Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
JVJ

Jeep Wrangler do you use any Aux Brake System?

Not to muddy the waters, but I am curious. How many owners are towing a Jeep CJ, YJ, or TJ and are you using an aux braking system or not?
Not looking for a discussion as to liability issues nor any defamation of character as to what is correct and legally required based on trailer tow weights. Lets just follow the KISS Principal, please.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #2

KISS = I use a Brake Buddy with a break-away feature, and I never drive without it.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
not me as a newby i have asked many toaders what brake system they use thier response what brake system?
brianj
Old 06-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
SMI Air Force One on a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara.

joe
Old 06-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I use the M&G system with break away. Also used that system on my 2 Dr 99 Wrangler
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #6

For safety reason and to make known the limitations on the towing vehicle manufacturers give all the towing specs. and limits of their equipment. You must look at the manufacturers load and certification labels on your RV. I have a 39Z Bounder and I tow a Grand Cherokee. The total weights of the coach, loaded gear, and occupants plus the toad do not exceed the limits stated by Freightliner or Fleetwood which is 30,500 lbs. GCWR. When you are within the tow vehicle specs. for total GCWR then you are considered safe with the exsisting braking capabilities of you towing equipment.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited behind a Damon Outlaw. No brake assist system. No problems from Texas to NC, back thru the mountains of TN & KY, down thru AR, back to Texas.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I do use a Blue Ox aux brake in our Wrangler Unlimited.

For those that choose not to use an aux brake, counting on the total weight of MH and toad being at or below GCVW, that's all well and good, until a panic stop causes the toad to 'leap frog' up and over the hitch into the back of the MH.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
We use a Brake Buddy Classic aux brake system in our JK Wrangler (2007 Sahara model which weighs in around 4000 pounds). I do not/will not tow the Jeep without the BB hooked up and on line. The CJ's were lighter, but I would not tow one without a breakaway braking system--just me.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a Blue Ox Apollo brake system with break away on my 04 Wrangler Sport. Sensitivity is set come on only in emergency situations, but when it does, I can feel the difference.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I will be using the M&G system provided it will fit with the hydro boast system I've installed. Will be towing a 1984 CJ7 with an LS1 engine once I finish building it. Using a Roadmaster tow bar with custom built brackets mounted to the frame.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanLinAZ View Post
We use a Brake Buddy Classic aux brake system in our JK Wrangler (2007 Sahara model which weighs in around 4000 pounds). I do not/will not tow the Jeep without the BB hooked up and on line. The CJ's were lighter, but I would not tow one without a breakaway braking system--just me.
What you state is possible but only if the tow bar installation instructions are NOT followed. The tow bar must be level or slightly raised at the tow vehicle reciever to avoid this reaction of the toad in a panic stop situation. It may also be required to have toad braking by some states. Not that it's actively policed.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
to KISS:
1. I don't know how many others do. I tow a YJ.
2. Yes I use a M&G with a breakaway system on my YJ Sahara. The same system has been used on the last two motor homes.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgladdad View Post
What you state is possible but only if the tow bar installation instructions are NOT followed. The tow bar must be level or slightly raised at the tow vehicle reciever to avoid this reaction of the toad in a panic stop situation. It may also be required to have toad braking by some states. Not that it's actively policed.
Correction, this post is for JMonre quote. Sorry Larry