RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by opbart1 View Post
Wired as show in installation instructions, as you show in photo. Only reason I thought to check is battery does not fire up the BreakBuddy either! Could be alternator does not charge the battery as much as it should? At least have the EPS functioning while towing this way.

There's a fuse or a circuit breaker in that box which provides power to that terminal. If terminal is dead and all fuses circ. breakers are good there's something wrong internally in that box. Ask dealer service to check any other Cherokee and see that terminal will be hot with IGN off.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #212

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Wired as show in installation instructions, as you show in photo. Only reason I thought to check is battery does not fire up the BreakBuddy either! Could be alternator does not charge the battery as much as it should? At least have the EPS functioning while towing this way.
I'm starting to think you have a battery issue, as I did.

When I first starting towing my 2014 Cherokee the "Death Wobble", or whatever you want to call it, wasn't a known, or at least frequently published issue. I was towing my Cherokee and never experienced the DW (I'm getting tired of typing it out). As soon as DW became a big issue on the forums I had the tow harness installed, which didn't go smoothly as it took the dealer a few tries, but this was in the beginning and they just weren't familiar with the process.

However prior to having the tow harness installed the problem I ran into was if I towed the Cherokee for two days without starting it, the battery was dead. Without the tow harness installed this shouldn't happen as there was no draw on the battery.

After three visits to the dealer one of the techs put his thinking cap on and load tested the battery (at this time the Cherokee was only about 3 months old). Sure enough he found one dead cell and replaced the battery. When I spoke to the tech he told me under daily driving conditions with the vehicle parked in the garage overnight, I would probably never know anything was amiss. However towing it behind a motorhome, using the the turn signals, brake and tail lights, that would be enough to bring the battery down in a couple of days.

Bottom line, I would suggest to have your dealer load test your battery.

BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:29 AM   #213

@opbart1 I think your issue is different than that of BobGed. His battery was going completely dead upon towing even before the tow harness.

If I understand you correctly there's no power to the EPS fuse, and (also no power for your brakebuddy). However I do not recall you mentioning anything about failures to stert the Jeep or even hard starts. If you check the power at the terminal indicated in the picture posted earlier you should be getting 12Volts. If you do not and get 12Volts at your (+) battery terminal the problem lies somewhere between.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:09 AM   #214

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeep wants you to pay for a flat tow harness to fix the wobble

Thanks for the inputs, replaced battery about 6 months ago and it had no effect on Brake Buddy starting up, It didn't. I really scratch my head over that as I have a direct connect cig plug wired in so took anything else out of the picture. Thinking I need to get charging system checked, may not be charging to the level it should. The dash info display shows 14.1 volt when charging which should be good but will place meter on battery terminals to confirm. If charging properly still could be a poor battery. There has been power to the EPS fuse and also the BB but seems to me just "not enough" power. The BB would only fire up off the chassis battery when I started the Jeep, seemed to operate OK after initial start but went to extra battery to give myself piece of mind.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:47 AM   #215

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs, replaced battery about 6 months ago and it had no effect on Brake Buddy starting up, It didn't. I really scratch my head over that as I have a direct connect cig plug wired in so took anything else out of the picture. Thinking I need to get charging system checked, may not be charging to the level it should. The dash info display shows 14.1 volt when charging which should be good but will place meter on battery terminals to confirm. If charging properly still could be a poor battery. There has been power to the EPS fuse and also the BB but seems to me just "not enough" power. The BB would only fire up off the chassis battery when I started the Jeep, seemed to operate OK after initial start but went to extra battery to give myself piece of mind.
The EPS Fuse, The terminal to which it is connected and the (+) terminal of the battery should show about 14vDC when engine is running.

Those same three points should all show about 12vDC when engine is off. It's hard to do a remote diagnosis here but knowing those voltages will point to the next step.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #216

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeep wants you to pay for a flat tow harness to fix the wobble

Have 14.0 v when running, settles to 12.0 v when off, but this concerns me as my understanding the battery should really be at 12.6 min v at full charge so plan to get battery checked.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #217

Quote:
Have 14.0 v when running, settles to 12.0 v when off, but this concerns me as my understanding the battery should really be at 12.6 min v at full charge so plan to get battery checked.
Right at the battery it should measure 12.65 volts between the (+) and (-) terminals at full charge... with no parasitic loads drawing any current. If you measure from the (+) to chassis ground or from the fuse of EPS harness to ground it will be a bit lower... haven't measured mine that precisely. (Make sure you measure using an accurate digital meter here.)

Does the EPS fuse show 12volts when you have activated the system for towing?... (eg EPS fuse in and EPS-Can BUS disconnect switch flipped inside)
Old 06-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #218

Update: here we are in June 2018 and my new 2019 Trailhawk still needed the funky switch and fuse installed. Based on this thread I talked the dealer into installing it for free.

BTW the 2019 marketing material still says flat towable and you don’t get the manual till after the purchase. Plus salespeople clueless.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Update: here we are in June 2018 and my new 2019 Trailhawk still needed the funky switch and fuse installed. Based on this thread I talked the dealer into installing it for free.

BTW the 2019 marketing material still says flat towable and you don’t get the manual till after the purchase. Plus salespeople clueless.
Since the above post I have determined that the 2019 Cherokees do not require the flat tow wiring kit. So I won’t be using mine.

The online Owners Manual and Users Guide (the manual in the glove compartment) have been revised to delete the requirement for the flat tow wiring and charging the battery while towing. The paper Users Guide that came with my Trailhawk and the uConnect data in the vehicle still have the old table requiring the kit and battery charging.

Jeep won’t provide an explanation of the changes made. But my inquiries lead me to believe they made mechanical changes to the steering system; e.g. bushings, dampers, and sway control linkage, to eliminate the wobble. Thus you tow with the ignition turned off.

My Trailhawk has a direct battery powered outlet in the console I can use to power my brake buddy with the ignition off. My brake buddy uses very little power because of where and how I drive.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Since the above post I have determined that the 2019 Cherokees do not require the flat tow wiring kit. So I won’t be using mine.

The online Owners Manual and Users Guide (the manual in the glove compartment) have been revised to delete the requirement for the flat tow wiring and charging the battery while towing. The paper Users Guide that came with my Trailhawk and the uConnect data in the vehicle still have the old table requiring the kit and battery charging.

Jeep won’t provide an explanation of the changes made. But my inquiries lead me to believe they made mechanical changes to the steering system; e.g. bushings, dampers, and sway control linkage, to eliminate the wobble. Thus you tow with the ignition turned off.

My Trailhawk has a direct battery powered outlet in the console I can use to power my brake buddy with the ignition off. My brake buddy uses very little power because of where and how I drive.
The question about EPA and wobble has been raised, on another thread, back last June, (see: https://jeepgarage.org/f216/2019-che...post2020593890), however no answer there either.

Lots of info about the front end refresh, the turbo engine and Uconnect, but not a peep about EPS. May be I will get an answer now.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #221

We just bought a 2016 trailhawk and now learned of the possible "wobble" problem. We are heading out on our first TOAD trip in 3 days....... I will call a dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Does anyone have experience towing the 2016 trailhawk??
scholl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #222

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholl2 View Post
We just bought a 2016 trailhawk and now learned of the possible "wobble" problem. We are heading out on our first TOAD trip in 3 days....... I will call a dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Does anyone have experience towing the 2016 trailhawk??
You don't state what you're specifically looking for, but if you haven't already done so, you can read through this thread for some information.

You can also do a search for towing a 2014 to 2018 Jeep Cherokee (the procedure is the same for all KLs), and I'm sure you will find what you're looking for.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #223

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Most dealers don't know too much about this problem.
I had the wobble one time before I installed the kit.

To my surprise, you must come to a complete stop, and then start driving again when the wobble starts. I would have thought that getting to 5 or 10 MPH would stop the wobble...but not the case for me.

For me it happened on a bumpy curve at about 55 MPH. This was on a road that I had driven several times before without a problem.

I don't think it is too big of a deal to take one trip since there is a good chance you won't have a problem....but if you do, you now know what to do.

Regards,
Dan
Old 07-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #224

Quote:
A bit late to get the wobble-fix-kit if you're planning a trip, but you could call your dealer and ask.

There is a possibility you will encounter the infamous wobble and it would be a good idea to read about others' experiences here so you know what you might be into. (there are those who have tried other 'fixes' from bungee cords to tow hitch tighteners; the latter may stop shaking in the 2" receiver but the wobble is in the steering system of the Cherokee).

Good luck and safe travels.

Tags
tow