Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 01:05 AM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Towing four down is beyond what Jeep designed the stock vehicle to do. So they would have a right to charge for the modifications needed, just like they do for the wiring, brake system and tow brackets.
This is NOT true, FCA/Jeep advertise that the Cherokee "
JEEP® ACTIVE DRIVE II 4x4 SYSTEM

The Jeep® Active Drive II 4x4 system includes all the features of the Jeep Active Drive I 4x4 system and adds a low range for added capability. The 4WD Low mode is great for extra-low-speed traction and has a neutral mode for flat towing behind an RV. A remarkable 56:1 crawl ratio allows a more controlled throttle response at lower speeds. The Selec-Terrain® traction management system includes: Auto, Snow, Sport and Sand/Mud modes for added all-weather capability"

Right from their web site. So NO they don't have the right to charge for something they say it's designed for.
If they say that Active drive II can be made Flat Towable, then that is different.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 01:52 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh yeah, have towed mine across country without the Flat Tow harness and have had no issues at all. I now have the Required Flat Tow harness and got it installed free. I personally think that the real issue is that the tow setup on the affected Cherokees is not correct.
First they need to ensure they are at the correct height, basically not taking weight off or putting weight on the front end of the Toad. You also need to install the Road Master Quiet Hitch. This eliminates any freeplay between the receiver and the towbar. This is really important if you are using a drop hitch, you may need 2 of them, one for the drop and one for the towbar. I had chucking before I installed mine and this could also be the problem with the Cherokee Wobble. Once the hitch starts moving back and forth and the TOAD starts moving backing and forth you won't be able to stop it until you come to a complete stop. With a good stiff hitch setup the Toad cannot even start sway back and forth chasing the hitch.
It works for me and I've had no issues and they only cost about $25 bucks.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #73
Lyn

Weight of Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
According to Google the base tare weight of the 2016 Cherokee TH is 4,028 lbs.
That is encouraging - only weight I could find was for a 2014 model at 4382 lbs. Dealer quoted weight of 3980 but that was for a middle of the road model without the big tires, etc. that are on the Trail Hawk. Not sure I believe 4028 lbs. either - seems conservative.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
That is encouraging - only weight I could find was for a 2014 model at 4382 lbs. Dealer quoted weight of 3980 but that was for a middle of the road model without the big tires, etc. that are on the Trail Hawk. Not sure I believe 4028 lbs. either - seems conservative.
Jeep's website lists 4028# as the Base Curb Weight and a GVWR of 5500# for the Trailhawk. The curb weight includes fuel oil, coolant, but not cargo or passengers. Consider that additional options you have will add to that number, especially if you have the v6 engine. Other options which are likely heavier would be full size spare in trailer-toe group, sunroof, and perhaps other things. My guess would be 4200-4400#; that's what I think my '15 TH weighs.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:19 AM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
Jeep's website lists 4028# as the Base Curb Weight and a GVWR of 5500# for the Trailhawk. The curb weight includes fuel oil, coolant, but not cargo or passengers. Consider that additional options you have will add to that number, especially if you have the v6 engine. Other options which are likely heavier would be full size spare in trailer-toe group, sunroof, and perhaps other things. My guess would be 4200-4400#; that's what I think my '15 TH weighs.
That's about right, I think I weighed mine at 4400lbs full of fuel. Don't worry it tows well if your setup is correct. I even towed mine for part of a day without the Aux brake hooked up and could not tell the difference.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #76

Post February 2016 Jeep Cherokees

Hi Folks,
Based on the bulletin from Jeep the wiring harness only applies to Jeeps built before February 16, 2016. I just purchased a 2016 Trailhawk for flat towing but it was built in June 2016. I do however have the insert in my manual stating about the Mopar Flat towing kit. I've been tracking this issue and am going on a trip in a month of about 1500 miles. I don't want to have to get the kit if I don't have to and deal with the extra steps and pain. I'm in the process of modifying the TH with blue ox base plates and battery trickle charger. Am I good to go? Are all post 2/16/16 Cherokees fixed?

Thanks,
Jason
stoyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #77

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoyles View Post
Hi Folks,
Based on the bulletin from Jeep the wiring harness only applies to Jeeps built before February 16, 2016. I just purchased a 2016 Trailhawk for flat towing but it was built in June 2016. I do however have the insert in my manual stating about the Mopar Flat towing kit. I've been tracking this issue and am going on a trip in a month of about 1500 miles. I don't want to have to get the kit if I don't have to and deal with the extra steps and pain. I'm in the process of modifying the TH with blue ox base plates and battery trickle charger. Am I good to go? Are all post 2/16/16 Cherokees fixed?

Thanks,
Jason
This is the first I've heard about the wiring kit not being required on builds after 2/26/16. Do you by chance have a link to the bulletin you're referring to?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #78

The 2017 manual makes it clear that wiring harness is needed and that power should be run to the battery.

I doubt very much if the problem has been resolved in some other manner.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #79

Here's the bulletin. On the active FMCA board is where I received this. I've gone to my Jeep dealer here in West Miami with the attached bulletin and they were useless and unaware. They searched my VIN which did not show I needed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	145555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	145556  

Old 11-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #80

Quote:
Here's the bulletin. On the active FMCA board is where I received this. I've gone to my Jeep dealer here in West Miami with the attached bulletin and they were useless and unaware. They searched my VIN which did not show I needed it.
The part referenced is the Mopar wiring kit.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:38 PM   #81

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Attached is the latest bulletin 08_029_016a dated 4/26/16 which applies to all KLs equipped with 4x4 (Sales Code 5I4) and with Jeep Active Drive II (Sales Code DK4).

It does state vehicles from 2014 to 2016, but from what I have heard there were no changes to the electronic steering for the 2017s, so I would think it would apply to those KLs as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KL_08_029_16a.pdf (32.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-28-2016, 10:51 PM   #82

Thanks Bob. So many different threads. On the FMCA site a gentleman with a 2017 with a build in Oct 2016 said his dealer stated he did not need. Your bulletin is pretty clear. Sadly Jeep have messed this up... The Mopar kit is not pretty at all.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:06 PM   #83

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Bob. So many different threads. On the FMCA site a gentleman with a 2017 with a build in Oct 2016 said his dealer stated he did not need. Your bulletin is pretty clear. Sadly Jeep have messed this up... The Mopar kit is not pretty at all.
I just saw that post and asked him for some details. As I said I haven't heard anything about FCA making any changes, but that doesn't mean they haven't done so.

If so it will be interesting to find out what the modification was, and if our older vehicles could simarily be modified so we don't have to use this stupid wiring kit. I'm sure it wouldn't be much of a fight to get FCA to cover the cost.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:38 AM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
The "tow wiring kit" was developed as a result of an oversight regarding design of the Cherokee. Solenoids, controlled by the EPS computer do the job, but only when active with engine running. The Electronic Power Steering (EPS) system has no hydraulics (a hydraulic system would naturally damp any wobble tendency).

The software of the EPS computer contains a "wobble mitigation algorithm" which activates solenoids and other components so as to damp any wobble which may occur during "normal" driving. The purpose of the wiring kit is to activate EPS while the Cherokee is being towed, engine off, so the same damping would be in place.

I do not see any information about design changes of the '17 models which make the "wobble mitigation" unnecessary. Does the sales literature still advertise the Cherokee as towable?

Tags
tow