Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 12:19 AM   #1

Jeep vacuum booster problem, Brake Buddy

I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and plan to use this as my Toad behind my Winnebago.
I bought a Brake Buddy system since I liked the idea of a permanent mounted system and the vacuum pump solution seemed like a good way to do this.
I bought the system from PPL and installed it last week.
After the install I tested the system according to directions and my vacuum pump was running all the time so I called tech support and spoke to Gary.
He seemed very knowlegable about system and ran me through a couple of tests
To see where the leak was. We determined that the vacuum booster was not holding a vacuum. I took the Jeep to a friends auto repair shop and we diagnosed it as well and came up with the same conclusion.
We ordered a new booster and had the same problem. The booster will not hold the vacuum for any length of time. We can visually see this with a vacuum gauge hooked to the booster.
I called Gary again and explained the problem. The Brake Buddy vacuum pump will not produce enough vacuum to overcome the leak in the old and new booster. He said he has never encountered this situation with any vehicle.
We then ordered another new booster just to be sure we did not get a bad new one. The second new booster has the same issue, it has a designed leak. It is not obvious where the leak is but it is present in all 3 boosters.
So my questions are, has anyone else with a Jeep or any other vehicle using a Brake Buddy run into this problem?
And do you have any possible solutions to sugest?
I have about 4 hours into this install not including the diagnosis of this problem. I would prefer to use the currently installed system if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Charlie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have not had any issues with mine. Brake Buddy Sheath in 2012 Jeep wrangler.
Is the check valve between the vacuum pump tee and the engine good and pointing the correction direction?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #3

Yes, double and triple checked the Ts and connectors. Pump will draw down and stop once I disconnect hose from booster and put my thumb over it.
If the Jeep is running then there is enough vacuum from engine for vacuum pump to shut off. Once I shut the Jeep off the pump will cycle every 15 seconds or so to keep up with the internal leak. If the brake pedal in the Jepp gets activated then too much vacuum loss occours and pump cannot catch up ever.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Is the master cylinder push rod adjusted to the correct length? The one in the booster.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Worse comes to worse you could add one of these (or something similar) for additional reserve. JMHO

http://www.summitracing.com/search/s...cuum-canisters
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #6

Thanks for your replys. I will check into those cannisters and rod length to see if that can help.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #7

We got on the road yesterday with marginal braking from the Jeep.
The vacuum pump runs about 80% of the time.
If I start the Jeep and get full vacuum in the cannister them it seem to work OK.
I have the sensitivety at full and braking at 90%.
i can feel it working but it is minimal.
Better than nothing at this point.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #8

Update.
After 3,200 miles on our recent trip and what feels like marginal breaking from the toad I can see that the breaks must be working on the toad since it has a fair amount of brake dust on the front wheels.
The pump for the Brake Buddy runs nearly all the time. If you have not used the brakes in 10 minutes or so (like rolling down the hiway) then the first application of brakes is pretty good. If used in succession or repeatedly then brakes are weak due to slow slow build up of vacuum.
Overall not too happy with this system and would reccomend Jeep owners to consider other options.
I have ordered some better brake pads for the MH made by Hawk to see if I can improve overallbraking performance in MH.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Are you saying the vacuum pump on the jeep is running? When the BB is first initiated, it will cycle several times to bleed off any vacuum residual in the jeep system. You don't need or want vacuum when the BB activates as it will cause grabbing and jerking and over-braking.
My BB works well in my '13 Sahara. The BB has a compressor, not a vacuum pump and when it cycles you can see the gauge build up to the set pressure.
Am I misunderstanding this entire thread?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #10

The vacuum pump supplied by the braking system runs almost all the time. It is supposed to create vacuum in the brake booster and shut off until you use the brakes which uses some of the vacuum in the booster.
For some reason on the 2005 Jeep the vacuum booster has a small leak built into it. I bought 2 new vacuum boosters from different sources and all have the same symptoms.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I checked ours this morning before leaving Estes Park. Took about 30 seconds to build up the vacuum and shut off. Checked it about half way to Idaho Spring and it was not running. Brake Buddy Stealth. First real mountain test for our new motorhome and Jeep toad, all was well.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #12

Update ? Still recommend another system ? Just purchased 05 Rubicon unlimited for behind the motor home . What is your Jeep set up ? Lift? Over size tires? Stock ?
martinfan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Save yourself a lot of grief and go to an M&G Brake system.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #14

Just looked up the m&g system . Not sure how I feel about the air valve on jeep side plus my rv is non-air so I would need the additional air pack . Why do you like it . Problem with other systems ?
martinfan01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake