Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfh2o View Post
One more thing, be sure you allow the time required for your dash cluster to go fully to sleep...otherwise you will trip a service code! Easily cleared with an OBD reader.
I assume you got the laminated card with the instructions for start up on one side and shut down on the other. They make it very clear that the bus should go to sleep before you throw the switch and the put in the fuse.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 06:12 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, they did give me the instruction card.
jimfh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:34 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine is ok.

Built may 15th 2016
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
Built may 15th 2016
What does that mean...the factory installed the kit?
Do you have any switch to activate when towing?

I am curious if they came up with a better fix for the production cars.

Regards,

Dan
Old 06-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is the date they fixed it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tsb jeep wobble.pdf (34.8 KB, 386 views)
Old 06-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I think Dan's question, and one that I'm curious about as well, is whether FCA made a design change for Cherokees built after the middle of February.

When you get ready to tow do you have to install a fuse under the hood, and flip a switch in the center console?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Transfer case in N Trans in Park. There is no key on ours.
So this procedure has to be done with the engine on.
The fix was done sometime before Feb 16 th 2016.
I dont know if we are going to tow this or not as it's at least 1000 lbs
more than the Forester. But it will tow fine if the time comes if we do decide.
I'm going to guess here a think they loosened the steering a bit to prevent
binding in the electric steering linkage.
They put in all these led's to cut down on power consumption and then add
electric power steering....Not a big deal going straight down the road but twisty trails
will make it hot as it's getting a workout steering the wheels back and forth.
This Trailhawk we bought has so much STUFF on it that it's going to take a long time to learn about all the things it does.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:03 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Transfer case in N Trans in Park. There is no key on ours.
So this procedure has to be done with the engine on.
The fix was done sometime before Feb 16 th 2016.
I dont know if we are going to tow this or not as it's at least 1000 lbs
more than the Forester. But it will tow fine if the time comes if we do decide.
I'm going to guess here a think they loosened the steering a bit to prevent
binding in the electric steering linkage.
They put in all these led's to cut down on power consumption and then add
electric power steering....Not a big deal going straight down the road but twisty trails
will make it hot as it's getting a workout steering the wheels back and forth.
This Trailhawk we bought has so much STUFF on it that it's going to take a long time to learn about all the things it does.

Well you Signature states different

I have the Trailhawk and if you READ the instructions correctly. It states to NOT start the engine. Yes I don't have a key either(actually I do, but it is pushbutton start) Just don't put your foot on the brake and push the button as if to start, then but foot on brake and shift to neutral.
I have not had the issue of the Death Wobble and have towed Coast to Coast and back. I don't have this FIX (OK maybe I do, the fix is an Addendum to the Owners Manual).
Pis poor design, there should be a recall for those of us that bought the car for the purpose of towing due to FCA's claims that it is Flat Towable for Recreational Towing. Of course that was before they sent out the little yellow car that states you need to purchase something else to make it so.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:38 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
The revised TSB is 08-029-16 REV. A. They entitle it "Accessory Kit to Enhance Flat Tow Performance" however the recent (2016) versions of all years' owner's manuals clearly state that the kit must be in place to flat-tow.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/Misc/Cheroke...08_029_16a.pdf
Old 06-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #52

My kit was installed for free on my TrailHawk (2015). I towed using the console switch and hood fuse for 2000 miles in early June without issue. I run a ReadyBrake inline charger and never had any battery issues. It's not really any big deal once you've got the darn thing installed and towed once.

If you come over to Jeep Cherokee Club forums, theres a couple threads about this. There is also a JeepCares (Kori) person who watches the forum to help KL owners out. She has helped several other KL owners get this TSB fix installed at no cost as it should be.

I'd recommend getting over there to get your hook up.
jpoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 AM   #53

Jeep Death Wobble

We experienced the Death Wobble at least 10 times on our 2015 Georgetown while pulling our 2014 Jeep Latitude. We asked what caused it each time we went into a Camper World but no one was aware of what we were talking about. Finally, my spouse found an article in the July 2016 Motorhome issue called "Jeep Cherokee Wobble". It stated that to fix the problem we were to have a MOPAR wiring harness (part no. 68321424AB) installed. This also included a toggle switch mounted in the console between the seats and a 10 AMP fuse under the hood. No one was aware of this fix at the dealership so we ended up contacting Ramon Harris, FCA Customer Service 1-844-533-7928, who assisted to make sure the fix was installed on our Jeep. Ramon is super great and has assisted us every inch of the way to resolve this problem. To date everything has been completed and our first test drive went really well. Our longer trip is coming up in September so that will be the real test.
rojoco10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Looks like Jeep is backpedaling on this.

A few months ago, I had them look up the VIN for my Trailhawk, and they said it was NOT on the list for needing the Flat Tow wiring harness fix.

Today I received a update card in the mail which was to be inserted in the manual. this is a CYA fix, and they are saying EVERY Cherokee needs this now.
AND....get this, they are wanting the customer to purchase it. ($128 for a relay, switch and some wire with plugs).

I have not had the wobble problem while towing, and only a few Trailhawks have reported it....mainly the 4x4 Cherokees have had the problem.
What ticks me off is that they want the customer to pay, and in addition, it puts a current drain on the battery because it energizes the PS electronics and motor.

This is not the vehicle that was advertised as "Flat Tow-able"

Here are the new instructions:
Before towing, See your authorized dealer for the Mopar flat
tow wiring kit
• It is recommended to charge the battery of the towed vehicle
during recreational towing
• Transmission in PARK
• Power transfer unit in NEUTRAL (N)
• Tow in forward direction

Regards,

Dan
Hi. I just purchased a 2016 Cherokee Trail Hawk and the sales manager told me that a recall had just come in re flat towing and that a modification has to be done to stop the wobbling. It apparently takes 2 hours. Mine was done before I left the lot. (Free)
A. K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This raises a interesting question.

How can there be a recall on a car that is actually sitting on the dealers lot and is for sale?

I am waiting to see when this fix actually becomes part of the factory build....and if they will actually come up with a more elegant fix.

Selling a new car, and saying it is towable, BUT...then requiring a fuse install under the hood is MICKEY MOUSE...

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
This raises a interesting question.

How can there be a recall on a car that is actually sitting on the dealers lot and is for sale?

I am waiting to see when this fix actually becomes part of the factory build....and if they will actually come up with a more elegant fix.

Selling a new car, and saying it is towable, BUT...then requiring a fuse install under the hood is MICKEY MOUSE...

Regards,

Dan
FCA doesn't call it a 'recall' they use a term something like 'flat-tow-enhancement kit'. However they require it to be used during flat towing.

On one of Cherokee forums, there's a person to contact at FCA (Corrie, I think) who can make it happen. Most owners have responded that they can get it done free of charge.

Tags
tow