Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2008, 04:33 AM   #15

My wife has a YJ Wrangler, a 1992 (YJ's were 1987-95). She has hard, full soft, and bikini tops for it, with hard half doors. With the hardtop, it's not too loud--the shape means there will always be wind noise, and her 4-cylinder has low gearing, so there's some engine and fan noise on the highway. A six-cylinder will be quieter, due to taller gearing. Standard-shifts are quieter than pre-2001 automatics, which were 3-speeds without overdrive. (If the shift indicator in a TJ doesn't have a circle around the "D", it's a 3-speed...all pre-TJ's were 3-speeds.)

She has mild tire drone, but that's entirely dependent on what tread you run. It is certainly bouncy, though the TJ's (1997-2006) are much less so, and the Unlimiteds ride better, due o being longer. Never driven one, but the JK's (2007-present) are supposedly smoother. Her commute is about 30-35 miles, and she has done it many times in the Jeep (including today).

The vast majority of pre-1997's will not have air conditioning, and it's almost a certainty that a 4-banger will not have A/C. (I've seen one, ever.) Do not even think about getting a 4-cylinder with an automatic.

Best shocks for a Wrangler are the Rancho RS9000X. They're adjustable and can compensate for different options (offhand, Liz tightens them a bit in back when adding the heavy hardtop).

1993 International Genesis conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll chime in. We tow a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited, hardtop, automatic. It's very easy to set up and is barely noticeable while in tow. We use a readybrake / readybrute tow bar setup with Roadmaster brackets and adapter. I bought the wiring harness from cooltech LLC for the jeep and a roadmaster coil cord for lighting to the Jeep. All done and self installed for under 1400.00. I couldn't be happier.

here's a pic of the tow bar installed on the Dolphin

The front of the Jeep with hardware ready to roll

Happy to answer questions. Just ask!
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am new to class "A"s and recently fullfilled a life long want of owning a jeep. I purchased an 08 Sahara 2 door convertable. So far, I love it. Like many have said, the ride is not perfect but difinately bearable and the convertable top does produce a fair amount of noise but it is only slightly worse than other convertables I've owned.

I have only towed it on three short trips but the ease of not dealing with a trailer has already gotten me sold on the idea. We are about to leave Friday on a longer trip and I am looking forward to the adventure rather than dreading dragging out the trailer, loading and strapping the car and then what to do with trailer when we can't find a pull through site. As you might be guessing, we don't tend to make a lot of reservation for our annual holiday trip. In fact we are not even sure where we are going accept to say south. So you can see how simple is better and so far, the JK has proven to make towing pretty much that.

'08 Bounder 35 H
Monty W S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:11 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yeah, what redboots said.
I've had several and was seriously into the jeep thing for awhile. 97 or newer 'TJ', 6cyl auto (shifting all the time sucks). If you can afford a rubicon get one, otherwise you probably won't find a dana44 rear axle. Not needed unless you serious offroad or will put 33 or bigger tires on. An axle swap is about $2500.

They tow with the transfer case in neutral, so stick or auto doesn't matter. They are not the lightest vehicle, and the unlimited is worse. But certainly do-able for toad, there are lots of them out there.

Most important - don't buy a 'YJ' and don't buy a 4cyl. You won't be sorry.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #19

I have towed a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara,6 cyl. hardtop with automatic for 7 years now and love it. As was stated, get the hardtop, 6 cyl. and unless you really love shifting gears, get the automatic. We do a lot of 100-150 mile day trips and also back-road a lot in Colorado and unless you are a real rock-climber the automatic is a lot easier to control climbing over ditches and gulleys in the mountains. I had a Geo tracker with a 5-speed and enjoy the automatic much more. If you order a new one, and are not especially a looking to be a rock climber, get the highway rear gearing. Ours is a 3:07 which is very nice for highway driving and plenty low enough for the back roads using the transfer case lower gear. I think the highway gearing now is 3:42 and with the OD makes a great highway ratio for a lower RPM on the engine.

Wagonmaster2
Old 01-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #20

There is nothing wrong with a 4 cylinder Wrangler.

The TJ is a much better street vehicle than the YJ, but also costs much more. Not to mention, it's heavier--important for a toad.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Johnny:
There is nothing wrong with a 4 cylinder Wrangler.

The TJ is a much better street vehicle than the YJ, but also costs much more. Not to mention, it's heavier--important for a toad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, here we go again....
The TJ is NOT heavier than a YJ.
The 4cyl is fine with a stick, no A/C, and for around town and offroading. If you want to drive the freeway at 60-65 with air or want an auto-trans, the 4cyl is way under powered and most people won't put up with it. They are also a couple of grand cheaper because of this, the number of serious buyers for a 4-banger drops way off. The worst is with the auto trans. The 4cyl is no longer offered in a Wrangler.

Oh, and yes, a TJ costs more, some because they are newer, and mostly because they ride so much better and are easier to make offroad capable. A stock wrangler is only slightly better than car offroad. For serious adventure they need lockers, better clearance, and bigger tires. That's why they came out with the Rubicon.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #22

A 5-speed (I'd never even consider any automatic Wrangler regardless of engine) 4 cylinder Wrangler is fine on the highway. It has no trouble running 70+MPH. My friend's 5-speed 4-cylinder Cherokee also happily runs 70-75MPH. This dog just does not hunt.

A box-stock TJ did the Rubicon in 1997. Actually, TEN box-stock TJ's did the 'Con that year. Stock axles, no lockers, stock tires.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Johnny:
A 5-speed (I'd never even consider any automatic Wrangler regardless of engine) 4 cylinder Wrangler is fine on the highway. It has no trouble running 70+MPH. My friend's 5-speed 4-cylinder Cherokee also happily runs 70-75MPH. This dog just does not hunt.

A box-stock TJ did the Rubicon in 1997. Actually, TEN box-stock TJ's did the 'Con that year. Stock axles, no lockers, stock tires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More erroneous information from a questionable source...

What does dog hunting have to do with it???

Just becaue you would never choose a wrangler with an auto trans doesn't mean they don't work better. Any experienced offroader will tell you an auto is the only way to go. It's hard enough to crawl up over rocks and down thru gullies without haveing to deal with three pedals and two feet. All competant offroaders with a stick will also have a hand throttle. They are WAY more difficult to drive offroad.

And just because your buddy ran his cherokee at 70 with a 4-banger does not make them desirable. They are dogs with an A/T and A/C, period. If you're not going to run one on the freeway, you don't need air, and a stick is okay, then 4cyl can be a good choice.

I actually drove the Rubicon trail in 2005 and a stocker would simply not even get thru the gate. So yes, it's changed since '97. And while you can drive most of it without a locker, some of the new waterfalls and steps are pretty much impossible without one. And a stocker simply does not have enough ground clearance to make it over the obstacles in that trail now.

More importantly, none of this has anything to do with the OP's querry. A wrangler makes a good toad albiet a tad heavy, and they lack the normal comforts that a regular car offers. But they are fun to drive and capable offroad, even for extreme offroad if setup for it. That's an entire sport in itself.

You're the same guy that spouts-off about how synthetic lubricants are a waste of money but then you say you use it in some of your own cars. Unbelievable
Old 01-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any experienced offroader will tell you an auto is the only way to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, but I have done plenty of off-roading. Give me a standard. Every time, every vehicle (especially since the slushpump in Wranglers until a couple years ago was state of the art, circa 1978). The only off-roader I'd want a slushpump in would be a dedicated mud-runner (a reverse-valvebody drag automatic backing up a fire-breathing big-block with either a blower or nitrous).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's hard enough to crawl up over rocks and down thru gullies without haveing to deal with three pedals and two feet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A total non-issue with proper gearing. Been there, done that. A hand throttle helps, but is far from a requirement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And just because your buddy ran his cherokee at 70 with a 4-banger does not make them desirable. They are dogs with an A/T and A/C, period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, if you're expecting the performance of a big-block, you'll be disappointed. If you have even semi-realistic expectations, you won't. His has A/C...70-75MPH is nothing for it, it will hold 75 for hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You're the same guy that spouts-off about how synthetic lubricants are a waste of money but then you say you use it in some of your own cars. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about reading, comprehending, and responding to what I actually posted, and not your incorrect understanding of what I posted, hey?

Synthetics are, in the vast majority of the vehicles on the road, a waste of money. If they were money-savers, fleets would use them. The vast majority, including the world's largest private vehicle fleet, do not use them. No more need be said. Case closed.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Jim, I'm towing a 07 Wrangler Unlimited behind our Dolphin. Absolutely love it. I also use the Jeep for a daily driver. It's fun, reliable and doesn't get to bad gas mileage. My average is around 20 + or -. I think you will be very happy with one.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Agree with other posters, get a hard top, and go with the 6 cylinder engine. I also would recommend the Unlimited (4 door), they ride much better. Happy Jeeping!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The V6 is the only choice on a new Wrangler. I like the four door version and the hardtop is a little more secure and quieter than a rag top.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #28

Towed a 2000 Wrangler Sport straight 6, 5 speed and loved it. Fun to drive but not the best "daily" driver if it's your only transportation. Arthritis in my wifes knees made the clutch very painful so we traded for a 05 Liberty Limited. Same easy towing, almost as much fun in the woods and a big grin on my wifes face made it a fine swap...I do miss the top off summer breeze though...

Grumpy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote