Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
Owner's Manual steps to prepare 2010 Jeep Wrangler with automatic trans for towing -- note step 13? You folks are more knowledgeable than I am on this subject -- I think I will send the folks at Jeep an email and ask "Why".
  1. Turn the engine off.
  2. Press the brake pedal.
  3. Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL or press the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.
  4. Shift the transfer case lever into N (Neutral).
  5. Start the engine.
  6. Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE or the manual transmission into gear.
  7. Release the brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
  8. Turn the engine off and turn the ignition switch to the ACC position.
  9. Shift the automatic transmission into PARK.
  10. Apply the parking brake.
  11. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle with the tow bar.
  12. Release the parking brake.
  13. Disconnect the negative battery cable, and secure it away from the negative battery post.

They have apparently not updated the manual after 2008, which I have a 2008 Rubicon. We verified my neighbors' 2009 wheel does not lock and there have been numerous others who have posted that their 2010 also does not lock. Just to satisfy yourself, check it. With your key out, you should be able to rotate the wheel.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #16

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I tow a 2008 Jeep Sahara 4Dr. Key must be in position1 to unlock steering. I bought the battery cut off from Cool Tech. It works great. I pulled the IOD fuse the first 2 years and sometimes it was easy to pull up and other times difficult. It does not need to be pulled only lifted enough to disengage. Moving the shifter for 4 wheel drive to neutral and back to 2WD after towing can be difficult. If you have this problem let me know and I will give you my routine.

We have towed the Jeep about 20K miles. I rotate the tires at every oil change including the spare. Wear is looking pretty even.

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #17

If you want to tow with the key off, go to your Jeep dealer and have them remove the locking pawl. Easy job and not very expensive. I got tired of pulling my IOD fuse and having to reset my radio. You can leave the key out, lock the doors and go!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
soonerdave:

Thanks for the input on having the steering locking pawl removed from a 2007/2008 Wrangler. I will ask my service advisor about it on the next trip to my service center. Pulling the fuse and leaving the Jeep unlocked is a pain.

Thanks again.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:30 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I have been to the stealership 4 times to try and get a answer as to WHY the key has to be in and turned to the ACC position on my 2009 Unlimited 4 dr JK Rubicon. They contacted a factory tech and his answer was the manual said to do so you have to put the key in ?????? Even though it does not have a steering column lock. He said it may lock up if the key is not in and turned to the ACC position. I did try it this past weekend and it towed fine without the key. Does anyone have any positive info or proof that it is OK to tow a 09 Jeep with out useing the key. I have also installed the Toad Charger system and it works great but would prefer to tow with useing the key. Thanks for any Input or Info.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Just got my Blue Ox, tow bar and Jeep 2010 base plate hooked up by dealer.

Put my 2010 Sahara transfer case in neutral, tranny in first gear, NO KEY in ignition at all. Watched as driver made turns in lot, wheel moved freely, no steering wheel lock.

Did a test drive of about 5 miles, all went well as to be expected.

Chrysler jeep will never admit that 2009 & 2010's DON'T have Steering Wheel locks. Pat answer is the manual says so, so that is the way you do it. No lock, no reason to keep key in acc position.

Never mind that the manual and the hand book for my 2010 Jeep have conflicting information. The handbook that comes with your jeep for manual transmission says to put your tranny in neutral when flat towing, the manual says put it in gear. Duhh thay can't even get that right.

I called Chrysler, the Cd manual is correct, but they still say you have to put a key in ignition in acc position, in case your steering wheel locks...LOL How this will be accomplished without a steering wheel lock is beyond me.

Good Luck.. for me, no more key.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Towing 09 JK behind Motorhome without a key.

Well it is Official. Chrysler call yesterday 3/25/10. The Tech that called said that Chrysler did NOT update the owner manuals on the 2009 and 2010 and some late 2008 model jeep to say that the key did NOT have to be used when towing these years JEEPs. He also said that they should have sent out something saying this but did NOT. He has received a ton of calls asking this very same question. I asked him to send me or this forum and the forum JK.com something stating this. He said he would contact the "Higher Powers To Be ". Good luck with this.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi rguarin:

Good job in getting them to admit it finally. I won't say I told you so... but I told you so...

Regards.. Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
good info here how many folks use or dont use aux braking
brian j
Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Ya'll:

I hate disconnecting the battery too (mainly because I have to reset the clock), but we had a 2-door 2009 wrangler prior to this 2010, and I think i screwed up some of the electronics settings by applying coach power to the toad without following the battery disconnect routine.

Just food for thought.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
When I first got the 09 4 door Rubi I just towed it like I towed my 03 Rubi tranny in gear transfercase in neutral and key in ignition turned to the ACC position never had a problem. Mostly short trips 1 to 2 hours then last October I towed home from Smokey Mountains 11 1/2 hours and had a dead battery when I got home. So I installed a " TOAD CHARGER " in the 09 Rubi. Built a new wiring harness so only one cable to plug in and the Motorhome charges the Jeep battery. Works great but now I know that the key is NOT needed to tow a 09 and 10 Jeep so it is just extra insurance. Anyone with a 07 and a 08 Jeep this is the way to go. No pulling the IOD fuse or disconnecting the battery cable no having to reset the time or radio. It is a little expensive about $100. But I found it worth the cost and trouble to hook up. Going to RETIRE in 12 months and planning a lot of long trips.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #26

The scary part for me about the published procedure is leaving the auto transmission in park when towing. It just seems so wrong despite the transfercase being in neutral.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:26 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
evotech I have been towing my Jeeps behind Motorhomes since 1992. All with standard transmissions except for the 09 JK it has a automatic. And all of them were put in gear or park after the transfer case was put in neutral. I know this is scary. If the TC slips out of neutral it could do some damage but I was told that if the tranny turns without being powered by the engine the lack of oil pressure could also tear it up ????? So far 3 Motorhomes and 4 Jeeps later and no problems. All I can say is double check that the Transfer case is in neutral. I always do this before I hook the Jeep to the Coach. The wife and the grandkids know to leave me alone while I am doing this so as not to get side tracked and miss a step .