Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
09 4 Door Drives great. I would get the 4 Door Automatic.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
All - Me and the better half are in discussions to get the Sahara Unlimited with the 6-Speed. Our disagreenments is with the Navigation System stock install. She thinks we don't need it, I have heard it's database is superb and shows all the back country Forest Service Roads, which Some aftermarket units don't do. If any have the factory unit installed can you provide some advice. And for the 2007-2009 crowd, what kind of miliage are you getting. Thank you in advance.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
07 Auto Unlimited here. I love it. A little bit more wind noise than I think it should have but it is what it is. We get around 20mpg overall. For its weight and size, I think it's not to bad.
Go for the mygig nav system. We use it a lot and it's very good. I personally like things like this built it. The uConnect system could of been a lot better than it is but it does keep your hands on the wheel instead of the phone.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #32

Comparing the unlimited and the 4door, which has easier access to the rea seats??

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Unlimited is the 4 door. Access is,,,,, well, great!
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:55 PM   #34

I have a 2001 Wrangler Sahara 2-dr Hardtop and was wondering how many of you with the Unlimited 4-dr (or even the 2-dr) have run into trouble making turns or turn-arounds on the very narrow back roads? I have been on some mountain trails when I've run into snow or other blocked roads and had to turn around and even with the shorter wheel-based Sahara it took several back/forths to get headed back the other direction. Would like to have the 4-dr but a little afraid of the extra 2 foot wheel base length.

Wagonmaster2
Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Smile

All - Well we purchased a Wrangler Unlimited Sahara today, the better half likes it better than any of the other ones we drove. We got the Manual transmission, and the dual top option, no navigation. I am just going to carry my lowrance Handheld in the vehicle for those times when she does not have the correct map.

My next question is, since the spare tire hangs off the back of the rig, I need to get a bicycle carrier which will work on that rig. Does anyone have any suggestions. We need it for a trip we are going to start on Tuesday. In the meantime I will check Yakimia's site and see what they have in regards to receiver hitch units. Otherwise they are going in the back.

Does anyone have a good place for accessories for the jeep, want a spare tire cover so the sun does not just eat it up. Guess I will just have to remember to rotate it into the mix every 5K miles or so. Need to get a lock for it too.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #36

Are the newer Wrangler 6-cyl automatics actually getting in the 20+ MPG fuel mileage? Are the V-6s doing that much better than the straight 6s? My 2001 straight 6 with 3-speed auto and 3.07 differential gearing can barely manage 17-18 on the highway if I don't exceed 60-65 and no air conditioning on, gets around 12 in town and about 10 in low range on mountain roads. Never could understand how a 6-cyl in a medium weight vehicle with highway gearing can't do any better. Love the Jeep but hate the gas mileage. I had a V-8 Olds 4-dr back in the late '50's that would do 20 MPG on the highway.

Wagonmaster2
Old 04-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
All, we just purchased a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. We also wanted the manual transmission, and we both really like the way it drives. I will update once I figure out if I want to put the towing gear on it or have someone do it for me. The quotes I am getting are way spendy, and it might take me longer, but I'm free.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
The only thing I can add is that with the '97 Sahara soft top I towed for 3 years is that whenever the crowd went off somewhere together we either rode with someone else or alone because nobody wanted to fight thier way into or ride for any distance in the back seats. Now have an '08 Saturn vue and plenty of company. Good Roads to you.
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #39

Alpine Owners Club
Ol Joe, the unlimited is a four door model, and the back seats are very comfortable. We have a couple of friends, he is smaller than she is, so she had trouble getting in, he did not, but neither disliked the ride once they were inside. Good Roads to you as well.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Toad picks (Jeep Wrangler)

We towed a 99 Wrangler all over the country 42 states. Spent 2 summers in Colorado.
We flat towed it, still use a Brake buddy even though we have a bigger Diesel "supper C". Initially had a standard class C. So, it is as simple as this Jeep has specific instructions on tow, I recommend a tow buddy or equilivent, buy the lights from Walmart and run the wire through the jeep, Get a good tow bar I use a blue ox Aventa 2.... KEY THING, KEEP IT SIMPLE...less to go wrong once you are skilled in the art of hook and un-hook you pull either of off in 5-10 min.
Then you are towing the most fun vehicle that exists today ENJOY.
By the way, they are so good just bought a new 08 jeep wrangler unlimited.

Swannee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #41
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hello all,

I'm glad to see everyone having fun with their Jeep Wranglers! It really is a special kind of vehicle - unlike any other. I finally "bit the bullet" to order the half-doors for our 4-door now that summer is about here. There's still nothing like cruising around with no top in a very tough and extremely capable vehicle.

As an update, we recently updated our Flat Tow Light Harness for the 2007-2009 Wranglers. The kit now comes with a round 4-pin connector for the Jeep side. We also have a "deluxe kit" that includes the Tow Harness Kit + Matching Umbilical cord + Battery disconnect switch. Everything is available on our website at http://www.cooltechllc.com

Here's a pic of the "deluxe kit".

CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I gather you are advertising for Cooltech?

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote