Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #1

Jeep TPMS system

My 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee is equipped with a internal TPMS system. The special valves send the pressure info to the engine computer via wireless. Why would this not be compatible with the Trip Tek system or is it??

HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes and no... The sensors, no, however there is no reason you can't install a 2nd TPMS system on the vehicle (The Trip Tek)

The two systems will most likely co-exist in 100% peace as they use different methods of delivering the information to their monitors.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #3

So is the Trip Tek system not a valve? (Can't do 2) Or is it a little box (sensor) mounted inside the tire?
Old 10-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #4

I just read in another post. When a tire goes low in the Jeep, a light comes on in the dash. If I could track that signal and transmit the signal to the coach (wire or wireless)... I now have a TPSM for my toad! Tx again IRV2.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Triptek sensors mount inside the tire (strapped to the rim).

Good luck figuring out a way to detect the TPMS signal from the car's computer.

joe
Old 10-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #6

When I installed side-cams on my previous motorhome, I hooked up to the the turn signals by connecting to the actual arrow lights in the dash. No idea how easy or difficult to pull the dash on the Jeep but I plan on trying. This is a very inexpensive TPMS solution! Have not resolved getting the signal to the coach yet and one more issue is the key has to be in and at the on position for the tire warning light to come on. Nothing's easy.
Having fun at Newmar??
Old 10-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think you are going to spend more trying to capture and interpret the TPMS signal than a second system would cost. You only need four additional sensors to add the toad to a motorhome system and that is less than $200 extra.

Your built-in Jeep TPMS is broadcasting a proprietary signal that is picked up by the Jeeps computer and translated to a warning that appears on the dash. I suppose you could just pick-off the fact that a dash light has come on (or is it an LCD display message?) and use that to trigger a warning light in the coach. Then you could stop and go read out the Jeeps display to see exactly what is wrong. But if you want to see the full warning data in the coach, you have to interpret the signals and that is going to require some custom radio electronics that are not going to be cheap.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Triptek sensors mount inside the tire (strapped to the rim).

Good luck figuring out a way to detect the TPMS signal from the car's computer.

joe

Method 1: Put a photo cell over the indicator light (you need two, one as reference not over the light, one as "Sense" over the light)

Mehod 2: solder wires to the light's socket and use them to signal TROUBLE

method 3: Put a current sensing relay in the light's power lead and sense when it is drawing current.

Need any more suggestions?

Oh, and if you are wondering how long it took to come up with those 3 methods... Less time than It took to type this message at well over 50 WPM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #9

I was going to use method 2. In order for this to work I need to get this signal to the front of the coach (to another light). I've come to the realization that it's a lot of wiring (in the Jeep and in the coach) and the other small problem is I would now have to have the key in the ignition in order for the 'tire' warning light to go on in the Jeep. I've decided to order the TPMS system from Trip Tek seeing as I already have the Trip Tek computer.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Pressure Pro system in my rig. My solution was to purchase 4 more sensors and screw them onto the valve stems. I know exactly how the Jeep tires are doing-------all the time!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #11

Ordered two pairs of sensors from Trip Tek today. $128/pair, $256 total + shipping. Trip Tek said if original system was installed at factory (which it was) then the antenna was installed. I've decided to only monitor the Jeep, if a front tire blows up on the coach, I suspect I won't need an alarm... I did not really look at other TPMS systems as I already had the Trip Tek.