Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #1

Jeep towing

A few months ago I asked a question in here about towing my Jeep Liberty on a trailer. All of you as always were very helpful. Now I am in the market to get a tow bar and base plates and flat tow it. It is able to be towed this way but my question concerns the ability of the motorhome to do the job. This is the info on the motorhome: 2006 Georgetown 370TS. Ford V-10 engine. I believe I found the towing capacity is 4000 lbs. I always thought that would apply to a trailer. Does the same rule of thumb apply to a four down towed vehicle? I have a class IV hitch.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
KIX

There are two weight "ratings" to consider when towing.
1. Tongue weight.....the vertical force of the towed weight on the moho hitch adn,
2. The weight that can be towed......horizontally

In towing a vehicle using a tow bar you can disregard #1 but #2 must be considered. If you towing weight rating is 4000# and your Jeep is less than 4001# then you're good to go. If your Jeep weighs more than 4000# then you've got some decisions to make.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #3

GVWR: 22000
GCVWR: 26000
Am I reading these #'s right? This is where I am guessing that I can tow 4000lbs. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
GVWR: 22000
GCVWR: 26000
Am I reading these #'s right? This is where I am guessing that I can tow 4000lbs. Thanks for the response.
Yep......GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Total weight of the moho with all fuels, fluids, stuff and passengers

GCVWR = Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating Total as above + weight of what you are towing.

So, 4000# for your Jeep is the max you can tow......providing your moho loaded weight is 22,000# or less.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #5

So, if I pack up the moho and drive it across the scales and it comes in at.....oh say....19000# then that's good, right? The Jeep tipped the scales yesterday at 4480 lbs. Couldn't believe that silly thing weighed that much.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Devil Dog, Yes you are reading the numbers right. It should tow fine.

Mike
Old 01-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
KIX

Quote:
So, if I pack up the moho and drive it across the scales and it comes in at.....oh say....19000# then that's good, right? The Jeep tipped the scales yesterday at 4480 lbs. Couldn't believe that silly thing weighed that much.
The 19,000# loaded moho weight is good......in fact you could load another 3000# of stuff, people, fuel, etc. in it. BUT, if your Jeep weighs 4480# then the Jeep is too heavy to tow with your moho.......480# too heavy. Remember, the max. weight for something you tow is 4000# regardless of the moho weight.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
KIX, I do not agree with the statement that the maximum toad weight is the difference between the GVWR and the GCWR.

The GVWR is the maximum weight allowed for the RV, assuming nothing being towed. This includes the weight of the vehicle plus fuel, passengers, cargo and tongue weight.

The GCWR (sometimes GCVWR) is the maximum weight allowed for the RV plus whatever it is towing.

The GTWR is the maximum weight allowed for towing. This is the smaller of the hitch rating or a manufacturer supplied rating. Just because there is a higher rated hitch does not mean the RV structure has been designed to support its maximum capability. It is a bit surprising that Devil Dog has a Class IV hitch. This is a 10,000 lbs hitch and more typically we see Class III (5,000 lb) hitch on gas RVs.

So what does this mean for a RV with the following specs:
GVWR: 22,000 lbs
GCWR: 26,000 lbs
GTWR: 5,000 lbs (this is not stated, I limited it to typical gas RV ratings)
Hitch Rating: Class IV, 10,000 lbs, tongue: 1,000 lbs (unusual hitch for gas RV)
Toad weight: 4,500 lbs
1. When you load up your RV, don't put so much stuff in it to go over 22,000 lbs. One good way of limiting this is to keep the water tank very empty. In my case a 100 gallon water tank full of water weighs 800 lbs.

2. When you tow make sure the combined weight of the RV full of stuff and the toad stays under 26,000 lbs.

3. The toad weight must not exceed the GTWR or the rating of the hitch, whichever is smaller. Remember the tongue weight subtracts from the GVWR. In this example the toad must not exceed 5,000 lbs.

Given numbers above Devil Dog could load his RV till it weighs 22,000 lbs and then would have 4,000 lbs of capacity to tow. If he wants have a 4,500 lb toad, he will need to limit the weight of the RV to 21,500 lbs.

Now the bad news is that some manufacturers actually designed and built RV's that are at their GVWR with no fuel, water, passengers or cargo. Bad, bad, bad.

To be sure of what capacity is really available I would recommend that Devil Dog load his RV for a trip, take the family down to a weigh scale and see where his RV is relative to the GVWR.

The GCWR rating (26,000 lbs) minus the actual weight of the RV is the maximum weight limit of the toad.

References:
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...Tid/596462.cfm

Changing gears calculator
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
KIX

Alvinc,
"The GCWR rating (26,000 lbs) minus the actual weight of the RV is the maximum weight limit of the toad."
You are right. My only excuse is it was late when I posted
Sorry Devil Dog.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #10

I always know that I can count on getting help here. That's why I like irv2 so much! I am taking the moho and weighing this weekend. I am also going to tell you how I managed to get a class IV hitch. I installed it. The other one seemed cheap. But I have to say I am thinking after checking on the price of tow bars, base plates and brake buddies it might be cheaper to rent a car when I get there!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I always know that I can count on getting help here. That's why I like irv2 so much! I am taking the moho and weighing this weekend. I am also going to tell you how I managed to get a class IV hitch. I installed it. The other one seemed cheap. But I have to say I am thinking after checking on the price of tow bars, base plates and brake buddies it might be cheaper to rent a car when I get there!
What was the capacity of the original hitch, or what is the listed towing capacity shown in the motor home documentation???

I suspect the original was a 5,000 lb hitch.

There are two points of concern, just to be paranoid.

1. If the original hitch was a 3,500 lb hitch (unlikely) or the RV documentation indicates that 3,500 lbs is the limit for towing, the GVWR and GCWR are irrelevant. The limit is 3,500 lbs. Not likely.

2. Uprating the hitch does not change the tow capacity. Unfortunately most all of the gas RV's use frame extensions to mount the hitch. This means the extension was engineered for the listed weight capacity. If a stronger hitch is installed, the frame extension would also need to be beefed up. If so, it still might not change the tow capacity because the vehicle will still be limited by the GVW (actual weight of the vehicle) and the GCWR.

On my RV (Fleetwood) there is a placard next to the driver that lists the GVWR, GCWR, and GTWR (maximum weight of anything being towed).

I understand your frustrations with all the potential issues of towing. I hae also considered renting, especially since Enterprise will come get you (I presume others will too) and drop you off at the end. But I warn you, this also requires a lot of planning on an ongoing basis and not every town has an Enterprise or convenient rental outlet.

You are almost there. Depending on the actual wieght of your RV (GVW) you will be able to move to purchasing the rest of the kit (tow bar, cables, brake system, etc).

One last note: I know a lot of RV'ers who regularly are overweight by 500-1000 lbs, either in GCWR or GVWR (or both). I try to stay below the limits, but sometimes it just isn't convenient. Yes, we take a risk doing this, but we do it anyway.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Devil Dog;769287I am taking the moho and weighing this weekend.[/QUOTE]I don't know where you live, but if you are anywhere near an agricultural area, there are probably free weigh scales on secondary roads available.

I live in Oregon and statewide (Washington include) there is little reason to pay for a weighing. Scattered throughout the state there are agro scales are are open 24/7 and are accurate to 50 lbs (I think). If you go after hours you can weigh each wheel (all 4 corners) as well. Of course you will have to turn the vehicle around to separately weigh the drivers side. I have not been able to find an online Oregon list of these scales, but stop at a farm house and ask.

Story: I was weighing my rig at a scale on Oregon Hwy 26 (2 lanes each side) and turned the RV around to weigh the drivers side. A Oregon State police car pulled in questioning what I was doing. Once I explained, he had no problem with it, just cautioned me to turn around again before getting back on the Hwy.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #13

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate each of them. I think I might rent a car. I am only taking a week or so to go home to visit in NE Texas. Straight shot from Yuma to there and back. I think that might be cheaper.

2006 Georgetown 370TS
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #14

Ooops, meant to say I was going to think about renting a car in Texas. I am still taking the coach because I don't get to use it very often.

2006 Georgetown 370TS
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote