Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

Jeep won't shift out of neutral!

E towed our 2010 jeep liberty to Omaha, unhooked and guess what it won't shift into 2wheel so I can use it! I think I will get a fiat like Iggy has! This is really annoying! Came to Omaha a week ago and no toad lights, this time no jeep running!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have someone manually push the jeep a few feet while you are shifting out of neutral. On two of my Jeeps they would shift into lo range and I would get Jeep moving and while still moving I would shift into the hi range.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could also be a broken cable connection. Not sure about the Liberty model, but the one on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited broke under simular circumstances. Ended up leaving it connected via the tow bar and towed it back to the dealer for replacement.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Assume you are talking about the transfer from N to 2WD. Happened to me once and I made the mistake of forcing the shifter and that snapped a cable underneath. After repairing that I now am pretty gentle with it. My jeep is an automatic and I have found that if I move the auto transmission shifter between P, R, N & D several times (the order isn't important--just that you move it around a bit) that for some reason seems to shake things up so that then the transfer shifter will get it out of N and into 2WD more easily.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #5

All Jeep transfer case does this.... If it does not go into neutral, the splines need to align better. If you can not take it out of neutral, the splines are under tension and needs to be in motion to take the tension out.

The wranglers' transfer case shifter use a plastic connector to disengage/engage the transfer case... If one forces the shifter, the plastic connector will break.... this is Jeeps way of protecting the transfer case. Jeep really needs a alignment sensor for their xfer case so that people aren't guessing spline alignment.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #6

Unlike the Wrangler with a lever shifter, the Liberty has an electronic shifter for the transfer case. We tow a'12 Liberty. I have had zero problems shifting in and out of neutral in the transfer case. Make sure that you are very closely following the directions in your owners manual, including having your foot on the brake pedal and transmission in neutral. It won't shift without both of steps being taken. Keep us posted and good luck.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #7

I have towed this Jeep more than10,000 mi and not had trouble until today. It isn't even trying to shift, I think something is broke? Called a local dealer, but could not work on it util tomorrow, and that was a maybe! I was going home Sat mid day, I think I will just tow it home Sat! Thanks for the help!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Lots of Jeep issues here. Bummer guys.....
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #9

Fixed it... Towed to a repair shop and when I hooked the battery up at the shop everything worked...... I think shutting of battery was like a reset?
Old 09-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Yeah!
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #11

I think the battery cut off switch is faulty and I bought a replacement today at CW, it is a knife switch