Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #1

jeep wrangler

Just bought a 07 jeep wrangler and have towed before but this manual says to disconnect the neg side of the battery? First why? Second really? LOL!!! does it need to be disconnected? I have never done it before on any other jeep. Thank for your info. Marty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounder ball View Post
Just bought a 07 jeep wrangler and have towed before but this manual says to disconnect the neg side of the battery? First why? Second really? LOL!!! does it need to be disconnected? I have never done it before on any other jeep. Thank for your info. Marty
When you put your ignition key in ACC position to unlock your steering wheel it could put some draw on the battery.

BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
As i have stated in the another thread on this site, There is a kep position in between off (wheel locked) and ignition on.
In this position the wheel is un locked and all electrics are OFF.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have an '07 Wrangler. The battery would go dead after an 8 hour day on the road. I installed a simple blade switch on the negative battery terminal (available in most RV supply stores). Takes about 2 seconds to flip the switch.

I'm not sure about Mekanic's post, obviously that would have been simpler. You might try calling Jeep (I wouldn't trust your dealer to know) to see if they can shed any more light on Mekanic's suggestion.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have towed my 2007 for hundred of miles. No key position i ever found stopped the battery dying after 2 days of towing. I pull the IOD fuse (it's a quick disconnect fuse that stays in it's little holder when pulled) and this prevents complete discharge.

If you are only towing up to 4 hours per day, i wouldn't disconnect anything.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have an '11 Wrangler Unltd and instead of disconnecting the battery manually I had an automatic disconnect installed. It also allows a trickle of electric to keep the computer and radio memory intact. Not inexpensive though.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
I have an '11 Wrangler Unltd and instead of disconnecting the battery manually I had an automatic disconnect installed. It also allows a trickle of electric to keep the computer and radio memory intact. Not inexpensive though.
Dan, I thought the '11 Wranglers didn't have locking steering columns? Why are you disconnecting the battery?

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounder ball View Post
Chrysler changed the ignition module in '07 so that when the key was in the ACC position to unlock the steering wheel, all the vehicle systems powered up thus draining the battery on long runs. Earlier models simply had an unlock position, with no power being on.

The ignition module was changed again a couple of model years later (I think 2010), eliminating the steering wheel lock so it's no longer necessary to have a key in the ignition when towing and there's no need for battery disconnects as there is no longer a power drain.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95f5334j View Post
I think it was with the 2010 model year, the steering wheel lock was eliminated so no key is required for towing and there's no power drain so battery disconnects are no longer needed.
It actually started with the 2009's, and I've heard that some 2008's do not have the steering wheel lock.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have an 09. So I will check to see about the steering column. But if you disconnect the neg side of the battery how do I power the breaking device? I would need a separate DC power feed
Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
if your Wrangler doesn't have the steering wheel lock, (later build 08's on up) there's no need to have a battery disconnect...towed mine over 6K miles the last two years & have never had a problem with battery drain...
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
I have an 02 Jeep Wrangler.......I disconnect the positive side of the battery using a battery disconnect solenoid.....when towing. The 02's have a steering wheel lock and need the ignition switch in the "on" position....and also has a digital odometer thats on when the key is on. My routine is.....ignition on....battery disconnected.....transfer case in neutral....tranny in neutral.....brake buddy in place.....etc. So far we towed over 2K miles with no problems.
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by don-deb View Post
My routine is.....ignition on....battery disconnected.....transfer case in neutral....tranny in neutral.....brake buddy in place.....etc. So far we towed over 2K miles with no problems.
I have read on a Jeep forum, and I believe it's in the manual, that the transmission should be in 1st gear. I don't recall the reason, but there was one, and I'm just passing the info on FWIW.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My '12 Unlimited Sport is really easy so I guess I can't be of help to you but perhaps my comments would help someone else in the future who was wondering, as did I, of the process.

I just put the tranny in N (with the engine running), shift the transfer case to N, then shift the tranny back to P, turn off the engine and take off. No mess, no fuss. Also, my odometer didn't register any miles, a bennie I hadn't expected.

golden is offline   Reply With Quote