Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #1

Jeep vs Toyota

DW wants a 4x4 for rock hunting. I have available a 1992 Toyota 4runner or a 1997 Jeep Cherokee. First, is the Toyota flat towable? 4x4 with auto trans. I have searched the interweb with no results if the Toyota is flat towable. The jeep, I think is flat towable. Any thoughts? Witch one would you choose?

stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
DW wants a 4x4 for rock hunting. I have available a 1992 Toyota 4runner or a 1997 Jeep Cherokee. First, is the Toyota flat towable? 4x4 with auto trans. I have searched the interweb with no results if the Toyota is flat towable. The jeep, I think is flat towable. Any thoughts? Witch one would you choose?
The Cherokee should be towable if it has a Neutral position for the transfer case and auto trans. No question in my mind - I'd go with the Jeep.

harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

X2 on the Jeep
Old 03-22-2016, 08:05 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
A manual toyota with manual hubs may be flat-towable. Seems that with the automatic, you need a rear driveshaft disconnect.

I don't know about the Jeep. I'd do more checking before I spun any automatic transmission without the pump being active.

Later Highlander and RAV4 may be flat towed:
Is it possible to tow my Toyota with all four wheels on the ground?
Old 03-22-2016, 08:36 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Easy. Jeep.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Easy. Jeep.
I'm gonna have to agree here with Mr Sheetz. The primary reason is, if I recall, looking in multiple years of the Dinghy Towing Guide from Trailer Life and Motorhome magazines, very, very few Toyotas have been factory authorized for flat towing. Regardless if their stick trannys or not. I just don't remember seeing any that were allowable to be flat towed. That doesn't mean people don't but....

As for the Jeep, Cherokees with a NEUTRAL in their transfer cases, regardless of the style/type of transmission, have been flat towable for years and years. I'd have to check but, if I recall, you may, or may not have what's called the model 231 transfer case in your Jeep Cherokee.

If so, that transfer case has it's own oil pump, right inside the rear tail cone that supplies oil to all the important points when being flat towed. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:54 PM   #7

I will address the Toyota side having worked for Toyota Motor Corp for 27 years. Does your 4-Runner have a manual shift transfer assembly that can be shifted into neutral? I have forgotten exactly when the transfer assembly was changed to the selector control on the dash. That model is NOT 4 down towable even if it has a neutral position. The manual lever shifted transfer assemblies are the only ones that can be towed 4 down. Even then the front hubs will need to be changed over to manual selectable type from their automatic select configeration.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:55 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know about the Jeep. I'd do more checking before I spun any automatic transmission without the pump being active.

That's the reason you always tow with the auto tranny in "park". Do not allow the tranny output shaft to turn. T/case must be in neutral.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #9

Years ago I had the 1977 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, that would have been able to be towed 4 down as it had a transfer case that could be put into neutral like the Jeeps and the Warn Locking Hubs which could be put in the free wheel setting. I'm not sure when Toyota changed from that set up or if they ever had it on the 4runners or not. I sure wish I would have kept that Landcruiser it was great for 4 wheeling. If I had known they were going to discontinue them I would have kept it forever.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I will address the Toyota side having worked for Toyota Motor Corp for 27 years. Does your 4-Runner have a manual shift transfer assembly that can be shifted into neutral? I have forgotten exactly when the transfer assembly was changed to the selector control on the dash. That model is NOT 4 down towable even if it has a neutral position. The manual lever shifted transfer assemblies are the only ones that can be towed 4 down. Even then the front hubs will need to be changed over to manual selectable type from their automatic select configeration.
Thanks for the info. The 4runner has the manual shift transfer case and does not have the unlockable hubs. Every website I visited ether didn't know or would not rec for towing. Have you rebuilt or gone thru a transfer case to see how it's lubed while being towed?
Old 04-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I'm gonna have to agree here with Mr Sheetz. The primary reason is, if I recall, looking in multiple years of the Dinghy Towing Guide from Trailer Life and Motorhome magazines, very, very few Toyotas have been factory authorized for flat towing. Regardless if their stick trannys or not. I just don't remember seeing any that were allowable to be flat towed. That doesn't mean people don't but....

As for the Jeep, Cherokees with a NEUTRAL in their transfer cases, regardless of the style/type of transmission, have been flat towable for years and years. I'd have to check but, if I recall, you may, or may not have what's called the model 231 transfer case in your Jeep Cherokee.

If so, that transfer case has it's own oil pump, right inside the rear tail cone that supplies oil to all the important points when being flat towed. Good luck.
Scott
Picked up the jeep xj for cheep!! Needs work. It's a 1995 with 4L six. Anybody have a similar jeep? Still looking for an owners manual so can you let me know the towing procedures? I will fab a front bumper with winch mount and ears for towing with roadmaster towbars. I made one for my Toyota pu that works great.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Picked up the jeep xj for cheep!! Needs work. It's a 1995 with 4L six. Anybody have a similar jeep? Still looking for an owners manual so can you let me know the towing procedures? I will fab a front bumper with winch mount and ears for towing with roadmaster towbars. I made one for my Toyota pu that works great.
Stink,
Keep searching for the owners manual but, in the meantime, here's the basic procedure for standard (not to be confused with "stick" jeeps) jeeps.

1. With engine running, place transmission in neutral
2. Place transfer case into neutral
3. To make sure you've actually achieved NEUTRAL in the transfer case, momentarily place the transmission in Drive. If the engine lugs or, the vehicle wants to move, you have not successfully achieved neutral in the transfer case. IF the engine does not lug, and, the vehicle does not want to move, you have successfully achieved neutral.

4. This is where it get's a bit sticky. You can attempt to place the transmission in Park, with the engine running but, it's a high possibility that you will grind some gears due to "sympathetic" drag on those transmission parts. That is, some of them might be coasting, due to your attempt to put the vehicle in gear, for your neutral check.

5. So, a safe and, guaranteed way of placing the transmission in park is, shut off the engine with the trans in neutral. Then, with the engine off, now place the trans in PARK. It always works that way for us, in over 30 years of towing Jeeps, all models of them.

Now, if your XJ is one that has a steering lock, then you'll have to turn the key at least one click forward, to release that steering wheel so it will turn freely, when the XJ is being towed. But, not being familiar with those, make sure that, when you turn that key the one click, that nothing energizes in the ignition system, dash etc. If it does, you'll have to cope with that. If no energizing is seen, then you're most likely good to go and, at the end of a days towing, you won't have a dead battery in the XJ.

6. Once all the procedures are done, setup your tow bar, hook up the safety cables, attach any auxiliary brakes you may, (or may not) be using, plug in the pig tail for lighting and, you're off to the races.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote