Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi!
Got my 2002 Wrangler hooked up to tow via a Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain and XL bracket. I'm using the BrakeBuddy Vantage Select for my auxiliary breaking (love the wireless diagnostics!). So far, no complaints at all. It all seems to work great!

A question arises from reviewing the posts on the 2007 and newer Wranglers where folks are pulling some fuse when towing... The question is, I've seen no mention in the manual or noted anything on line where it is suggested to pull a fuse on the 1997-2006 Wranglers. Is there no need to? With the key in the first detent and with a BrakeBuddy plugged in, what kind of battery life might I expect on the Wrangler without charging? Could I do an 8 hour tow?

Getting ready for my first trip next week and am anxious to know!

Megsfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi!
Got my 2002 Wrangler hooked up to tow via a Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain and XL bracket. I'm using the BrakeBuddy Vantage Select for my auxiliary breaking (love the wireless diagnostics!). So far, no complaints at all. It all seems to work great!

A question arises from reviewing the posts on the 2007 and newer Wranglers where folks are pulling some fuse when towing... The question is, I've seen no mention in the manual or noted anything on line where it is suggested to pull a fuse on the 1997-2006 Wranglers. Is there no need to? With the key in the first detent and with a BrakeBuddy plugged in, what kind of battery life might I expect on the Wrangler without charging? Could I do an 8 hour tow?

Getting ready for my first trip next week and am anxious to know!

Megsfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Mike, I doubt that you will be able to go 8 hours on a cranking battery. Remember that every time you use the brakes good you are draining some power out of the Jeep battery. You will want to at least stop at half way and start the Jeep to recharge the battery. Cranking batteries do not make good deep cycle batteries and you can kill it by doing so. Here is a few links on batteries to give you good info:
http://www.usbattery.com/care.htm
http://www.dcbattery.com/faq.html#1
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...ery%20Charging
http://www.rvsolarelectric.com/sources.htm
http://www.batteryfaq.org
Another and better alternative would be to add a charge line off the motorhome to the Jeep. Good luck and stay safe.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:40 AM   #4

I have done a few long tows(600 miles) with my wrangler toad and never ran out of juice,but did bring the battery low. Last year for Christmas I got one of those 12 volt jumper/power station.I plug the brake into that now.You dont have to worry about draining jeep battery and you have emergency charge if needed.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:43 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We have gone four or five days without pulling any fuses and using a brake buddy (1500+- mi) and never had a problem starting the toad.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:03 AM   #6

On my 2006 TJ Wrangler, it is not necessary to move the key to the first detent. It is merely necessary to have the key inserted in the ignition to keep the steering wheel from locking. I use the Brakemaster diode system to wire my running lights. I put a toggle switch in the circuit that runs from the stop switch to the Jeep's brake lights. This removes all drain from the Jeep battery.

I use the Brakemaster Braking system that uses an air cylinder plumbed into the RV air brakes with a breakaway cylinder.

Had to do a panic stop on the last trip and everything worked fine. Had to change my shorts, though!!<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megsfolks:
Hi!

Getting ready for my first trip next week and am anxious to know! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you're powering only the Brake Buddy and its sending unit off the TJ battery, you will have no discharge problems under normal circumstances. Remember, once the Brake Buddy is up to pressure the only time it draws any more than minimum power is when the brakes have to cycle. I've towed our TJ for three days straight (LA to Dallas) without unhooking or running the Jeep engine and had no problem at all.

wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote