Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #1

Jeep towing

we have 08 jeep wrangler 4 dr and i have installed roadmaster tow system with cool tech wiring system and i have not towed it yet but before i do does anyone have any advice as to anything else i might need . this is my first time towing any thing behind my rig . although i have driven semis and pulled trailers all life
TIREGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREGOD View Post
we have 08 jeep wrangler 4 dr and i have installed roadmaster tow system with cool tech wiring system and i have not towed it yet but before i do does anyone have any advice as to anything else i might need . this is my first time towing any thing behind my rig . although i have driven semis and pulled trailers all life
Tiregod,

Check to see if your steering wheel locks, my 09 dosen't and I can tow with out a key. My buddy has an 08 Rubi and he tows his also with out the key also, just make sure that you have the TR case and transmission set like recommended by the manual. (No battery drain, don't have to worry about forgetting to put the key in the next morning before you leave). I installed the US Gear Unified Tow Brake on my Jeep. There are some good Aux braking systems out there that you might want to consider.

P.S. The Jeep tows very easily in most cases you won't know it's back there.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
Main thing is the steering...make sure the steering wheel is not locked. With my '07 I leave the key in the ignition turned to the ACC position so the steering wheel is unlocked, and I have a knife switch on the battery so I can disconnect the battery before I plug in to the coach. I don't want to kill the battery in the Jeep (brake/turn lights). And I have the M&G aux brake system on the Jeep that has proportional braking using the coach air brakes and it doesn't need power from the Jeep or coach.
deadeye916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #4

If your 08 is like my 07 (and I belive it is), you need to pull the IOD 60A fuse to prevent draining the battery in the ACC position.

You don't need to disconnect the battery. This has been addressed numerous times before on this forum so the search feature should find more than you care to know.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Jeep Towing

We have a 2008 Jeep Liberty and it tows great.
1940 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The only quirk I can think of is be careful when you have to turn starting off from a dead stop. Remember if you turn right the toad will swing left until it starts moving. I've seen prople nail curbs with the toad rim by turning the MH left right away and pulling out. It could cause damage.

Other than that, you won't know it's back there. have fun.
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Also look at page 345 of your users manual and follow the directions exactly for shifting your transfer case into neutral.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #8

Copy exact prosedure from user manual on shifting transfer case to neutral and other set ups. Laminate and keep in Jeep. Follow prosedure every time you hook up and you will eliminate skipped steps. Been pulling 2000 jeep Cherokee Sport for 3 years with no problems.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Commercial Member

The steering wheel on the 2007-2008 Jeep Wranglers do have an integral lock and must be towed with the key in the first position. To prevent the battery from draining, either disconnect the battery (Jeep's recommendation) or pull (i.e., "lift") the IOD fuse.

The 2009-2010 Jeep Wranglers do not have the steering wheel lock and, as such, can be towed without the key. No need to do anything with the battery in these model years.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:22 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
The steering wheel on the 2007-2008 Jeep Wranglers do have an integral lock and must be towed with the key in the first position. To prevent the battery from draining, either disconnect the battery (Jeep's recommendation) or pull (i.e., "lift") the IOD fuse.

The 2009-2010 Jeep Wranglers do not have the steering wheel lock and, as such, can be towed without the key. No need to do anything with the battery in these model years.
Thanks 'CoolTech' for the clarification -- our 2010 Jeep Wrangler manual states we have to disconnect the battery prior to connecting to tow vehicle.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Rarely would I disagree with the manual, but I think the manual may not have been updated properly in this case.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
Rarely would I disagree with the manual, but I think the manual may not have been updated properly in this case.
I agree. The manual for my 07 says that the ones with automatic transmission don't have locking steering wheels.

WRONG!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Owner's Manual steps to prepare 2010 Jeep Wrangler with automatic trans for towing -- note step 13? You folks are more knowledgeable than I am on this subject -- I think I will send the folks at Jeep an email and ask "Why".
  1. Turn the engine off.
  2. Press the brake pedal.
  3. Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL or press the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.
  4. Shift the transfer case lever into N (Neutral).
  5. Start the engine.
  6. Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE or the manual transmission into gear.
  7. Release the brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
  8. Turn the engine off and turn the ignition switch to the ACC position.
  9. Shift the automatic transmission into PARK.
  10. Apply the parking brake.
  11. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle with the tow bar.
  12. Release the parking brake.
  13. Disconnect the negative battery cable, and secure it away from the negative battery post.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
My 2007 Sahara 2-door six-speed works exactly as CoolTech stated. I also pull the tail light fuse (# 15) since I have separate bulbs installed in the tail light housings (Blue Ox kit). I leave the battery live to power the Brake Buddy.

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to remove the steering lock system from a 2007/2008 Wrangler?
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote