Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #1

Jeep Wrangler - Aftermarket Bumper Safe Chain

Hi - I am interested in purchasing an aftermarket bumper to use on my 2017 Wrangler JKU to tow it. I know there are a small number (ex: Hard Rock 4x4) that have specific attachment points for the safety chains in addition to the tow bar. Many other aftermarket bumpers can be used for towing (ex: AEV) using their D-Ring mounts, but do not have specific connection points for safety chains.

Question - For aftermarket bumpers without safety chains attachment points, what is the best approach for connecting them to the vehicle.

Thanks!
RubiconHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #2

Safety chain points are usually attached to the base plate but if not, I've drilled holes in the metal that holds the bumper to the car and used a quick link.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconHR View Post
Hi - I am interested in purchasing an aftermarket bumper to use on my 2017 Wrangler JKU to tow it. I know there are a small number (ex: Hard Rock 4x4) that have specific attachment points for the safety chains in addition to the tow bar. Many other aftermarket bumpers can be used for towing (ex: AEV) using their D-Ring mounts, but do not have specific connection points for safety chains.
Question - For aftermarket bumpers without safety chains attachment points, what is the best approach for connecting them to the vehicle.
Thanks!
There are two ways that I know of. One would be to loop a length of chain around the frame behind the bumper and connect it together with bolt leaving a loop hanging down you can hook the safety chains to. The other would be to use the D-Rings on the bumper. The RockHard bumper uses two bolts through the bumper into the frame for its tow point, leaving two more to hold the bumper. Even if the tow point should break loose from the bumper, the bumper itself would still stay attached to the frame.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:

Thanks!
RubiconHR,
Well, I can tell you a very easy way, which is the way I did it. Quite simply, if you look at the very front cross member between the the two frame rails, under the radiator, you'll see to larger type holes on each end. There is where I placed "Eye bolts" to be used for our safety cables. Now, I used 1/2" versions but, I'm going to change them out to 5/8" versions 'cause they're just that much stronger. It's a simple chore to mount them, no holes to be drilled and no welding or anything like that. Take a look to see if you like it.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1644.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	189514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1645.jpg
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	189515  

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	189516  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks!
I am setting up my LJU (04 unlimited) with an aftermarket bumper and will tow using D ring mounts. I will attache safety chains to the tow hooks similar to these: CURT 22411 Tow Hook
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #6

I'm doing this one...

Hybrid Stubby Front Winch Bumper w/Fog Mounts for 07-17 Jeep JK Wrangler [1062] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

With these D-rings...

D-Ring Kit for Rough Country JK Front Bumpers [1046] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

Probably use their winch too.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heavy quick links in existing or created holes in the frame. Safety chains connect to the quick links.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If you like your Original HardRock bumper, you might look at installing the Currie baseplate. Fairly easy install with a little grinding. It has locations to larch the tow chains. I went this route on my 17 JKUR keeping the OEM bumper.

If you go with an after market bumper I may be interested in buying your JKURHR bumper.t

I had a Rock Hard bumper on my TJ and it had attachment points for the safety chains.
SATXJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:04 AM   #9

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
I have a LoD bumper with Blue Ox tabs welded on so I could used my D rings for the safety chains. I like Scotts idea of the eye bolts will have to look if my skid guard will get in the way.

Name:	IMG_2112.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	189579
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #10

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I am figuring out which one to go with. I’ll follow-up with how it works out....
RubiconHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I have a LoD bumper with Blue Ox tabs welded on so I could used my D rings for the safety chains. I like Scotts idea of the eye bolts will have to look if my skid guard will get in the way.
Attachment 189579
Be careful with those eye bolts, they lose a significant amount of load rating when the force is from the side and not in line. I.E. they are designed to be pulled on in line with the threaded mounting bolt, not side loaded. Given the size they are, they might be fine, just a word of caution.
manwithtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #12

I have this bumper with the tow brackets was planning on using the D rings for the safety cables.
Rock Hard 4x4™ Aluminum Patriot Series Full Width Front Bumper w/ Lowered Winch Plate for Jeep Wrangler JK 2007 - 2018 [RH-5045]
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #13

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithtools View Post
Be careful with those eye bolts, they lose a significant amount of load rating when the force is from the side and not in line. I.E. they are designed to be pulled on in line with the threaded mounting bolt, not side loaded. Given the size they are, they might be fine, just a word of caution.

Thanks. I think I’ll stick with the D rings.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithtools View Post
I looked at some eyebolt load rating tables and it looks like pulling at a right angle to the threads results in a rating of 20-25 percent of the eyebolts straight line rating. Pretty significant reduction.