Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #1

Jeep wrangler

I have a jeep wrangler 2007 that I want to tow. It has 2 hooks on the front attached to frame already. The manual calls them tow hooks. Are these ok to use for towing or do I still need the baseplate and tow hooks from blue ox or other? I have a 34 journey diesel pusher if that matters.

Many thanks for help.

Jeff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Those tow hooks are for you to "tow" something not for something to tow you. Have use the tow hooks on mine to pull tree roots out of a bog or bay. Next question is what kind of a Jeep Wrangler do you have ? Since you live in Florida you might not have a 4 wheel drive Jeep. If so you may have to trailer it. If you have a 4 wheel jeep, either manual or automatic, your best bet is with a tow bar Blue or equivalent and a base plate. A tow dolly is another option if you desire to have the option of towing another vehicle, if they are front wheel drive, but forget the tow bar route!!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
a tow dolly is not an option for a 4 wheel drive jeep per owners manual
base plate are an easy 2-3 hour install and hook up to the tow bar is a 5 - 10 minute operation,and dont forget supplemental braking
brianj
Old 01-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am pretty sure Wranglers are only available with four wheel drive and are very easy to tow. Check your owner's manual for instructions.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
I am pretty sure Wranglers are only available with four wheel drive and are very easy to tow. Check your owner's manual for instructions.
They are/were also available in two wheel drive, although not sure why.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
Just so everyone knows, apparently the 2012 Wrangler manual regarding towing is incorrect. Folks on the various forums, including the Wrangler forum, state that to be towed all you have to do is put the transfer case in N, the tranny in Park and take off. To be sure, I sent an email to Jeep and they have already kicked it up to someone who supposedly knows the answer because customer assistance didn't. The 2012 manual lists a LONG list of things that have to be done prior to the Wrangler being towed.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #7

Thanks for all the advise and info. I figured that those tow hooks weren't the right ones. Guess I need the base plate and hooks associated. I do have a 4 wheel drive jeep and thus ok for towing. I do live in Florida where the limit on towing without supplemental brake is 3000 lbs. Jeep weighs 3300 lbs so guess I need the brake.

Thanks again.

Jeff
Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Now I am cofused because the OP said a 2007 Jeep, and 'golden' started giving info on a 2012 jeep. There may be some differences because of the 5 yr gap.

And these companies are always making 'improvements'
Old 01-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #9

Your a little lite on the weight of your jeep. The specs on the 2007 say the lightest one weighs in at 3760lbs. And yes an aux brake is a must. Enjoy.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a wide range of weight difference in the Jeep (and many other) lines. For example, mine weighs just a few lbs under 4,300 while the one mentioned earlier by Andiamo was 3,300. Mine is probably just above the median weight for Jeeps (just a guess). I can't imagine towing without a supplemental brake system but that's the worrywort in me.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #11

I took the weight from the jeep wrangler spec sheet. That was the curb weight of the lightest wrangler. My cj7 with the big tires ,winch , full roll cage and tools with me in it comes in at 4120lbs and thats with a full fiberglass body , fenders and hood and my Commander with me it is a hefty 5135lbs with half a tank of fuel. Thats at an officail scale.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #12

I was going what I was told regarding weight. Couldn't find it in spec sheet. Really doesn't matter as I need the supplemental brake anyway.

Thx

Jeff
Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #13

I have an 06 Wrangler and went with the Demco base plate (9518045 I believe). Had to buy a 4 or 8 mm allen socket to mount it, but it took less than 15 min to do. I also went with a ready break. The cable for that took about 45 min to install. That setup worked out well last year with two longish trips - Detroit to Wi Dells down to Lake Cumberland and back, and then Detroit Denver/Lake Powell/North Rim/I 40 home trip. So, all total, maybe 6K miles with that setup.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My suggestion would be to go to remcotowing.com, input your vehicle and they will give the information needed to tow your vehicle.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote