. I put it down to English metal fatigue!!
You towed a Midget? Pictures please!
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryndi View Post
Attachment 185944we had our 2016 jeep wrangler unlimited in tow when the frame member that the tow system/ frame broke off.the jeep was totaled but no one or nothing else was hurt.I now check those frame brackets and welds OFTEN .Might like to hear if anyone has ever heard of this before.never hit anything or backed up on the coach ...just a heads up
Could you please provide so additional pictures for all of us who tow jk wranglers ,I can't tell from the photo where that break in the frame is ,we would like to check for cracks especially that area .
Old 12-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryndi View Post
No,one piece

Did both sides exhibit the same fatigue? Or, did one side break, then the other side? Hopefully your cables kept you attached?
Old 12-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #20

...thing I like about the Blue Ox base plate design [one on a Silverado and more recently on an 06 Wrangler] is that they come with a secondary set of safety cables that are designed to lock the base plate to a frame cross-member. I can see where the end of a frame could be ripped off but not a cross member. Also begs the question about where you mount your break-away system on your toad.....in the event of a frame or bumper failure, your break away system may not be triggered.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #21

I'd be very curious who specifies the attachment points for the baseplate. Does the baseplate manufacture just come up with an idea they think will work, or does Chrysler/FCA specify attachment points to the baseplate manufacturer based on their engineering test? if FCA makes the specification, then someone at Jeep should be very interested in what broke. You either have a structural problem or a design problem. either way, I'd think someone should be buying you a new Jeep. If I was you insurance company, I'd be pretty quick to drop all Jeeps from toad coverage.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #22

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171103_113006.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	186075Click image for larger version

Name:	20171103_113020.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	186076these are the best pics I have of the parts that failed,as you can see the welds were broken partly for some time as there is rust on the weld.never expected a problem there.The roadmaster kit does not have those aux. connections to go on the frame, and the brake away was on the tow bar frame and did not operate.The one is o. The bumper
Terryndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #23

This may sound like an odd question, but did you buy the Jeep new or used? It's possible it was in an accident before you took possession.

In most states a car dealer is required to reveal if a new vehicle was involved in an accident that caused it to sustain damage of more than 5% of the new car value. You should be able to check with the selling dealer to see if this was the case.

This is generally not a requirement for used cars. I have seen used cars pieced together from multiple sources without the potential owner having any knowledge that it was anything other than an original undamaged vehicle.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #24

No it was new with less than 500 miles,on it
Terryndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I will give you a different warning.

My first towed was 4,000 pounds, just what this Gasser can tow, and the hitch is rated 5,000 so good right?

Well I had to use a drop hitch receiver adapter and the torque it applied tore the ccross rail right off the RV.. Got it re-attached and better than new but inspect THOSE brackets as well.
To this day Winnebago still recommends a limited length drop hitch (stinger) for the very reason you explained. They also don't recommend the use of surge brakes for the same reason. Here are a couple quotes from our 2013 Adventurer owners manual.

"When coupling the vehicle tow bar to the
Factory Receiver Hitch using a “drop receiver”
or a conventional “ball mount” (commonly
referred to as a “stinger” or a “draw bar”), do not
exceed a 4” drop, nor one that the centerline of
the hitch pin to the centerline of the ball exceeds
8”. See the following Hitch Assembly
illustration."

"We do not recommend the usage of a “surge style”
braking device. The usage of a surge brake
(especially when coupled with a hitch ball
located outside our recommended limits) places
excessive stress on the hitch. This abuse of the
ball mount and the hitch may cause premature
hitch assembly failure."

Since at least 2012 Winnebago has been manufacturing their own hitches rather than buying them from outside manufacturers. Their hitches are supposedly 50% stronger than the ones they were purchasing. While the hitch itself may withstand severe abuse remember it's held to the motorhome with bolts. The major concern is that if severely overloaded the bolts could shear, or be torn from the frame members
Old 12-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad someone said something about the hitch drops. Our local part time RV tech that in his late 60's that started at 12 years old washing RVs and owned RV sales for 45 years said that those drops can be a problem. The drops cause a twisting action and if used you should reinforce/inspect the RV side and watch the toad side for damage. That why I decided not go with bumper on my JK and go with Blue Ox at his recommendation.

I know there has been millions of trouble free miles driven without a problem.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #27

I do see how a drop hitch could increase the loads on the motorhome side of the tow setup. However, I don't see how a drop hitch could have any impact on the toad side. The toad has no way of knowing it's being pulled by a drop hitch.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #28

Can somebody help me visualize exactly what broke? I'm having a hard time seeing that the pic in post #1 and post #22 are even of the same area. I'd really like to keep an eye on the failed area but just can't really figure out where it is.

I'm sure the OP no longer has the Jeep in their possession and are sharing the best pix they have but I just can't see it yet.

Tags
toad