Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
US Gear Unified tow brake on my 09 Rubi....works great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #44

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will say only this.. I don't care about the ratio of weight Towed to Towing, but ...

YOU WILL STOP FASTER IF ALL WHEELS HAVE WORKING BRAKES.

This means that those who say "What brake system" may, some day, regret that decision. And those who have aux-brakes... Will be very happy.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #45

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post
When you tow your Jeep, do you disconnect the negative side of the battery as the Jeep Owners Manual states? If we disconnect it, the Brake Buddy does not work. Our RV place says it's not necessary, but I'm not sure I trust that statement. Any suggestions?
HowardV,

The short answer is no, I don't disconnect the negative side of the battery.

It may depend on the year of your Wrangler. Our 2003 model has a steering wheel lock. So the key must be in the ignition and turned to the first position clockwise from all the way off. This unlocks the steering wheel but does not turn on any accessories like the radio.

As for Brake Buddy power, there are two cigarette lighter outlets in the center of the dash board above the shift lever. One is switched and one is always hot. If I were to plug the Brake Buddy into the switched outlet the key would have to be at least in the accessory position if not all the way on for the Brake Buddy to work. This would have the potential of running down the Jeep battery fairly quickly.

So what you have to determine is a way to supply your Brake Buddy with power, unlock the steering wheel (if it has a lock), and not energize other Jeep accessories. Some of the later model Wranglers do not have steering wheel locks but you still have to plug the Brake Buddy into a hot outlet.

My configuration has worked fine since I've owned it.

HTH,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #46

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post
When you tow your Jeep, do you disconnect the negative side of the battery as the Jeep Owners Manual states? If we disconnect it, the Brake Buddy does not work. Our RV place says it's not necessary, but I'm not sure I trust that statement. Any suggestions?
Just pull the darn IOD fuse and be done with it. I've towed more miles than a lot of folks have driven. Pull the IOD fuse, don't go through the trouble of disconnecting the battery
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #47

Not necessary. I tow our 2001 Wrangler TJ 4.0 with our Class C, using a Brake Buddy and never dico the battery cables. Everything works fine.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #48

Appreciated Advice, thanks

[QUOTE=Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376;683919]Just pull the darn IOD fuse and be done with it. I've towed more miles than a lot of folks have driven. Pull the IOD fuse, don't go through the trouble of disconnecting the battery[/QUOTE
Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #49

Thanks for the advice and experince. It clears up some of the fears of the first tow.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #50

I own a 40' dp Beaver that weighs 20 tons. I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier that's going to cost me $6000 to convert to tow 4 down. Sooo yesterday I went Jeep shopping for a Wrangler, 2 door.

I was sort of thinking that I wouldn't really need brake package but now after reading all of this, I'm revising my idea. I'll figure it out after I find a Jeep I like.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a Jeep with a/c?? I'm going to AZ, I want my a/c!!!!

Cheers,
Jan
Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It would be hard to find a new Jeep with out a/c. For very little more you can buy a 4 door unlimited over the 2 door. You'll find it tows as well, has more room and easier to take friends out for a nice drive. We love our 4 door JK.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #52
JVJ

Are you looking new as in NEW or new as in new to you (pre-owned)?
Either way it would seem more difficult to locate a Wrangler with out A/C.
What year and model are you looking for? I prefer the TJ from the 2003 model year to the 2006 with the 4.0L straight 6 cyl motor. It is a time proven motor and drive train.
I would also recommend you visit a few of the Jeep Owner Forum on line, these will give you a lot of information as to what to look for and what to pass on when looking at a used Wrangler...like the dreadded Death Wobble.
Also keep in mind that if you are looking at a used Wrangler that has already been set up for towing and has been used as a Toad/Dinghy...ask the owner how many miles the Jeep was towed. Wranglers do not record miles when being towed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janshark View Post
I own a 40' dp Beaver that weighs 20 tons. I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier that's going to cost me $6000 to convert to tow 4 down. Sooo yesterday I went Jeep shopping for a Wrangler, 2 door.

I was sort of thinking that I wouldn't really need brake package but now after reading all of this, I'm revising my idea. I'll figure it out after I find a Jeep I like.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a Jeep with a/c?? I'm going to AZ, I want my a/c!!!!

Cheers,
Jan
Old 08-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #53

Thanks for the info. I'll check out Jeep forums. I'm looking for a used one, that I can trade straight across for my truck. 2008 or 2009. And I prefer a 2 door. I drove one yesterday and it was a hoot. Oh and up here in Canada, really hard to find a used one with a/c. I guess no one bothers - they just take the roof off instead.

Jan
Old 08-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #54

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJ View Post
Are you looking new as in NEW or new as in new to you (pre-owned)?
Either way it would seem more difficult to locate a Wrangler with out A/C.
What year and model are you looking for? I prefer the TJ from the 2003 model year to the 2006 with the 4.0L straight 6 cyl motor. It is a time proven motor and drive train.
I would also recommend you visit a few of the Jeep Owner Forum on line, these will give you a lot of information as to what to look for and what to pass on when looking at a used Wrangler...like the dreadded Death Wobble.
Also keep in mind that if you are looking at a used Wrangler that has already been set up for towing and has been used as a Toad/Dinghy...ask the owner how many miles the Jeep was towed. Wranglers do not record miles when being towed.
Most cars don't record miles when being towed because today, most cars and trucks have electronic odo's. the 3.8ltr engine in todays' JK is more fuel efficient and makes the same HP and torque. The max torque actually comes on a little earlier than the straight 6 does. Where you may think the new JK has less HP is because it weighs more. Our 07 Unlimited weighs in around 4300lbs. Once you learn how to drive the new Jeep the engine can be quite responsive. It's no V8 to be sure.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #55
JVJ

You are correct on the recording of miles, however a lot of people are not aware of the fact that when buying a Toad the miles on the odometer are not the actual miles on the drive train.
I looked at a few Jeep Wranglers that showed less than 20K miles, yet the sales person would make a big point of the fact that it was towed behind and motor home and still only has less than 20K miles. When in fact the drivetrain could have had well in excess of 100K miles.
As for a TJ over a JK, it is all a matter of personal choice...I am old school Jeep having grown from my first CJ5 and up through the numbers and letters from there. I prefer the TJ in it's somewhat crude, rough, little comfort, limited freels offering. The old 4.0L has a strong proven history and is pretty much a simple limited electronic system. The number of aftermarket items seems unlimited and easy on the wallet, even more so if shopping on Craigslist or Ebay.
A number of people seem to feel the newer Wrangler is under powered and lacks the get up and go of the 4.0L. I feel sure that if I were to drive the newer Wrangler I would feel the opposite, see my TJ while having the 4.0L under the hood also has 3:07 gears tucked up under the diff covers. Makes it feel under powered in a big way. Truth be told, with the 3:07 gears there is no need to use 5th gear very often.
However, I like my TJ because it is like a big boy transformer toy. It takes very little cash to chance the appearance and personality of the Jeep. I can take the top and doors off in quick time, use it in all weather conditions. It can be a family grocery getter to a safer replacement as a motorcycle. It is/was cheap and easy to set-up for towing behind the motorhome....and....it makes me smile!!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've got 4:11's limited slip in ours. Still not low enough to keep the revs up in a head wind. Most often I take it out of OD in the hills and head winds