Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Jeep Wrangler 2013 as a toad

Just bought a wrangler for toad. Any advice on tow bracket and where can I get a cover for the front-not a bra. Anything I need to know about towing a wrangler?
gefleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #2

Instead of cover for the front checkout the "Protect-A-Tow"-works great!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefleming View Post
Just bought a wrangler for toad. Any advice on tow bracket and where can I get a cover for the front-not a bra. Anything I need to know about towing a wrangler?
Well the first thing is to check your owners manual and make sure it can be towed four wheels down. There are a few different type of towing equipment Blue Ox is one that comes to mind. As for a cover I would think twice about a cover. The wind could cause rubbing on your painted surfaces.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm12 View Post

Well the first thing is to check your owners manual and make sure it can be towed four wheels down. There are a few different type of towing equipment Blue Ox is one that comes to mind. As for a cover I would think twice about a cover. The wind could cause rubbing on your painted surfaces.
I have a 12 Wrangler and tow 4-down.
I suggest a cover will scrub paint. I have toaded it for 15K miles and have 2 chips (from off-road ).
Just follow your owners manual. Easy peasy.
Have fun out there!
This link may help you.
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/cat...-towing-guide/
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #5

Under the Motorhome Forum there is a section on Motorhomes and Toads (or something like that). Lots of ingo there.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #6

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Jeep Wranglers are Great toads and your new one is even better than my '08. I always tow 4 down.
Had an '08 and now '12 wranglers. Also have a Blue Ox Aventa ll and base plate that will fit if you have std. factory bumpers. Was listed here on irv2, but the ad only ran a few wks, as I was going to FL. Now in FL, PM me if you have any interest. I will repost the ad here if you want pics, etc.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hello and here is my set up: Currie base plate, M&G Braking system,Cool tech wiring harness, Blue ox Tow bar, Protect-A-Tow. The whole system has worked very well for us in our travels so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02933.jpg
Views:	1529
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	31352   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06915.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	31353  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06698.jpg
Views:	3448
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	31354  
Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
in my opinion i would not use a brake system that is tapped in the jeeps hydrolics and i would drill the tailights and put seperate sockets in for the lights that way fiat can not void any part of your warranty. i use a brake buddy with a blueox tow bar and my own home made light harness ,this is my 2nd jeep i tow this way ,first a 2010 and now a 2011 quick hookup and no problems ever
brianj
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
in my opinion i would not use a brake system that is tapped in the jeeps hydrolics and i would drill the tailights and put seperate sockets in for the lights that way fiat can not void any part of your warranty.
brianj
Could you explain your thoughts? Nothing on the M&G was "TAPPED IN" during the installiation, just bolted up. As far as the lighting, plug and play vs drilling and wiring? Add on's and accessories do not void auto warrantys.

From M&G'S Web site:
. Will the brake system affect the warranty on either vehicle?
The brake system will not affect the warranty on the towed vehicle. The Magnus-Moss Warranty Act protects the warranty. M&G Engineering will cover any warranty issue for the brake system if it is proven that the M&G brake system caused the problem. The coach brake system will not be affected by properly installing the M&G brake system.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
Jeep Wranglers are Great toads and your new one is even better than my '08. I always tow 4 down.
Had an '08 and now '12 wranglers. Also have a Blue Ox Aventa ll and base plate that will fit if you have std. factory bumpers. Was listed here on irv2, but the ad only ran a few wks, as I was going to FL. Now in FL, PM me if you have any interest. I will repost the ad here if you want pics, etc.
I read about your Jeep Wrangler for towing behind motor homes, but is there other vehicle that can be towed on it's 4 wheel without frying the trans. your tip will would help. Thanks
Kooresh
kooresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #11

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooresh View Post
I read about your Jeep Wrangler for towing behind motor homes, but is there other vehicle that can be towed on it's 4 wheel without frying the trans. your tip will would help. Thanks
Kooresh
Here, this is a good guide that should help you,
http://towingworld.com/pdfs/2012_din...wing_guide.pdf or 2011
http://www.blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/DinghyGuide2011.pdf other years available on the internet too, always check and follow the owners manual and/or dealer prior to purchase or towing.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Wrangler Toad

I tow a 2012 JKU. After you pick a towbar system ( I have a Roadmaster mounted on an Aftermarket bumper), pick a wiring harness (CoolTech or Mopar from Jeep), then decide on a braking system (I use a Roadmaster Brakemaster).

Read the manual carefully about how to put the Jeep in neutral. Mine is an automatic and I could do it blindfolded now. On the automatic, start the engine and step on brake then shift into N on transmission, now shift Transfer case to N.....very important....shift Transmission briefly into D then R and make sure the Jeep is indeed in Neutral and does not move....return Transmission to N.....shutdown motor.....DO NOT put in park or you'll grind the Transfer case....after engine shuts down keep foot on brake and put Transmission into Park. Install braking system. Lock doors with door button ( key not needed in ignition) and off you go. It sounds complicated but as long as you realize to shift the Transfer Case and not put the Transmission back to Park until the engine spins down you'll be fine. Tows great.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Could you explain your thoughts? Nothing on the M&G was "TAPPED IN" during the installiation, just bolted up. As far as the lighting, plug and play vs drilling and wiring? Add on's and accessories do not void auto warrantys.

From M&G'S Web site:
. Will the brake system affect the warranty on either vehicle?
The brake system will not affect the warranty on the towed vehicle. The Magnus-Moss Warranty Act protects the warranty. M&G Engineering will cover any warranty issue for the brake system if it is proven that the M&G brake system caused the problem. The coach brake system will not be affected by properly installing the M&G brake system.

if nothing is tapped into then no way can fiat deny any warranty work and use the braking system as an excuse,for tailights i driled 15/16 holes in the tailight housine and inserted a sockey and bulb and wired every thing to a flat 4pin male connector never touched the factory wireing and total cost was about 20 bux this is the 2nd jeep i have owned and used the same method on both with no problems in 12000 miles
brianj
Old 06-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question RV Newbie from NH

Hello Fellow RVers, I'm Jim and I am a rookie in the RV business. However, I did extensive research and last year I bought a used 2011 Coachmen Concord 301SS, 32'. My son's RV friends helped me get through the winterization and de-winterization process, among other things, and I think I am now ready to roll. One of the capabilities I would like to acquire more info on is towing a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport behind the RV. What's a good tow-bar, wiring harness, hitch, brake system, etc? I visited a friend in Maine and looked at his rig and Jeep towing apparatuses and I have a general idea what it is supposed to look like. Any info you can provide such as a specific forum or other website, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JollyBolly
USMC Retired
jollybolly is offline   Reply With Quote