Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #1

Jeep Toad Trailer light Plug use to light Jeep Tail Lights when towing

I will be running wires from RV Plug to rear of Jeep to light Jeep tail, stop and turn.
I noticed that my trailer hitch light plug is connected to my stop turn and tail lights.
Seems if I connect to the trailer hitch light plug I should not have to run wires into the tail light housing BUT
I think that will only light up that side or would it light both sides?.
Anyone ever do this?
Problems?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #2

What year your Jeep? On my 1995 I tapped into the Brake/tail light wires near the floor at the drivers seat. This required diodes to prevent back feed into the system. An irv2 member, Fire up, provided useful information to me - he has had several jeeps but the year of the Jeep may make a difference.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #3

Sometimes I get ahead of my self.
This is what I now understand

A major issue exists if you have an AUX braking system on your toad towed vehicle as when it presses on the brakes your brake lights on the towed vehicle come on... if you have your RV Turn signals on and are braking the RV the towed vehicles brake light stays on (because the AUX Braking system is pressing on the brake pedal) and that braking cancels/overrides the RV message to the towed vehicle that it is time to turn on the turn signal. TOAD brake on no turn signal at the towed.
NEED TO OVER COME THAT.
One person has a switch at the brake pedal to turn off the brake light. I would forget to turn it back on when driving. Some people mention using diodes... beyond my level. Some people use seperate magnetic lights or a light bar. Some people add a light bulb in an existing housing. All work well.

I have an 07 Jeep and found on EBAY 2 small LED lights... Brake, stop and tail. EBAY also has small surface mount lights.

Custom RED 24 LED Motorcycle taillight tail brake stop running lights Bullet Style.

My plan is to not use the Jeep STOP light but use the Jeep tail lights and the LED Bullet tail , stop and turn.

Instead of paying $150.00 to buy a wiring harness from the RV to the Jeep I will spend a fraction of that buying the typical TRAILER FOUR WIRE SYSTEM and zip tie it under the Jeep to the front engine compartment for storage.

AS FOR PLUGGING INTO MY TOAD TRAILER PLUG... I AM GONNA PASS
Old 01-16-2015, 08:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson2624 View Post
Sometimes I get ahead of my self.
This is what I now understand

A major issue exists if you have an AUX braking system on your toad towed vehicle as when it presses on the brakes your brake lights on the towed vehicle come on... if you have your RV Turn signals on and are braking the RV the towed vehicles brake light stays on (because the AUX Braking system is pressing on the brake pedal) and that braking cancels/overrides the RV message to the towed vehicle that it is time to turn on the turn signal. TOAD brake on no turn signal at the towed.
NEED TO OVER COME THAT.
One person has a switch at the brake pedal to turn off the brake light. I would forget to turn it back on when driving. Some people mention using diodes... beyond my level. Some people use seperate magnetic lights or a light bar. Some people add a light bulb in an existing housing. All work well.

I have an 07 Jeep and found on EBAY 2 small LED lights... Brake, stop and tail. EBAY also has small surface mount lights.

Custom RED 24 LED Motorcycle taillight tail brake stop running lights Bullet Style.

My plan is to not use the Jeep STOP light but use the Jeep tail lights and the LED Bullet tail , stop and turn.

Instead of paying $150.00 to buy a wiring harness from the RV to the Jeep I will spend a fraction of that buying the typical TRAILER FOUR WIRE SYSTEM and zip tie it under the Jeep to the front engine compartment for storage.

AS FOR PLUGGING INTO MY TOAD TRAILER PLUG... I AM GONNA PASS
One work around is to install a brake light relay kit on the brake light switch. It makes the brake lights active only when the key is turned on by intersecting the hot feed and connecting it to a switched fuse in the fuse panel. Cost around $30. So far, I am not willing to cut into the wiring on my new F150. I may before it is all over with. I will know more after tomorrow.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:09 PM   #5

Mopar makes an auxiliary wiring harness. Also available is a wire harness by Cooltech.

You run a wire to the back of the Jeep along or through the left frame rail. The left tail light has a connector that unplugs, you plug the Cooltech into that and plug your tail light back into that. This kit has the needed diodes to protect your Jeep from back feeding electricity into your system.
I have the Cooltech. It works great. My running lights will turn on, blinkers and brake lights work.

The Cooltech system has one irregularity that I am sure baffles people from the rear. I have a mechanical surge brake system that works by having a cable pull my brake pedal down to actuate the Jeep's brakes. When the surge brake is engaged (pedal mechanically depressed), the brake lights including the third center high brake light cone on. If I just tap my brakes and the Cooltech signals the brake lights to come on (no surge brake actuating the pedal), only the two tail light brake lights come on. From what I understand, this is home the system is supposed to work.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:30 PM   #6

The newer Jeeps, not sure what the starting year was, have a Caleb that directly connects to the body computer and transforms the 4 pin connector signals into the Jeeps lighting system. May not be the cheapest but it's fully supported by Jeep.

Tags
toad, tow, towing, lights