Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Jeep toad's rv hookups are exposed

The jeep tows fine and all things work well, just I am a bit concerned about the rv hookups under the front bumper possibly getting damaged when off road ?

Any ideas on how to protect them between the demco base plate connections ?

I thought about a locked in rod between the demco base plates 'ears',,, but not sure how well that would work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hookups.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	131661  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #2

That is why most of us go with an after market bumper. I used a Rockhard, but there are others as well.

becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow our Jeep from an aftermarket bumper. No base plate to buy. No base plate to get damaged or hung up when off-roading.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

LoD offroad Signature mid-width is what I have. Nicely built and weighed only about 85 pounds.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #5

Well,
As you can tell by the answers so far, most "Jeepers" that do any off roading with any form of seriousness, (And I don't mean rock crawling or extreme terrain stuff) will outfit their Jeeps with one of many, different forms of aftermarket front bumper. And, about 99.99% of those aftermarket front bumpers will come with what's called "recovery" tabs on them.

Basically, they come in two forms. Either a single, 3/4" thick tab welded on on each side or, two 3/4" tabs, welded about 2" apart, with a set on each side. It depends on who made the bumper and or, what the owner may want.

And, because there was/is/will be, so much demand for such bumpers and, the fact that a very large percentage of the owners will tow their Jeeps with an RV, the tow bar manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to make adapters for their tow bars, that actually attach to these recovery points. You simply purchase which set of adapters you need, and, attach them to the tow bar and, you're off to the races.

Now, you already have spent the money for your base plate and are using it. So, setting up adequate and dependable protection for those attachment points could be costly and or, time consuming for both installation and removal for towing. That is, if you wanted them removable. But, if it were me, I'd simply sell that base plate, and stock bumper and, head out to your local off road store and purchase the after market front bumper of your choice. There's at least a dozen major manufacturers of them. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

100s of miles of off road like this and no problems.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467304866.543240.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  118.5 KB

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
That is why most of us go with an after market bumper. I used a Rockhard, but there are others as well.
I used the RockHard bumper also. The tabs to connect the tow bar to are not sticking out in front but are placed back and below the front of the bumper.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
And, because there was/is/will be, so much demand for such bumpers and, the fact that a very large percentage of the owners will tow their Jeeps with an RV, the tow bar manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to make adapters for their tow bars, that actually attach to these recovery points. You simply purchase which set of adapters you need, and, attach them to the tow bar and, you're off to the races.
Blue Ox has an adapter for their tow bars but I don't believe Roadmaster makes one. They didn't in the past and I don't see one now after a quick perusal. There was (is) an aftermarket adapter. For piece of mind I wanted all one brand of towing equipment. I like the idea of replicating what the tow bar manufacturer does by having two attachment points per side. Rather than one per side when using a recovery tab to tow with. Again for peace of mind and in case something would ever happen to go wrong. That is just my opinion.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
The jeep tows fine and all things work well, just I am a bit concerned about the rv hookups under the front bumper possibly getting damaged when off road ?
Any ideas on how to protect them between the demco base plate connections ?
I thought about a locked in rod between the demco base plates 'ears',,, but not sure how well that would work
I have the same Demco setup under an aftermarket bumper. I've done quite a bit of off roading with no problems. Granted, no rock crawling, but for general off road and mountain trails the base plate and connections will be fine. Someone had made metal skid plates for theirs that fit into each side, but I haven't gone that far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12Wrangler.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	131678  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Dan

Can you tell me the brand on the led light on your bumper? What scheme did you use to wire it?

Looks nice and seems to fit well between the mounting points on the stinger.

Rg

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I have the same Demco setup under an aftermarket bumper. I've done quite a bit of off roading with no problems. Granted, no rock crawling, but for general off road and mountain trails the base plate and connections will be fine. Someone had made metal skid plates for theirs that fit into each side, but I haven't gone that far.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post
Can you tell me the brand on the led light on your bumper? What scheme did you use to wire it? Looks nice and seems to fit well between the mounting points on the stinger.
Rg Jim
I searched on e-bay until I found one that was the right length to fit on the stinger. This one is a 17" length, but an 18" would also work. Most of the light bars were either longer or shorter. It shows to be a Tough Bar brand with Osram lights. The center section has spot beams and the outer sets of lights are wide angle flood lights. I will say it is extremely bright and really lights up in front so much so it's not for on-road use. It came with a wiring harness and relay, but I changed the switch out for an LED switch on the dash. Just search on E-bay for 17" or 18" LED light bar and you'll find several. I hope this helps.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #12

Unless you intend to do rock crawling the brackets are not likely to be damaged. Also if the Jeep has the stock suspension you're probably not going to be able to take it in places that will cause damage.

We have about 150,000 towed and driven miles on our stock 04 Jeep Wrangler. I would guess that 10,000 of the 50,000 driven miles are off road. We generally stick to the trails rated 5 and below for a stock machine.

Trail Rating System - used in Offroading Home

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/4WD_Trail_Rating

There have been times we've gone on a trail rated as a 6, but it took a lot of time and patience to avoid damage. We've done trails around Moab, Telluride, Ouray, Sedona, the Minnesota and Michigan Iron Range, and dozens of other places without damage.

While there is no universal trail rating system I am aware of we tend to do the moderate ones. I'm not one who is into repairing the Jeep after every off road adventure.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Schrockworks Custom Bumper

I had Shrockworks build a custom bumper with Roadmaster towbar connection points welded directly on front of the bumper for my 2004 Toyota Tacoma. They do Jeep bumpers too. I bought Rockhard connection points and had them do something similar but welded on. Shrockworks is located in Houston. Rockhard is a good company too, but they don't do Toyota.

Regards, Jerry
Old 07-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You can do two things. Move the connectors higher up to another opening or fabricate a protective plate that is bolted on or hinged on and swings down to cover the equipment.

I just did the tow equipment install on my CRV. I added a hinged license plate mount that lifts up to expose the connectors.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads