Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Jeep Wrangler

Well, I just purchased a new Wrangler 2 door. What do I need now to hook it up to my 2006 Allegro Bay 34XB?

What is a good towbar to purchase? I have seen some that are advertised at twice the price of others.

Do I need some type of brakes assist system?

Thanks, Leo

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Hello, fellow Wrangler owner!

Lot of options and opinions can be found if you search on "wrangler" and "brake assist".

Dave

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You'll need the tow bar, a base plate for the Jeep (it's what the tow bar attaches to) and some sort of auxiliary brake set up. And don't forget a harness to operate the brake, tail and turn lamps.

There are multiple types and brands of each of these and if you query 10 members you'll get 10 different opinions as to the best combination.

For what it's worth, we've used a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate on each of our last two toads, both Jeep Wranglers. We now have an Air Force One brake system, which I really like, but you'll need something different for a gas powered (no compressed air system) coach. I'd recommend you look at something that requires nothing other than plugging in the wire harness between the motorhome and the Jeep. While the systems that use a "box" that sits between the driver's seat and the pedals will work just fine, I find them a pain to deal with and have to find a place to store when not in use. There are, in my opinion, much more user friendly options for about the same money as you'd spend on the "box".

The Jeep tail lamp housings are plenty big for installing a separate set of bulb sockets and there are kits sold to do just that. That keeps the electrical system as a road vehicle vs a toad completely separate. You can also buy a kit that will plug into your Jeep wiring harness that will include the diodes required for the system to work properly (operate just the tail lamps and not all the marker, turn signal and parking lamps). I just liked the idea of separate systems plus I reason the less I mess with the factory harness the less likely I am to introduce a problem that didn't exist before. I also think it makes trouble shooting more simple. If the toad lights don't work you know it's in the towing harness. If the vehicle lights don't work...

One place you can look for everything you'll need is here: Remco towing
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hello, we pull a 2010 two door wrangler behind our Allegro 3003 32ba for three years now and it works great. We went with the Blue OX AVENTA LX tow bar and it is a breeze to attach and take off. We also have the matching Blue OX Base plate installed on the jeep. Extremely happy with the system. We do not have a Brake system yet because of the price. We had it installed by a place in town that specializes in that kind of thing and they did the wiring as well. Too important to just have anyone install it. Hope this helps. Happy trails
Old 06-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #5

Engle, whatever you do, do not go without brake assist. Most states require it, but above all you are much safer with it.

Dave

Old 06-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #6

I just bought and installed our system on a 4-door a few weeks ago. I went with a Currie baseplate, Readybrake Elite (tow bar and surge brakes in one) and the Cooltech wiring harness.

I'd recommend all of the above except the Currie baseplate. It is stout and looks the best (IMHO) of all of them. However, the installation was a royal PAIN.

They advertise compatible with the blue Ox and you can order the RB tow bar with the Clevises for Blue Ox.

The Clevises didn't fit. Currie welding tolerance stink. One side fit and the other didn't. I had to file a little off of both pieces to get the one side to fit together.

Also, the Currie required grinding some nubs off of the Jeep frame. I knew this up front but wasn't turned off by that. However, after getting under there and doing the instal, I found that Currie could adapt their product to be "bolt on" for the newer Jeeps but chooses not to do that.

The set up pulled fantastic to Disney, Key West and back from our home in West Virginia.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am happy with my Blue Ox set up and braking system.

However if I was buying now I would sure look at the Ready Brute Elite tow bar. It combines the tow bar and the braking unit in one; a practical and cost effective solution. It is a simple surge system and so no electricity or device is required for braking.

Have a look while you are deciding.

Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - NSA RV Products
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #8

Go with the ready brake, you will be glad you did. Simple and easy to hook up or take off.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Suggest you look at the iRV2 classifieds for a towbar and a base plate. Bought a BlueOx Aventa II for $150 and a base plate for our 2013 Wrangler Unlimited for $150 - both like new. Best NEW prices seem to be RVupgrades.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said a NEW jeep... I had the pleasure of driving a 2013 Patroit about a month ago (Enterprise rental)

In the owner's manual, under "Sectional towing" it said "not allowed"

Elsewhere in the manual to someone with my training or better it explained just exactly WHY it's not allowed. In great and glowing detail (They are kind of proud of what they did).

Full time 4-wheel drive with automatic electronic couplers and such.. That's why you can't tow it.

IF yours has that feature (A T-bar you grab to lock it in 4-wheel mode) instead of a good old 4-position shifter on a MANUAL transfer case.. You can not tow it.

Likewise 2wd Jeeps can not be towed 4-down.,
Old 06-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You said a NEW jeep... I had the pleasure of driving a 2013 Patroit about a month ago (Enterprise rental)

In the owner's manual, under "Sectional towing" it said "not allowed"

Elsewhere in the manual to someone with my training or better it explained just exactly WHY it's not allowed. In great and glowing detail (They are kind of proud of what they did).

Full time 4-wheel drive with automatic electronic couplers and such.. That's why you can't tow it.

IF yours has that feature (A T-bar you grab to lock it in 4-wheel mode) instead of a good old 4-position shifter on a MANUAL transfer case.. You can not tow it.

Likewise 2wd Jeeps can not be towed 4-down.,
It is a Wrangler. Xfer case in N, trans in P, lock n go

Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #12

I have an 06 Wrangler and use the Ready Brute Elite system. Installation is for the most part very quick and simple.

I also chose to not modify my Wrangler's electrical system for brake and turn indication, so I throw a $25 set of magnetic tow lights on the Jeep's rear bumper instead.

Keith
Old 06-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #13

Jeep Wrangler

We recently purchased a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara and here are my opinions and experiences equipping it to be towed. The parts were installed by me with help from a friend. M&G brake system and breakaway installation time 4 hours. I did not like removing the divider wall in front of the ABS motor , It is required to have enough room to fit the M&G cylinder between the vacuum booster and the master cylinder. This is my second M&G system the last one worked reliably for seven years. The base plate is a Currie. Installation time just over two hours. Most of that time was spent removing the excess metal from the frame members and grinding the front of the plate to insure a flat fit against the frame member. I drilled holes in the front of the plate to mount the air fitting for the M&G and to mount the light connection for the tow lights. You will need good quality drill bits that are sharp to drill through the 3/16'' plate. I did not have any issues with the Blue Ox connections fitting the Currie attachments as some of the other posters have noted. For the lights I installed additional sockets and bulbs in the tail lights . A flat four wire trailer harness was routed under the Jeep to the light connection on the base plate. About two hours total in the light system. I will need to purchase a 4'' receiver adapter before I can tow as the tow bar is angled down to far to safely tow as it is. Cost of parts, shipping and tax so far is about $ 1200.00
Old 06-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #14

We have a 2011 31ft Class C, towing a 2005 Wrangler, Soft Top. When we got the Jeep we took it to Holiday World, $2,000 later ready to go. Then I added rear camera and purchased a "Brake Buddy" works pretty good. I keep it in a Plastic Storage Ben when not using it, which also stores the cables etc. Usually can hook it up with in 5 to 10 minutes. Towing the Wrangler, you don't even know it is back there, that is why I got the camera. Assist Brakes you just have to have them. Brake buddy is very easy to use. Every once in a while I will see a comment of the hassle of using a portable brake system, don't see it, very easy to use, very light.