Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #43

The frame members on the JK series must be totally different from those on the previous TJ series. Our TJ came from the factory with a tow hook mounted on the front of each frame rail, an one on the drivers side rear frame rail. The frame was obviously intended to be strong enough for towing if it came with factory mounted tow hooks.

We had to remove the front tow hooks to install our Roadmaster base plates. The base plates used the same holes. We've towed it over 100,000 miles with no frame problems. In 2014 the Jeep was rear ended when we were towing it to Florida. The base plates and tow bar were destroyed, but there was no damage to the frame members. I guess they're not as tough as they used to be.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I guess they're not as tough as they used to be.
With the extreme emphasis on mileage, manufacturers are doing everything possible to lighten the vehicles. As a result, the frame is lighter, as some strength is derived from the body. CAD allows everything to be tested as a complete unit. The frames are strong, but do not resist tear out. The places where the suspension attaches is strengthened, while the rest is thinned out. You also have crumple zones for safety, so that is working against you as well.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The frame members on the JK series must be totally different from those on the previous TJ series. Our TJ came from the factory with a tow hook mounted on the front of each frame rail, an one on the drivers side rear frame rail. The frame was obviously intended to be strong enough for towing if it came with factory mounted tow hooks.

We had to remove the front tow hooks to install our Roadmaster base plates. The base plates used the same holes. We've towed it over 100,000 miles with no frame problems. In 2014 the Jeep was rear ended when we were towing it to Florida. The base plates and tow bar were destroyed, but there was no damage to the frame members. I guess they're not as tough as they used to be.
The parts that broke on the OP are not the frame rails. They are vertical extensions below the frame rails. The extensions are fairly light and their sole purpose seems to be to hold the bottom edge of the 1 pound plastic front air dam.

In my opinion, the extensions should not have been used as mounts for a tow bar base plate.

JK tow hooks are in fact mounted to the frame rails behind the plastic factory bumper. Aftermarket bumpers with recovery eyes use the tow hook frame rail mounting holes and are very strong. Tow bar base plates that use the tow hook mounting holes would be much stronger than the mounting method used by Roadmaster on the JK.

If I had the Roadmaster base plates I would be swapping them out for sure. I use the Currie tow plate and am seriously considering swapping it for an aftermarket bumper tow mount.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I have a roadmaster base plate that I installed on a 2017 Wrangler unlimited 2 months ago, haven't towed it yet but now looking at the op's pics I went and checked mine. The stantions that come down from the main frame are more than stought enough but the weld that holds them on are not good. Roadmaster should have seen this when designing the bar. The welds are good enough for what jeep are using them for but not good enough for towing. Wish I would have bought the Blue ox they drill two holes in the frame rails for bolts and don't depend on these two stations alone.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborc View Post
I have a roadmaster base plate that I installed on a 2017 Wrangler unlimited 2 months ago, haven't towed it yet but now looking at the op's pics I went and checked mine. The stantions that come down from the main frame are more than stought enough but the weld that holds them on are not good. Roadmaster should have seen this when designing the bar. The welds are good enough for what jeep are using them for but not good enough for towing. Wish I would have bought the Blue ox they drill two holes in the frame rails for bolts and don't depend on these two stations alone.
I'd contact Roadmaster and see what they say. I don't think I'd want to use those attachment points either. I've always heard pretty good things about Roadmaster customer service.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Have since contacted roadmaster and found out they are now using an extra plate that is bolted to the frame. If you have the roadmaster base plate it bolts right to it. They sent me these when I told them I didn't feel safe with the way it was now. The new base plates must come with these as the new instaltion instuctions posted as of 1-2018 show them.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #49

Thanks for the update,just sent an email to them
Terryndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #50

Just wanted to let everyone know that I sent an email to roadmaster today and they are sending me the new upgrade plates to fit in my new jeep.Told me they will fit all the jeep tow setups! And it will ship in the morning!That my friends is good customer service as far as I an concerned!
Terryndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
We also got a Rockhard Aluminum Bumper with the Blue Ox tabs. One long day!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:05 AM   #52
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborc View Post
Have since contacted roadmaster and found out they are now using an extra plate that is bolted to the frame. If you have the roadmaster base plate it bolts right to it. They sent me these when I told them I didn't feel safe with the way it was now. The new base plates must come with these as the new instaltion instuctions posted as of 1-2018 show them.
Interesting. I contacted RM a couple of months ago after seeing the original post on this thread. RM said that they have been producing this design (521448-5) since 2013 & have thousands in service. Told that they were very confident in the design and this failure is the only one they were aware of. Apparently they have had a change of heart and added additional reinforcement as of Jan 2018. Very disappointed that RM has not contacted registered owners with the original design to let them know about the design change.

The reason I chose RM over Blue Ox is because RM did not require drilling holes in the frame. According to the new instructions, two holes have to be drilled in the frame rails if they are not present. Looked at my 2017 JK and the holes required for the new plates are NOT there. The whole saga of this base plate & the way it is being handled is very disappointing!
Old 03-05-2018, 06:06 AM   #53

Not sure why they don't use the thru holes where the tow hooks bolt through on the Trailhawk. That area is beefed up, and according to Jeep each hole is rated for 10,000 LBS.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:12 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
Interesting. I contacted RM a couple of months ago after seeing the original post on this thread. RM said that they have been producing this design (521448-5) since 2013 & have thousands in service. Told that they were very confident in the design and this failure is the only one they were aware of. Apparently they have had a change of heart and added additional reinforcement as of Jan 2018. Very disappointed that RM has not contacted registered owners with the original design to let them know about the design change.
That is disappointing. Glad I bought the the blue ox plate. Then again they have a point we would of heard of this before. This is an interesting position you are in here.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #55

I got the Rock hard Aluminum Bumper with the Blue Ox tabs and the ready brute tow bar system. Love it and it looks great.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #56

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryndi View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that I sent an email to roadmaster today and they are sending me the new upgrade plates to fit in my new jeep.Told me they will fit all the jeep tow setups! And it will ship in the morning!That my friends is good customer service as far as I an concerned!
When do they ship your new Jeep?
pgrennan3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad