Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #15

The JKs are not your grandpas Jeep. My 12 2-door tracks perfectly after 60K miles of rambling and roughhousing, plus another 30K+ of toad duty.
2-door or 4, plain Jane or top Rubicon, just enjoy it. And GIT ER DIRTY!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
You have to consider that you are not going to be pulling it exclusively.

There is a significant difference between the 2 door and the 4 door when driving it down the freeway at 70 mph. The 2 door requires constant tending to stay on track. You can't just sit back and cruise with one hand on the wheel. The 4 door is much better behaved at high speed because of the longer wheelbase.

My 05 TJ SWB tracks straight. Did so before lift, large tires, and other stuff were installed, and still does.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #17

Thanks, this has been good info for me.
I will keep in mind the body change. I do like the way they look currently.
Hope to post the 'new to us' toad some day next year but depends on how our house updating goes.
Thanks again.
Tom
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #18

One more thing to consider - soft top vs freedom (hard top). Hard top is much quieter on the highway.

Since our JKU is my daily driver and we don't plan on doing a lot of off roading we went hard top and long wheel base.

If it was just a toad for cruising and sight seeing I would go with 2 door and soft top.

As has been mentioned, to pull behind the MH just hook up the tow bar, umbilical drop in the blue ox patriot and put the transfer case in neutral. No need to worry about dead batteries or transmission lube.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #19

I wouldn't eliminate the 08- 11 wranglers in my search. They have a steering wheel lock and a less powerful engine but that would not be a deal breaker for me. I had a 2010 before our current 2012 so I have had experience with both. I have a two door but wish I had gotten a 4 dr because it is primarily used as a road vehicle and if going out with another couple, it is difficult to get in the back seat. Step boards are a must with a 2dr in order to get in the back seat. Something to look out for with the Unlimited is you will see quite a few 2 wheel drives and they are not flat towable since they have no transfer case.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #20

Yes nothing wrong with the 2011 and older JK's, they just have 90hp less. To some that's a issue/concern others it isn't. For me it was a concern thus when I went shopping I didn't consider the 2011 and older due t the 3.8l engine.

Hard vs soft tops - hard top is a bit safer in regards to theft. You can still remove part of the roof if you want the convertible feeling.... It is a pita to remove the entire top,especially on the 4dr's, the best way is to either purchase or make a lift/hoist. Even then it's still a 2 person job. Another negative with the soft tops is they wear out, 6-10 years and you will need a new top. Best top makes excellent replacement tops (I believe they are the oem supplier) which can be purchased for a few hundred bucks.

Even being used exclusively as a toad personally I would take the unlimited due to the extra room for stuff. The bad is they are harder to park at times and do not have quite the maneuverability of the 2dr version, which is where the 2dr beats the unlimited off-road when tight places arse... Switchbacks on the side of a mountain or navigating trees etc... The longer wheelbase can make it difficult or even impassible. Other areas the linger wheelbase makes it better/easier.....

Drive all versions before you spend your money......
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We've owned two JK Unlimited Wranglers now. One with a soft top, our current one with a hard top.

Is the hard top quieter, maybe, but not by much. Is it more secure, certainly, but in our soft top I installed what amounted to a big drawer behind the rear seat that did two things for us (a commercial product which was easy to install). One, it provided a secure place to put or store things and it provided a shelf for the dogs to ride on where they were able to see us and the passing scenery. In a two door it would replace the back seat. In an Unlimited it fills the area behind the rear seat without interfering with its use.

If I had it to do over I'd have another soft top. In little more than a minute I could flip back the forward half of the top and enjoy open air cruising. The "freedom" top is a bit more involved, provides a smaller open area and you need to find someplace to put the removable panels when going "topless".
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
We've owned two JK Unlimited Wranglers now. One with a soft top, our current one with a hard top.

Is the hard top quieter, maybe, but not by much. Is it more secure, certainly, but in our soft top I installed what amounted to a big drawer behind the rear seat that did two things for us (a commercial product which was easy to install). One, it provided a secure place to put or store things and it provided a shelf for the dogs to ride on where they were able to see us and the passing scenery. In a two door it would replace the back seat. In an Unlimited it fills the area behind the rear seat without interfering with its use.

If I had it to do over I'd have another soft top. In little more than a minute I could flip back the forward half of the top and enjoy open air cruising. The "freedom" top is a bit more involved, provides a smaller open area and you need to find someplace to put the removable panels when going "topless".
Jeep had a similar option for the TJ series. Basically it is a box that uses the floor and tailgate for 2 of the sides. The tailgate has to be opened to access the "safe". When the gate is open you can reach your hand inside and also open the top. It's fairly small for the 2 door, but does provide a secure place to store valuables when using the soft top. In the TJ the "safe" can be used without removing the rear seat.

Jeep also had a soft cover that would roll up behind the rear seat. It could be extended to the tailgate to keep things out of site. It didn't provide any more security than keeping things where they couldn't readily be seen.

We use our hard top almost exclusively when traveling. The soft top is just too easy to get into. All you have to do to gain entry is reach under a flap of one of the rear windows and unzip the window.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #23

JMonroe probably has the most accurate info I have read. You will see my SIG pic. It is a 2012 Jeep JK Unlimited RUBICON. As far as bells and whistles, that is not as accurate as the Sahara. Sahara is more of a tamed version. But with a little mods, they ALL are mountain climbers. If you consider 4.10/Dana 44s, lockers and disconnects bells and whistles, we have a different definition. I use my '14 Grand Cherokee for my bells and whistles machine. Or my Laramie Longhorn. The JKUR is not the bells and whistles machine.

Tops. I have both. VERY marginal difference in sound. Hard top is easier in winter with the snow because of the rear wiper.

4dr vs 2dr. OldScout, bring your 2dr to Colorado, Texas dude, and we can see what the difference is. FACT: there are places a longer wheelbase is better, and places a short wheelbase is better. Usually departure angles and turns, but the difference is negligible.

2007 - 2011 vs 2012 and newer. Puh-LEASE!!!! The 3.6L Pentastar is the way to go. They are all the same in 4WD low, but try to pull into traffic at 6500MSL and you will see why I waited. Get a 2dr 4.0L TJ BEFORE you get a 07 - 11 JK.

Big tires, mods, and towing. I am lifted with 35s. I have bumpers, rear racks and all the off road mods for my JKUR. It is in the top 5% of capable JKs and tows like a dream.

I HIGHLY recommend the 2012 and newer JKUR. However, any flavor of JK is a superior, off road 4WD.

And yes, they all wander. 2 drs and 4 drs.

WW
Old 12-27-2015, 04:47 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
The obvious is to drive the 2 door and 4 door to compare. My personal preference is the 4 door because I think the 4 doors longer wheel base rides better and maybe a little more stable on the highway. I owned a 2 door TJ and never had a problem or complaint with it. Also if you intend to have passengers from time to time the JK 2 door has limited room in the back seat. Both are good and are great toads.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:52 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have a 2010 JK Sport (non-Rubicon, 2 door, standard/manual trans, no steering wheel lock). I put the largest tires possible on it (largest possible with stock rims, stock suspension, etc.) and removed the back seat - no other mods. Just yesterday I was out climbing up hills and over rocks that were a bit frightening to me. My point is that stock Wranglers (even non-Rubicons) are incredibly capable off road vehicles. I'm not sure my heart could take whatever a modified Wrangler is capable of going up and over.

I installed a Blue Ox base plate on mine. If I were doing it again, I would seriously consider one of the aftermarket front bumpers with integrated tow bar attach points.

Also, be sure to get one without the steering wheel lock (or plan to have it defeated) - for ease of towing.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #26

Can someone lay out the models of Wranglers?

The Unlimited is a 4 door? Whats the difference between a Sport? Sahara? Rubicon? etc. Is it all luxery items,,, or truly functional offroad features?

We rented a Unlimited Rubicon in Moab this past summer, and drove the White Rim trail,,,, we LOVED IT! Had a blast.

We are looking at 2 doors, I have a 20' enclosed trailer, think I can fit it and my bike in the trailer which would be awesome.

L.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Rubicon? etc. Is it all luxery items,,, or truly functional offroad features?
Hi Lloyed, I am no expert but this article may help a bit on the Rubicon question.

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Vs. Regular Wrangler

My take on the subject has been that if money is no object or you are going to do serious rock crawling (and this means crazy boulders, up the sides of cliffs, etc.), the Rubi is the way to go.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:35 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Differences are a little bit of both
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Models | Quick Comparison Chart

4 door all the way as there are usual people with us...

So far, my only complaint is the lil motor... yes the newer penstar is more hp than 3.8 and with a 0 to 60 in the 7 second range, it's not horrible
but coming from pretty strong and tuned turbo diesels, it's quite a drop down into the sewing machine range especially after larger, heavier wheels and tires...
but it is fun to go and see places your car would never dream of going like in the mountains around Asheville, NC (turn on sound, I still chuckle at the wife's kibitzing!)