Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Gefleming....we have a 2013 Wrangler, 2dr automatic! soft top that we tow behind our Class A. We have the Roadmaster base plate(s) and Roadmaster tow bar. Not the easiest installation but not really too too bad. I bought LED trailer tail light assemblies and fabricated brackets that hook over the brush guards on the factory Jeep tail lights. Ran the lighting wiring from the front to the rear through the frame rails. Used our pin plugs to make for easy connecting and disconnecting.
Bought the Rvi2 brake system that seems to work very well. Goes in quickly and easily.
There are many options to setting up your toad. These work for us. Take your time and figure out what works best for you. But, bottom line, from our perspective and in our opinion the '13 Wrangler is a great toad. Be sure to follow the owners manual in terms of preparing your vehicle for recreational towing and you shouldn't really have any problems.
Safe travels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Have not installed yet but I have a 2013 Rubicon. We are going with the ready brute elite, currie base plate and cooltech harness.
lakeboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #17

One thing about cooltech harness... from what I remember reading. If the blinkers/hazards are on and you are stepping on the brakes... the brakes over-ride the blinkers. I did not like that...

Here is my setup:

1. Readybrute Elite with tow bar surge brake indicator on dash of MH
2. Extra Brake wiring for the Jeeps' brake indicator on dash of MH, like the surge brake indicator, it uses power from the MH.
3. Readybrake Breakaway System
4. Mopar Harness... Isolates electrical from Jeep/MH, power is strictly from MH. None of the blinkers/hazard/brakes over-ride each other. No, electrical backfeeding to the Jeep.
5. Curry Baseplate/skidplate.... it is a Jeep after-all.

Pros:
1. Simple Philosophy, surge brakes, have indication for brakes on tow bar and tow vehicle. Used extra brake light limit switch for the Jeep brake indication light.
2. Mopar harness is behind the grill. No need to mount plugs. cables on mounting plate. Mounting disconnect plugs is not necessary. Curry baseplate has 2 function: Skid plate and baseplate. It also keep the look of the Jeep clean... so, when offroading, you wont risk damaging light harness or breakaway plugs.... it is a jeep afterall.
3. Has emergency cable as well as breakaway system.
4. Easy to hook/unhook.

Cons:
1. Lots of wire run from the back/front of MH for brake feedback indication.
2. Mopar cable requires, drilling a hole of about @1.5" through the firewall and running the cable inside the plastic R-front wheel well to behind the front grill.
3. When the breakaway system is deployed... you wont have an indication. Unless you have a back-up camera or something else.
4. Installation is labor intensive due to baseplate mounting and cutting and filing for good fitment to the jeep

If you want a nice clean setup... I recommend the setup I have. It is an easy install but labor intensive. If you have the time, its worth the effort.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #18

I have a 2013 Wrangler Sport with auto trans set up to be towed. It has the M&G brake, Mopar wiring harness, and an LOD custom bumper that has Blue Ox tow points on it. Worked perfectly as a toad.

I went with a Mopar harness due to warranty concerns. I can't say enough good things about the M&G both in overall fitness for the job and customer service.

We had no road debris hitting the Jeep when towing. I think it's up high enough that it isn't an issue.
LostTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #19

M&G brake system install

We just purchased a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara and plan to use the M&G brake system. The installation instructions stste that it is necessary to remove the plastic partition between the ABS motor and the brake master cylinder. Is this a major project? If you have installed a M&G system in a 2013 Jeep how long did it take to install it. We had an M&G on our last toad for 7 years with no problems.

Walter Furniss 2013 Jeep Wrangler & 2007 Fleetwood Discovery
Furniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I tow a 2012 JKU. On the automatic, start the engine and step on brake then shift into N on transmission, now shift Transfer case to N.....very important....shift Transmission briefly into D then R and make sure the Jeep is indeed in Neutral and does not move....return Transmission to N.....shutdown motor.....DO NOT put in park or you'll grind the Transfer case....after engine shuts down keep foot on brake and put Transmission into Park. .
Agree of course, I started turning the engine off in neutral too after grinding the teeth once or twice.

What I don't get, is why put the transmission back in park at all? Why not leave the transmission in neutral just as we do for the transfer case when towing.

I believe the manual says specifically not to tow it with the transmission in neutral, (transfer case yes; transmission, no).

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniss View Post
We just purchased a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara and plan to use the M&G brake system. The installation instructions stste that it is necessary to remove the plastic partition between the ABS motor and the brake master cylinder. Is this a major project? If you have installed a M&G system in a 2013 Jeep how long did it take to install it. We had an M&G on our last toad for 7 years with no problems.

Walter Furniss 2013 Jeep Wrangler & 2007 Fleetwood Discovery
[EDIT] Sorry my answer was for another post, my mistake.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollybolly View Post
Hello Fellow RVers, I'm Jim and I am a rookie in the RV business. However, I did extensive research and last year I bought a used 2011 Coachmen Concord 301SS, 32'. My son's RV friends helped me get through the winterization and de-winterization process, among other things, and I think I am now ready to roll. One of the capabilities I would like to acquire more info on is towing a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport behind the RV. What's a good tow-bar, wiring harness, hitch, brake system, etc? I visited a friend in Maine and looked at his rig and Jeep towing apparatuses and I have a general idea what it is supposed to look like. Any info you can provide such as a specific forum or other website, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JollyBolly
USMC Retired
There is another thread around here from another person asking exactly the same question. Many of the responses were from BlueOx users that have been very satisfied with their towing systems. I'm among that group too.

There are a number of different manufacturers of tow equipment though.

Roll
Old 06-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Agree of course, I started turning the engine off in neutral too after grinding the teeth once or twice.

What I don't get, is why put the transmission back in park at all? Why not leave the transmission in neutral just as we do for the transfer case when towing.

I believe the manual says specifically not to tow it with the transmission in neutral, (transfer case yes; transmission, no).

Roll
The transfer case will lubricate itself while in neutral but the transmission will not..so its left in park or manuals in gear...keeps the main shaft from turning.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote