Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
My '12 Unlimited Sport is really easy so I guess I can't be of help to you but perhaps my comments would help someone else in the future who was wondering, as did I, of the process.

I just put the tranny in N (with the engine running), shift the transfer case to N, then shift the tranny back to P, turn off the engine and take off. No mess, no fuss. Also, my odometer didn't register any miles, a bennie I hadn't expected.
I believe the engine should be off (not running) per the following instructions in the Jeep manual:

"Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission is shifted
into PARK with the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) and the engine
running. With the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) ensure that the
engine is OFF prior to shifting the transmission into PARK."
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I believe the engine should be off (not running) per the following instructions in the Jeep manual:

"Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission is shifted
into PARK with the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) and the engine
running. With the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) ensure that the

engine is OFF prior to shifting the transmission into PARK."
Check above and you will note that I said to turn it off and then take off. Unless you are referring to when I go through the process prior to hooking it up. I just got back from my Jeep dealer and he said it is BEST to have the engine running when going through the process. I asked him because I wasn't able to shift the gears without the engine running and didn't want to force the gears. So all I know is what I did, and that he said what I did is correct. So I guess I'm at a loss to explain the differences. Are we saying the same thing or something different? Could it be that there is that difference between your model year ('11) and mine ('12)?
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Dan, I thought the '11 Wranglers didn't have locking steering columns? Why are you disconnecting the battery?
I know, mine doesn't lock, but...as stated so many times on these forums, follow what your owner's manual says. My '11 owner's manual states to tow, "place ignition to ACC position and shift automatic trans into Park, manual trans into Neutral." then, "Disconnect negative battery cable". The first time I towed it I put the key in ACC and towed the next time, after realizing that there is no column lock, I towed it without the key in. Both worked fine, but now I realize I probably do not need the auto disconnect.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
I know, mine doesn't lock, but...as stated so many times on these forums, follow what your owner's manual says. My '11 owner's manual states to tow, "place ignition to ACC position and shift automatic trans into Park, manual trans into Neutral." then, "Disconnect negative battery cable". The first time I towed it I put the key in ACC and towed the next time, after realizing that there is no column lock, I towed it without the key in. Both worked fine, but now I realize I probably do not need the auto disconnect.
Yeah, unfortunately the Owners Manual has some errors, but the User Guide has different instructions. (Reminds me of our Fleetwood Manual, lol.)
Old 03-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I have read on a Jeep forum, and I believe it's in the manual, that the transmission should be in 1st gear. I don't recall the reason, but there was one, and I'm just passing the info on FWIW.

Hi Bob......I also recall reading that....and that an automatic should be in " park ". I have an automatic tranny....I just have a mental issue with leaving it in park while Im towing. I do tranny & T/case in neutral.....so far so good....... ( knock wood )
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Check above and you will note that I said to turn it off and then take off. Unless you are referring to when I go through the process prior to hooking it up. I just got back from my Jeep dealer and he said it is BEST to have the engine running when going through the process. I asked him because I wasn't able to shift the gears without the engine running and didn't want to force the gears. So all I know is what I did, and that he said what I did is correct. So I guess I'm at a loss to explain the differences. Are we saying the same thing or something different? Could it be that there is that difference between your model year ('11) and mine ('12)?
I believe we are saying something different. The instructions I quoted in my previous post do refer to the process you're going through to hook up, and were taken from the 2012 manual available here: My Jeep: Jeep Owners Service Manuals - 4x4 SUVs, Sports Utility Vehicles, Off Road , which happen to be the same for the 2011s

When I have trouble shifting the transfer case without the engine running, I start the engine, shift the auto trans from park to neutral, then back to park. I then turn the engine off and attempt to shift the transfer case to neutral. Sometimes I do have to go through the above procedure a couple of times, but that isn't happening as much now as when it was new. I think (hope) in time I won't have to do it at all.

For warranty purposes I personally don't want to take a chance of doing something different than what's in the manual, regardless of what a dealer might say. I also realize the manual says to disconnect the negative battery cable, which I don't do, but I don't see that as a major warranty issue compared to transmission or drive train issues.

Of course YMMV, and it's possible that it doesn't really make any difference. Safe travels
Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
don-deb I know it sounds wrong to have the transmission in park but with the transfer case in neutral you have essentially disconnected the drive shaft. With the tranny in neutral you will have some drag on the gears and they will be spinning with no lubrication, that is the reason for placing the tranny in park.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
BobGed,

Yep, we were talking about a different process. As you stated, the manual - how can I say this? - sucks as far as directions in this regard are concerned. The bit with the disconnect of the cable is completely irrelevant for the '12 models as is a good bit of the rest of the LONG set of steps to take. The only thing that concerns me about what you said is the engine on or off part so I will have to try your method to see if that works. If it does - and it never has thus far - I may consider using it after again checking with my service man.

I went to see him this morning to ask if the clicking sound I hear when shifting the transfer case was normal and he said oh yeah, it talks at you quite a bit. Does yours do the same?

Denny
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
don-deb I know it sounds wrong to have the transmission in park but with the transfer case in neutral you have essentially disconnected the drive shaft. With the tranny in neutral you will have some drag on the gears and they will be spinning with no lubrication, that is the reason for placing the tranny in park.

I was under the assumption that if the transfer case was in neutral ....the tranny was NOT spinning.....that the connection between the two.... was in neutral. I can see where you can damage the tranny.... if it is spinning without lubrication.....now I wonder.....maybe I have just been lucky.
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
it is disconnected and not spinning at full speed but there is some drag between the shaft and tranny causing some spinning of the gears inside the tranny
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I went to see him this morning to ask if the clicking sound I hear when shifting the transfer case was normal and he said oh yeah, it talks at you quite a bit. Does yours do the same?

Denny
I don't know that I would describe it as a clicking sound, but I think your serviceman is correct on this one as it definitely does make a noise.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #26

this is straight out of my 2006 Jeep Manual (auto trans)

CAUTION!
It is necessary to follow these steps to be certain that
the transfer case is fully in N (Neutral) before
recreational towing to prevent damage to internal
parts.

1. Depress brake pedal.
2. Shift automatic transmission into N (Neutral) or depress clutch pedal on manual transmission.
3. Shift transfer case lever into N (Neutral).
4. Start engine.
5. Shift automatic transmission into D (Drive) or manual transmission into gear.
6. Release brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
7. Shut the engine off and place the ignition key into the unlocked OFF position.
8. Shift automatic transmission into P (Park).
9. Apply parking brake.
10. Attach vehicle to the tow vehicle with tow bar.
11. Release parking brake.

CAUTION!
Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission
is shifted into P (Park) with the transfer case
in N (Neutral) and the engine running. With the
transfer case in N (Neutral) ensure that the engine is
off prior to shifting the transmission into P (Park)
(refer to steps 7 – 8 above).

I have 2 keys. I leave one in the ignition to unlock the steering and I lock it in. I've never had a problem with the battery on the jeep going dead.

I have a copy of the above instructions in the RV and another copy in the Jeep and I make sure I follow it every time. So far everything has been fine.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My main complaint against Jeep's instructions is that step #10 should be #1. My Jeep is never going to be disconnected from my coach while the transfer case is in neutral, and only being held in place by the parking brake.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No one has mentioned pulling the IOD fuse under the hood. My 07 steering does lock so I do have to leave the key on ACC when towing. The IOD fuse stops battery drain. Obviously, this is not needed on 08 and later JK's.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote