Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The 2014 and 2015 owners manuals have the same disclaimer in the same section of the owners manual. Jeep may have changed the online owners manuals, but I highly doubt it. The online manual for our Wrangler is identical to the one in our glove box
Jeep did in fact change the Owner's Manual for the Cherokee numerous times since the vehicle's inception.

The first pic are the abbreviated towing instructions in the sixth edition from Feb 2015. You'll notice there's no mention of a MOPAR flat tow wiring kit.

The second pic are the abbreviated towing instructions in the sixth edition REV 3 from Mar 2016. This one now shows the requirement of the MOPAR flat tow wiring kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherokee Manual 6th edition.JPG
Views:	1155
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	129312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherokee Manual 6th edition Rev 3.JPG
Views:	973
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	129316  

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
BTW, I meant to ask is that

five one four S

or five eye four S

Don
It is Five Eye Four S

Here is a link to the service bulletion PDF JEEP TSB

This is only for the Cherokees, Grand Cherokees are not involved....(do they have Electric PS??).

Dan
Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
It is Five Eye Four S

This is only for the Cherokees, Grand Cherokees are not involved....(do they have Electric PS??).

Dan
I plan to ask my dealer to see if this would be no cost to me.

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
It is Five Eye Four S

Dan
Dan,

The link you posted is for the original TSB dated 2/24/16, which you'll notice on page two states it is reimbursable under warranty. Also the part number is 68321424AA.

I'm attaching the latest TSB dated 4/26/16, which doesn't say anything about warranty coverage. Also new part number is 68321424AB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KL_08_029_16a.pdf (32.5 KB, 599 views)
Old 06-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #33

Just remember, Jeep is now spelled Fix It Again Tony
Old 06-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Dan,

The link you posted is for the original TSB dated 2/24/16, which you'll notice on page two states it is reimbursable under warranty. Also the part number is 68321424AA.

I'm attaching the latest TSB dated 4/26/16, which doesn't say anything about warranty coverage. Also new part number is 68321424AB.
Wow...those slimy ba$#@#$s......

This whole deal takes away a lot of points from their score

Dan
Old 06-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
I plan to ask my dealer to see if this would be no cost to me.

Alan & Terry
I'm about 99% certain they will tell you it's not covered under warranty, as I just tried going through that process. My dealer even contacted their district office, still no go.

However there is another avenue to take that has worked for others, and I'm working on now. If you're not already a member, join 2014 - 2016 Jeep Cherokee Forums - 2014 - 2016 Jeep Cherokee Forums Once you're logged in do a search for "Severe shaking problem towing behind motorhome" In that thread you'll see some posts made by user "JeepCares" and her name is Kori. She has been successful in contacting the dealers and getting the kit installation covered at no charge.

She will need your:
Name
VIN No.
Dealer Name and address
Name of your Service Tech and his phone number.

Good luck.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The 2014 and 2015 owners manuals have the same disclaimer in the same section of the owners manual. Jeep may have changed the online owners manuals, but I highly doubt it. The online manual for our Wrangler is identical to the one in our glove box
When we bought our 2014 in the summer of 2013 I downloaded the owners manual immediately. And, I still have it. Everything you assert is in the manual was, in fact, NOT in that manual. In May 2016 we received an addition to the manual and were instructed to file it with the manual. To make it clear, we had the Cherokee for over 2.5 years before we were provided with this addition.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #37

Bob, I think you may get a shock. I was informed today that the installation of the wiring kit being done tomorrow WILL be done under warranty provided my mileage (well, kilometres) do not exceed 60,000. Yesterday I provided the Service Manager with Service Bulletin 08-022-16 which states:

THIS SERVICE BULLETIN IS ALSO BEING RELEASED AS RAPID RESPONSE
TRANSMITTAL (RRT) 16-022. ALL APPLICABLE SOLD AND UN-SOLD RRT VIN's
HAVE BEEN LOADED. TO VERIFY THAT THIS RRT SERVICE ACTION IS
APPLICABLE TO THE VEHICLE, USE VIP OR PERFORM A VIN SEARCH IN
TECHCONNECT. ALL REPAIRS ARE REIMBURSABLE WITHIN THE PROVISIONS OF
WARRANTY.

SUBJECT:
Accessory Kit to Enhance Flat Tow Performance
MODELS:
2014 - 2016 (KL) Jeep Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets: NAFTA.
NOTE: This bulletin ONLY applies to vehicles built before February 16, 2016 (MDH
0216XX), equipped with 4x4 (Sales Code 5I4), with Jeep Active Drive II (Sales
Code DK4) and whose VIN appears in VIP or on the RRT VIN list.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe that their vehicle shakes or bounces while being flat towed.
DIAGNOSIS:
Only perform this repair procedure if the customer’s VIN is listed in VIP or your RRT VIN
list.
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in
TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs or
symptom conditions, other than the ones listed above are present, record the issues on the
repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 68321424AA Wiring Kit - Trailer Tow

------------
Note that they had to change the wiring kit (as has been discussed in several forums) now AB not AA.

I will report further after installation tomorrow. This will be the first installation by my dealer.

Don
Old 06-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You guys should go over to the Jeep Cherokee Forum. They have a whole section related to this issue. Apparently FMCA was instrumental in Jeep even addressing the issue. Initally, all the affected VINs were submitted by FMCA from their members who requested the fix. Every Cherokee needs it as it has to do with the electric power steering and they all have it. Some dealers are installing it free and others are not.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
You guys should go over to the Jeep Cherokee Forum. They have a whole section related to this issue. Apparently FMCA was instrumental in Jeep even addressing the issue. Initally, all the affected VINs were submitted by FMCA from their members who requested the fix. Every Cherokee needs it as it has to do with the electric power steering and they all have it. Some dealers are installing it free and others are not.
It took FCA ages to get off its butt even after FMCA provided them with video and a list of owners experiencing the problem - and that was many months after the problems surfaced and were reported to FCA (and ignored). I've been monitoring this issue on the FMCA site, Cherokee Forum, Jeep Garage and RV.net as well as here.

What I've observed is that FCA learned nothing from the GM Cruz episode. The D3 still have not woken up to the fact that the internet is a great equalizer and they should, when these issues blow up, start monitoring the forums. They seem to think we are still mushrooms in the dark and they can feed us manure. That era is now long gone as the internet turned on the lights.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #40

Wiring kit installed today (AT NO CHARGE). Installation looks very clean and it won't add much additional work. Only PITA is that they recommend adding a power line to the battery if you plan to tow for more than 3 hours.

Now I can start thinking about what power supply system to buy.

Don
Old 06-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
I had the AB kit installed at a dealership in Denver about a month ago...they did a great job. After about 30 minutes on the phone with Jeep Customer Service and Jeep Wave, they covered the bill...about $375. A few days later I installed the RVi BRAKE Towed Battery Charger...very easy install...parts were about $55. So now I flip a red switch inside the Jeep and open the hood to insert a 10 amp fuse...adds about 2 minutes to the process...not a big deal to me. All in all, we love the Cherokee Trailhawk and now have an assurance we may never suffer the "death wobble".
jimfh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
One more thing, be sure you allow the time required for your dash cluster to go fully to sleep...otherwise you will trip a service code! Easily cleared with an OBD reader.
jimfh2o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow