Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Very nice info. I may try it on my TJ. I don't have the Ignition On problem, but I sure hate listening to that continuous "key in the ignition" chime while I'm installing or removing my portable brake. Thanks for the link.
Just curious, why do you have to leave ignition on to place/remove portable brake? On my car, I don't turn the ignition on until everything is in place and plugged in. Last step is turn ignition on to unlock steering, then back to accessory position. (Actually, I can turn ignition off, the steering remains unlocked as long as key is left in ignition switch) The chime only happens with door open, and I'm usually on the way out at that point.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe I can shut it off - I could try I guess. I usually leave all of that alone once I get the transmission and transfer case set, and the brake is the last thing I install.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I had my 2008 wrangler i always pulled the IOD fuse
Old 08-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
Disconnecting the battery or fuse will result in no miles added to your jeep

However if you disconnect the battery your jeep will then not have power for the lights and brake assist. I do not know if yanking the fuse will have the same result

We ran a seperate harness from the RV to power the brake buddy and also work the jeeps lights.
Unless I'm mistaken, the odometer runs off of the transmission not the wheels as in the days of old. If you're not driving, it's not ticking.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.elliott63 View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, the odometer runs off of the transmission not the wheels as in the days of old. If you're not driving, it's not ticking.
If the key is in any position to deactivate steering lock, the odometer is on thus miles add up. The vehicle doesn't really car who is driving it, if there is power miles will be added.

Many vehicles use ABS sensors for speed, miles etc. No clue what jeep uses... Can't be the trans due to what I stated above
Old 08-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
If the key is in any position to deactivate steering lock, the odometer is on thus miles add up. The vehicle doesn't really car who is driving it, if there is power miles will be added.
We are talking only about the 2008, right? None of the TJs (97-06) apply power to the odometer when the key is used to unlock the steering. The key would have to be rotated further to the Ignition position for that to happen. The JK (07-) doesn't even require the key except for the 2008 I believe.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
We are talking only about the 2008, right? None of the TJs (97-06) apply power to the odometer when the key is used to unlock the steering. The key would have to be rotated further to the Ignition position for that to happen. The JK (07-) doesn't even require the key except for the 2008 I believe.
Correct, I believe it's only 08 where this was the case, in 09 and newer it works like your TJ
Old 08-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having had a 2008 and towed over thousands of miles never has it racked up miles with the key in to unlock the steering
Old 08-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 DR with Manual Transmission. I installed a knife switch on the battery and simply open it (disconnect battery) when I tow. Turn the key on and transfer case in Neutral. I leave the transmission in neutral or any forward gear. I read somewhere where you put it in a gear so if it breaks away the gears will slow down the runaway jeep. I figure with the auxiliary brake with the break-a-way feature it doesn't matter. I once forgot to disconnect the battery and ended not with a dead battery after a day of traveling. I now carry a battery jump box in the Jeep. For my auxiliary braking I use a RVI2 brake and have run a separate power outlet from the battery that is always hot. I tuck it up under the dash with the auxiliary brake's break-a-way cable when not in use. For a tow bar I use the Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain. I used to use Roadmaster Mounts but have since switched my front bumper to one made by RockHard 4X4 which has the tow bar connections always on it. It is so much easier.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a side note to my previous post where I noted that I use a knife switch to disconnect the battery - this morning in the FMCA Magazine I saw an advertisement for a remote battery disconnect switch (here it is on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-20395.../dp/B00KTSBGDS ) I am wondering if anyone uses it on their toad. It would also prevent the battery from going dead when you forget to disconnect it.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
Having had a 2008 and towed over thousands of miles never has it racked up miles with the key in to unlock the steering
I towed my 08 approx 21,000 miles with approx 90 of those miles adding miles when it was being towed. Added a battery quick disconnect which fixed the problem

Tags
tow, towing