Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #1

Jeep Wrangler, Aux Brake, and Turn Signals

I have commented about this problem in the thread on the Which Wrangler Wiring Kit but it is at the end and is sort of buried.

We have a 2016 Wrangler that now has the Mopar wiring harness that I had the local dealer install. I also have an RVi Brake 2 system that uses the brake pedal to operate the brakes.

It took a bit of effort to get our Fleetwood to provide all the signals, the 7 Way plug was all messed up. Now, at least as far as I can tell, the RV is supplying all the correct signals: Ground, 12V, Left and Right Turn/Brake, and marker/tail lights.

After I got the Jeep connected to the RV every thing operated as expected, both turn/brake and marker/tail lights worked.

I had my wife push on the brake peddle in the Jeep, and all the brake lights turned on, including the center one. I then determined that turn signals from the RV wouldn't override the Jeep's brake signals.

Unfortunately the dealer's expert on this has been out so they haven't been a much help. I am hoping that he may be able to help me next week but I have my doubts.

I have the suspicion that this may be a characteristic of the 2016 Wrangler, since I was told that in previous years it worked just fine. Since this is all essentially a software, I am expecting that something has changed in the Jeep's computer.

Has anyone had this same problem? If so if it was solved, what was the solution?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBray View Post

I have the suspicion that this may be a characteristic of the 2016 Wrangler, since I was told that in previous years it worked just fine. Since this is all essentially a software, I am expecting that something has changed in the Jeep's computer.

Has anyone had this same problem? If so if it was solved, what was the solution?

Thanks.
I have a 2016 Rubicon with the Mopar harness, My Winnie activates the brake lights just fine and I didn't have to do anything to the 7 pin plug.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #3

One thing to check--some coaches are built with what I call the Japan/Euro signal lights--the turn signals are seperate from the stop lights and are amber. If this is the case, your coach will need a converter box to sort out the signals for the Jeep, which has a combined signal and stop lights--and uses a two-filament bulb.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #4

Quote:
I had my wife push on the brake peddle in the Jeep, and all the brake lights turned on, including the center one. I then determined that turn signals from the RV wouldn't override the Jeep's

So based on this I'm assuming you're trying to get the blinker lights to work while the brake is depressed... Just like when it's NOT connected to the motorhome.

I'll have to check this on my 2013 Rubicon, but even if the brake does override the blinker, the motor home is much wider than the Jeep, and has lights flashing front, side, and rear. It's unlikely anyone would not understand my intentions when I put on a turn indicator.

... But I understand your point. It would be nice if it worked the same way when connected to the motorhome as it does when it is not.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

The Fleetwood has a converter to get the separate turn and brake signals combined into the pair of turn / brake signals. That is working fine.

If I don't push on the brake pedal in the Jeep, everything works fine. Turn and brake signals go on and off with the RV lights. When I push on the brake pedal in the Jeep, the two tail lights and the center light turn on and override the RV's turn signals.

My RVi Brake 2 sits on the floor and uses the brake pedal to apply the brakes. I assume that it will do the same thing as the test above, show brake lights on both tail lights and no turn signal.

I am providing the 12V signal from the RV's house batteries, not the chassis batteries so that signal could be closer to 12.6V instead of something like 13.8V that the chassis should be with the engine running.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TBray-

Roadmaster sells a brake relay to allow the RV turn signals, instead of the Jeep brake signal, to activate the Jeep tail lights. Here's a link to the relay on etrailer.

There are similar ways to accomplish the same thing (manual switches, relays activated by the 12V charge line, etc.). If you search on iRV2 for "brake light relay" you should find posts about those methods.

In my opinion, for $30 and a little rewiring work Roadmaster's solution is the way to go.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I have the suspicion that this may be a characteristic of the 2016 Wrangler, since I was told that in previous years it worked just fine.

This is not a characteristic of the 2016 Wrangler. My 2012 does the same thing. I was unaware of it until it was brought up in the other thread and sure enough, the Jeep brake light overrides the turn signal from the motor home. I am either going to install a kill switch on the Jeep's brake switch with a warning light on the dash to remind me to turn it back on, or build a diode system like below which will automatically kill the Jeep's brake signal when the motor home brakes are applied. When a steady signal on either the right or left turn/brake light is applied, the relay will hold open and disable the Jeeps brake light switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BrakeRelay.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	124323  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #8

Another perspective

I am not a fan of a relay in series with the brake pedal switch from a reliability perspective, a stuck relay would be difficult to detect until you get a ticket for non functional brake lights.

My experience a few weeks ago: I had the tow bar and the Wrangler wiring harness installed but the RVi Brake 2 controller hadn't arrived. I took the rig out during light traffic to see how it all handled. For a typical stop coming up to a traffic light I really didn't notice any real difference between having the toad on the back and not having it. I also tried a couple of stops where I wanted the rig to stop now and it was pretty obvious that I had to really stand on the RV brakes to get it to do it. The Fleetwood has air brakes.

My second observation is that there seems to be a large number of people that believe that the system "just works", witness Lt Dan's comment that unless you go looking for it you won't know it is there.

I have a suspicion that the interference between the brake and turn signal indicators may not be as big a deal as I was originally thinking. This is probably a very common problem with anyone using a toad brake controller that pushes on the brake pedal and I am not seeing a lot of products being heavily advertised to remedy the situation.

To add to that suspicion, the manual for the RVi Brake 2 indicates that it ignores engine braking and downshifting, so a typical controlled surface street stop probably won't apply the toad brakes.

Consider the following:
Toad brakes only get applied when the toad brake controller detects the vehicle slowing fast enough to warrant applying the toad brakes. The toad brakes should release as soon the rig completes a hard stop or as soon as the driver eases off the RV brakes a little. So maybe the interference lasts 2 seconds or so before it goes away. Is anyone going to notice that the turn signal missed a flash or two during a hard brake event?

It may be that the toad brakes do come on for an instant as the driver brakes a little harder so the RV stops at an appropriate point before entering an intersection. So the turn signal tail light does a short or extra flash.

So my question is, for those who have more experience with toads, is having the toad aux brake interfere with the turn signals really all that important? Can it even be detected by the average driver following an RV or police officer?

While I have never been looking for it, I've never noticed it. Something new to look for.

Tags
brake