Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
We too are looking at the Jeep Wrangler for a TOAD. Curious though, I see a lot of people went with the 4 door. Is there a particular reason? Aside from the obvious of more passenger room and cargo space. Does the 4 door have the same off road ability?
Yes, it has the same off-roading capability, and a longer wheelbase which makes for a little better ride. Unfortunately for us, we are in the same boat as the OP and need to consider weight (gasser moho), so the 2-door Wrangler will likely be our pick, too.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
We currently have a Jeep Wrangler for a toad. I opted for an older model (2001) because I didn't want the hassle of having to remove fuses, start and run at regular intervals and other limitations related to the new models. Yes, the 4 door Jeep has really pretty good off-roading abilities, and certainly is more "roadable" than the older models (longer wheelbase, etc), but I prefer the two door model for off-roading and ease of towing. Also, the weight is greater for the larger models. But in the end, it is whatever works best for you.

Bronk
The new Jeeps do not have any of the "fuse removal" stuff. Just put the tranny and transfer case in neutral, hitch and go.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #17

I'd definately go for the Jeep. We rented a Suzuki a couple times when we didn't have our Jeep along. It might just be that I'm used to the Jeep but I didn't feel comfortable the Suzuki would handle any rough off roading for extended periods. By rough I don't mean technically difficult, just pounding over the rocks and rough terrain of even the easiest 4 wheel drive trails.

We've towed our 04 Wrangler behind the motorhome for over 65,000 miles without a single problem. If you intend to use the Jeep as a daily driver I'd probably go with the standard 3.21 differential. When we bought ours we went with the 3.73 which is great in town and highway speeds of 60 mph or less. Over 60 it sucks more than its share of gas. If we keep ours at 55 or so mph on the highway it gets 21 mpg. Over 60 mph it drops to around 18 mpg. I'm glad I didn't opt for the 4.11 that was available at the time
Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Ten years from now the Jeep will be worth twice as much.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
Ten years from now the Jeep will be worth twice as much.
Bingo.