Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #57

Find a jeep.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janshark View Post
I own a 40' dp Beaver that weighs 20 tons. I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier that's going to cost me $6000 to convert to tow 4 down. Sooo yesterday I went Jeep shopping for a Wrangler, 2 door.

I was sort of thinking that I wouldn't really need brake package but now after reading all of this, I'm revising my idea. I'll figure it out after I find a Jeep I like.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a Jeep with a/c?? I'm going to AZ, I want my a/c!!!!

Cheers,
Jan
We opted for a jeep that was newer than 2006 because I was told ( by serveral people) that jeep under went a engineering upgrade that made those years more civilized than prior years? So much for the " I was told" aspect of the story. Our 2008 Jeep Wrangler X has every major comfort feature that my wife's Lexus has , except heated seats etc. Came with AC, power windows, defrost equipment, sat radio, etc. Yes, I'am hardy a kid at 67 but other than climing into a jeep as opposed to sliding into a Lexus it's not a bad ride. As far as how to get what you want you can look at ebay motors or auto trader and other pub's such as those, as for me I went to the local jeep dealer and asked questions, showed intrest and offered a price and zoom we where done. We are hooked up with Roadmaster Sterling tow package, brake Buddy and we are set to go. I would sugguest the dealer over the private seller because most Jeepers want to climb a bunch of rocks or see how far into the mud you cn go prior to getting stuck.... The jeep dealers mostly sell used program cars that have a very tight limit on modification, damage responcibility and therefore you kind of know the thing was not wrung out before you came along. Good luck with the search.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #58

I eventually traded in my Brake Buddy (air leak problem and could feel a drag every so often) for a D-Brake Professional Tow Brake. One of the best decisions I made in a while, according to my wife haha =/

Old 08-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #59
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Kiss = I used the Break Buddy with break away on my 1995 Wrangler Rio-Grand and I am still useing it with my 2004 Wrangler-X!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL View Post
Hi All,

Kiss = I used the Break Buddy with break away on my 1995 Wrangler Rio-Grand and I am still useing it with my 2004 Wrangler-X!
As I mentioned earlier I am 67 yoa and I have learned from experince to seek advice and listen to the experts. I like to think that I am a friend with the owner of the local RV service / sales center in this area so, I offered him half a dozen research of my products and asked him " what about this brake system " ........IT ALWAYS GOT BACK TO KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid ) Brake Buddy by Far was his choice for my setup because it works, is reasonable in cost and is pretty much a proven product. The many RV's that I have talked with all have said " you will be pleased". By the way he has one of those aircraft carrier looking MH's and pulls a high end lux. car to all of the local and regional shows and uses a GUESS WHAT to assist with stopping the toad. I have a lot less experince than most people on this forum but I listen and learn.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #61

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have SMI air Force One.... Jeep Wrangler Sahara (4) door 2010... 4500 lbs...

I towed with and without..... YES you really do need an aux breaking system, don't kid yourself.

With the SMI added, it was like adding a set of super breaks... no kidding.

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #62

Thanks for all the helpful comments as they just reinforce my need to add auxiliary braking for my 2004 Wrangler X. I have been pulling it for several years with no issues but always with that "what if" lurking in the back of my mind. It's time for "peace of mind." And as JVJ eluded to earlier, these little pleasure units we call Jeeps, are a blast. As my T-shirt states: "Build it - run it - break it - fix it - repeat." Thanks again guys.....
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

I put an M&G on my Wrangler. Following is the link to the pictorial tutorial M & G Tow Brake Installation
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #64

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
SMI Air Force One on a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara.

joe
How did you install the SMI. That is what I would like to use but can't see where I would have the room to install in the engine compartment. I have a 2001 Jeep Sahara.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #65
JVJ

We had the chance to tow our Wrangler behind the motorhome this last week. It was our first time to use our Brake Buddy. While in the past I always questioned as to if a brake system was needed, I will admitt that it did give a certain feeling of comfort that if it was needed it was in place to do its job.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
How did you install the SMI. That is what I would like to use but can't see where I would have the room to install in the engine compartment. I have a 2001 Jeep Sahara.
I didn't do the install, but the shop that did it didn't seem to have any trouble putting it in. It's not very big. On the other hand, I have a 2010 (JK) model. Your 2001 (TJ?) is very different.

joe
Old 09-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #67

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I didn't do the install, but the shop that did it didn't seem to have any trouble putting it in. It's not very big. On the other hand, I have a 2010 (JK) model. Your 2001 (TJ?) is very different.

joe
I was thinking of the M & G not the SMI. I just looked at the Air Force One and that will work. Glad I asked. With the M & G I do not have the room to add the air piston to the Master Cylinder.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #68

Workhorse Chassis Owner
our Blue Ox Patriot system just arrived today--going to take the Sahara in next week & get the baseplate & electrical wiring install done--I like the fact that it's all electrical with no compressor, much lighter-in coach remote & display-less amp draw when working & altitude won't affect it..and it was $450 less than the BB Vantage the dealer wanted to sell me..
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #69

Can anyone with a smi installed in a wrangler TJ, mines a 2006 sport, provide pictures or advice on where to install the box under teh hood?