Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #1

Jeep Wrangler (Sahara) Toad Question

Preparing to have Blue Ox tow package installed and my technician who is highly regarded by RV'ers in the area has installed many on Jeep Wranglers but says mine is the first he has seen where the manual for the Jeep does NOT specifically say to disconnect the battery when flat towing. It's a 2014 four door hard top Sahara. Anyone have any experience and advice on why other Jeep manuals do have this as part of the recreational tow instructions but mine definitely does not?
Thanks,
deekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #2

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deekay View Post
Preparing to have Blue Ox tow package installed and my technician who is highly regarded by RV'ers in the area has installed many on Jeep Wranglers but says mine is the first he has seen where the manual for the Jeep does NOT specifically say to disconnect the battery when flat towing. It's a 2014 four door hard top Sahara. Anyone have any experience and advice on why other Jeep manuals do have this as part of the recreational tow instructions but mine definitely does not?
Thanks,
Yep. I have a 2012 Sahara and its manual says to disconnect the battery. I always disconnect the battery, but I have been told by others that it is not necessary. So, I'm curious to find out if I really need to follow the instructions in the manual.

cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I think they finally fixed the manual to reflect reality. We had a '10 Sahara. No need to disconnect the battery.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
laj

no reason to either disconnect or hook up a charge line. maybe someday jeep will update the manual.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #5

My 2014 Grand says to remove the push button start. So I did, and broke it. The manuals for late model Jeeps are wrong. My 2012 JKUR manual says to turn the key to ACC and disconnect. It too, is incorrect.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Prior to '09 you had to leave the key in the "on" position to unlock the steering column for towing. The battery would run down after one day of towing. I installed a simple blade switch on the negative battery post on our '07.

With our '12 once I'm all hooked up I remove the key, lock the doors and away we go. No need to disconnect the battery.

The failure to update the owner's manual has been discussed many times since the change was made late in the '08 model year.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #7

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help.
deekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
2012 Jeep wrangler with blue ox tow system. I use magnetic stick on rear lights powered off the coach when towing. But I need power to the 12v outlet in the driver area to power the brake system that sits on the floor of the driver area. 10K miles and absolutely no problems not disconnecting battery. The whole system moves easily to the next tow vehicle if I ever replace this wrangler - but I really like it.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:58 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jeep removed the steering wheel lock sometime in 2008 for most Jeeps that have a transfer case that can be shifted to Neutral.

In my Liberty I switch the transfer case to Neutral, test to ensure it has switched, put the transmission into Park and remove the key.

If the wiring harness you use (I used a Roadmaster wiring harness) is installed properly, the electricity to run the taillights comes from the coach, not the Jeep battery. The correct wiring harnesses will have diode to prevent loading the Jeep battery.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:19 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Do not need to disconnect the battery on leave the key in the ingnition. Starting in 2008 Jeeps do not have steering locks. I use the Blue Ox Aventa tow system.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
... But I need power to the 12v outlet in the driver area to power the brake system that sits on the floor of the driver area...
The Wrangler has two 12v outlets. In our '07 I rewired one to receive it's power through the tow harness (from the motorhome). No longer needing the key in the ignition may make this extra step obsolete, I don't know.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 06-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #12

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

2008 Wrangler has steering wheel lock...I have one. I use the Cool Tech disconnect. (with the M&G brake systems attached to the positive terminal as brake away system will not function when attached to negative terminal). Also use the Cool Tech wiring harness for Toad lights. Easy to install for a novice.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Just another data point... 2010 Wrangler JK, manual transmission. ReadyBrake tow bar, Blue Ox base plate, Cooltech wire harness.

I turn the key to off and remove it, put the transfer case in neutral, put the transmission in gear, close the door and off I go. Very, very simple.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
2008 Wrangler has steering wheel lock...
Some do, some don't. It was a mid model year change.
2024 Ford Expedition

Tags
toad