Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #43
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop391 View Post
I pull my wrangler with t/case in neutral and trans in neutral. As others, i have a mental issue with one in neutral and other in PARK. This does not seem right. Guess i don,t understand the workings of this mechanism. I have had no trouble, yet.
I think the "operative" word in your post is the last one........YET.
When the trans is in neutral and the Jeep is being flat towed the transmission gears can turn. But, with the engine off there is no lubrication for those gears. And that's why the Jeep instructions are to have the transmission in Park if an automatic transmission.
Hope this helps you understand the relationship between the transfer and the transmission while flat towing.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
On a similar topic. I have an 09 Wrangler, manufacturer says to disconnect neg of battery. Knave a breaking buddy to apply the beaks in the Jeep but needs DC power.

Has anyone ever run a separate DC cable directly to the battery to power an assist breaking device for a Wrangler?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #45

About to take another trip to races. After reading Jeep manual and these informative posts, changing my mental issues as we speak. T/case in neutral and trans in park . "Yet" being key word affects pocketbook. Thanks to ya'll's help
Old 03-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #46

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkersRanch View Post
I just took 20 minutes and disabled the steering lock on my 01 wrangler. No key needed anymore.
01 is nothing like the current version JK. I wonder how hard that may be to do on my 07?
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #47

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Glen View Post
On a similar topic. I have an 09 Wrangler, manufacturer says to disconnect neg of battery. Knave a breaking buddy to apply the beaks in the Jeep but needs DC power.

Has anyone ever run a separate DC cable directly to the battery to power an assist breaking device for a Wrangler?
You do not need to remove the battery cable. If anything, pull the IOD fuse up before you tow it. You'll still have DC for the brake buddy
Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, this post has been helpful.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #49
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don't want to pull the fuse each time. This Co makes a switch for that. I bought one a few years ago. http://www.rv-partsplus.com/home/accessories/

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
If you don't want to pull the fuse each time. This Co makes a switch for that. I bought one a few years ago. RV parts, accessories and supplies, rv, rv accessories
Good product. At least the IOD fuse doesn't actually have to come out. When you pull it up, it has a stop on it that allows it just to sit there in it's place but with no connection.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #51

Getting ready to have 09 jeep "x" wired up for four down towing. Steering locks on this model. manuel states only to place transfer in "N" and trans in "n". Think it will work?. Camping world doing the install
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief101 View Post
Getting ready to have 09 jeep "x" wired up for four down towing. Steering locks on this model. manuel states only to place transfer in "N" and trans in "n". Think it will work?. Camping world doing the install
Steering should not be a locking variety in the 09. It went away sometime in the 08 model year. With the engine off and key out, turn the wheel all the way in both directions. You'll see.
Tranny in Park if automatic. Transfer case in Neutral.
I hope you have deep pockets if CW is doing the work. They quoted me close to 4k. I did it all on my own for under 1400.00
Old 03-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Look again. I'm quite sure your manual does NOT say to put the transmission in Neutral. It should be Park on an automatic and top gear on a manual.

joe
Old 03-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #54

Rick,
You are correct. The steering does not lock. Thanks. As to CW installing, I am not sure that I am cabable of hooking up all components, such as breakaway, power for brake lights, etc.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #55
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Glen View Post

Another option...

I wired one of the 12v outlets into the tow harness. One of the 7 pin posts is 'hot', I used it and the ground, also from the harness. My brake was always powered from the motor home.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #56

Quote:
Rick,
You are correct. The steering does not lock. Thanks. As to CW installing, I am not sure that I am cabable of hooking up all components, such as breakaway, power for brake lights, etc.
Just one note about CW doing the install. I had them do the baseplate install on my 08 Wrangler. Never mentioned during the phone calls to set this up was the $50.00 charge for removing the tow hooks (if equipped). $50.00 for 5 minutes work to remove 4 bolts is a TAD excessive. You should be able to do it yourself.

FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote