Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabb E View Post
Rider Fan
My 09 Wrangler doesn't have a steering lock so you don't have to leave the key in the ignition, no battery drain except for the brake buddy which is very little. Think you could tow for a week and never start the Jeep and still have a good charge on the battery. To check if you do or don't have a steering lock you can jack up the front end and see if you can turn the wheels with the key out. I thought from 2008 on there was no steering lock--best to check it yourself.
Wranglers make great toads because they are so easy to set up and a blast when you get where you'r going.
Have fun.
No need to raise the front end. If you have a steering lock, the steering wheel won't turn with the key out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
The 08 for some incredibly stupid reason needs the battery disconnected or a fuse yanked, otherwise miles will accumulate when driving or the steering will lock....
Remember, this is the same company that made an electronic shift lever with no detents that recently caused the death of a Star Trek actor.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
No need to raise the front end. If you have a steering lock, the steering wheel won't turn with the key out.

Remember, this is the same company that made an electronic shift lever with no detents that recently caused the death of a Star Trek actor.
This is not true, there are detents and besides you should always set the Parking Break when shifting to Park.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
This is not true, there are detents and besides you should always set the Parking Break when shifting to Park.
It's parking brake and see if that argument that the brake should always be set holds up in the numerous lawsuits filed about this issue. If it was so well designed, why is there a recall on the system? You are correct, it's not a lack of detents in the shifter motion, it's the fact that the shifter is pushed forward or back to select a gear, then it always returns to the same upright position, making people think it's in Park when it's not. Yes, there are lights and a chime that sounds if the ignition is off/door is opened when not in park, but it has still injured at least 42 people who've stepped out of the Cherokee.

By the way, I claim on myself because this thread was about a 2008 Jeep 4DR Sahara 4WD, not a Jeep Cherokee. My deviation from the topic was to point out to NC25T's statement, "The 08 for some incredibly stupid reason needs the battery disconnected or a fuse yanked, otherwise miles will accumulate when driving or the steering will lock." yhat not all vehicle design features are well thought out or thought through at all.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #18

If your mechanically inclined I would read this link. 08 JK Steering Wheel Locking Pin Removal
It tells you how to remove the steering wheel lock. No key and no battery disconnect. Makes towing that much nicer. The link is for JK, but it can also be done with TJ model which I have and only takes less than an hour.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:22 AM   #19

Jeep Towing

Thank you all very much for the excellent input and overall genourosity sharing your experience.
Hooked the jeep up behind my Endeavor and did a test run. Everything worked beautiful and friend following me reported that all signals , brake lights etc were functioning properly. I did notice [without battery disconnect or pulling fuse ] that i was racking up miles. I will correct that.
After a bit of fooling around with focus on rear camera I can see the little fart perfect, it tracks straight as a die like it's supposed to.
Another tip i got ,regarding safety, is when you are prepared to un hook put on the hand brake or shift T-case to avoid the jeep rolling towards you........probably unlikely on flat ground but i consider it a good idea.
Thanks again and happy trails.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #20

Disconnecting the battery or fuse will result in no miles added to your jeep

However if you disconnect the battery your jeep will then not have power for the lights and brake assist. I do not know if yanking the fuse will have the same result

We ran a seperate harness from the RV to power the brake buddy and also work the jeeps lights.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #21

Still learning.......

Well i have [as mentioned] got my jeep all ready with the Blue ox gear for towing and have gained knowledge thanks to experienced forum members. So , i'm very excited to get a camping spot and tickets to "Desert Trip" in October and it will be a long haul from Canada ! Then my buddy rained on my party and said "where is your brake system for toad " ? i don't have one. He told me he did not have one either for a few years pulling his Edge but has one now because of the laws in various states and the liability.
So , as these conversations go, I spoke with another guy with a 40' DP and Jeep for a toad and he said he has never had one and never had an issue ??
Does everyone run a brake assist ? I can't even tell the Jeep is behind me and do not seem to have any braking issues. I have towed many triple axle equipment trailers with F-550 type trucks that had trailer brakes and i KNEW they were required as the load could easily "push" the truck on hills and when quick braking was needed. Am I neglecting my due diligence and possibly breaking the law without a brake system ?
Old 08-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Not only is an auxiliary braking system the law in many states, it's a law of physics. Take the Jeep out to a flat parking lot. Get out and start pushing the Jeep. It takes energy to get it moving. Now run around to the front and try to stop it. It takes an equal amount of energy to halt it. That force will be on your receiver during an emergency stop or any down-grade. The auxiliary braking system will shorten your stopping distances and save wear and tear on the RV brakes.

The braking requirement also usually includes emergency braking in case the trailer or towed vehicle breaks loose from the tow vehicle. What's going to stop your Jeep if it breaks away? A tree? An oncoming car? A pedestrian?

It's just being safety smart to have an auxiliary braking system. I wouldn't tow without it and really think anyone who suggests, "You don't need it." isn't really a responsible person. JMHO

Bob & Donna
Old 08-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #23

for me it's not really that I need the added stopping power when towing the jeep... then again I live in flat Ohio, if I was in the mountains that would be different

Mostly for me it's a safety net in case the vehicle separates from the RV, something needs to stop it and I do not want it to be another vehicle.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #24

Braking system

I am having a braking system installed before my trip. Thks for input.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I towed for a bit without an auxiliary brake, and now I have the RVI2 Brake. To be honest, I think the RVI2 brake is doing very little for me, but it meets the law and its taking some of the wear and tear off the Blue Ox Tow Bar when I stop.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
for me it's not really that I need the added stopping power when towing the jeep... then again I live in flat Ohio, if I was in the mountains that would be different

Mostly for me it's a safety net in case the vehicle separates from the RV, something needs to stop it and I do not want it to be another vehicle.
You must live in the northern part of Ohio, it's quite hilly around Cincinnati and to the east of us.

If you trust your storage of items in the overhead cabinets, why not try an experiment, I did once. Take the RV and toad to an open flat parking lot. Unplug the aux. braking. Bring speed up to 20 mph and apply the brakes HARD when you reach a mark on the parking lot. Mark the stopping spot with a chalk mark. Repeat test, with brakes hooked up. I think you'll find that the aux. brakes help even at just 20 mph, let alone at 60 mph.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You must live in the northern part of Ohio, it's quite hilly around Cincinnati and to the east of us.

If you trust your storage of items in the overhead cabinets, why not try an experiment, I did once. Take the RV and toad to an open flat parking lot. Unplug the aux. braking. Bring speed up to 20 mph and apply the brakes HARD when you reach a mark on the parking lot. Mark the stopping spot with a chalk mark. Repeat test, with brakes hooked up. I think you'll find that the aux. brakes help even at just 20 mph, let alone at 60 mph.
Actually just north in Dayton. Yes to the east of you there are hills... To the west once in Indiana and north it gets flat...

You actually don't even need to test it with the RV like you mentioned. Simply loading up a car full of people and doing some braking tests will show similar result. More weigh and the distance will be longer, adding 20% to a cars weight or RV weight will result in a descent increase in stopping distance.

W/o a doubt I know my stopping distance increases, easy to feel that weight push the RV.... I know it's back there... But for me the most important thing is if it breaks loose, I know it will stop
Old 08-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman-az View Post
If your mechanically inclined I would read this link. 08 JK Steering Wheel Locking Pin Removal
It tells you how to remove the steering wheel lock. No key and no battery disconnect. Makes towing that much nicer. The link is for JK, but it can also be done with TJ model which I have and only takes less than an hour.
Very nice info. I may try it on my TJ. I don't have the Ignition On problem, but I sure hate listening to that continuous "key in the ignition" chime while I'm installing or removing my portable brake. Thanks for the link.

Tags
tow, towing