Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You do not need to disconnect the battery or leave the key in. You do not have a locking column.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks you Rick, Your right Just went out and checked.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Leeper View Post
Well thanks for all of your advice. Went out and got a 2012 jeep 4x4 Wrangler Sport w/ a automatic today. all i need to do now is to get a tow bar. and try to understand this manual. sounds like you got a lot to do. My new question is, do you leave the key in acc postion, and disconnect the battery. Manual don't say anything but i was looking over other forums
Ignore the manual and go to page 80-82 in the USER GUIDE. There are step-by-step instructions for towing. My Jeep: Jeep Owners Service Manuals - 4x4 SUVs, Sports Utility Vehicles, Off Road

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #18

Not sure about the 2012 model, but in my '02 the key must be one notch back from "ON" in order to leave the steering unlocked. In the ACC position the steering is locked and the toad won't follow, that is - the steering is still locked in the ACC position. Also I assume with your automatic tranny the transfer case can be put into neutral for towing but check that out before you tow it. If you can't fully disconnect the drive train that way you may burn up your tranny.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkerch View Post
Not sure about the 2012 model, but in my '02 the key must be one notch back from "ON" in order to leave the steering unlocked. In the ACC position the steering is locked and the toad won't follow, that is - the steering is still locked in the ACC position. Also I assume with your automatic tranny the transfer case can be put into neutral for towing but check that out before you tow it. If you can't fully disconnect the drive train that way you may burn up your tranny.
Your 02 is not a current JK and is completely different. As posted more than once on this thread. From mid 08 to current. NO steering lock
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkerch View Post
We tow a 2002 Jeep Wrangler X (approx. 3,000 lb.) behind our 38' Monaco Diplomat (approx. 30,000 lb.) and only know it's there when I see it on my monitor. Unlock the steering, put the (manual) tranny in neutral and transfer case in neutral, and go. Didn't go for the expensive towing setup though. I use magnetic lights on the Jeep's bumper and tow with a simple bumper mounted tow bar. 8,000 plus towed miles so far this year and no problems.
The transmission should be left in gear, and not in neutral. The upper gears in the trans are not properly lubricated when towing with the trans in neutral. There is some rotational force sent to the trans from the transfer case causing the transmission output shaft to spin. To eliminate excess wear with marginal lubrication, when towing with the transfer case in Neutral, the manual transmission should be left in gear, (Highest gear) and the automatic should be in Park. This is spelled out clearly in the owners manual.

Sometime in '08 the steering lock was no longer installed. No need to leave the key in those models. The steering lock in the manual transmission TJ's can be easily disabled in about 15 minutes, otherwise the key must be turned to the 'unlock' position for towing. I have done the steering lock disable on my 01 TJ and the procedure is really very simple. Only 6 screws to R & I. Now, no more leaving the key in the ignition. I have a PDF illustrated write up of the procedure. If anyone is interested in this document please send an email to rinkersranch@gmail.com, and I'll be glad to send it to you. I only have the procedure for the manual transmission TJ models. I do not know if the automatic transmission model is designed the same.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Well thanks for all of your advice. Went out and got a 2012 jeep 4x4 Wrangler Sport w/ a automatic today. all i need to do now is to get a tow bar. and try to understand this manual. sounds like you got a lot to do. My new question is, do you leave the key in acc postion, and disconnect the battery. Manual don't say anything but i was looking over other forums
I have the same as you, got it in Jan. All you have to do is to put the gear shift in N, shift the transfer case to N, put the gear shift back in P, remove the key and take off. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to put the Jeep in P but that's what is done. No screwing around with batteries, fuses, etc. Plain and simple. The manual is really confusing on this matter.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
I have the same as you, got it in Jan. All you have to do is to put the gear shift in N, shift the transfer case to N, put the gear shift back in P, remove the key and take off. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to put the Jeep in P but that's what is done. No screwing around with batteries, fuses, etc. Plain and simple. The manual is really confusing on this matter.
Exactly. That's why the JEEP USER GUIDE is easier to follow than the manual.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems to me that the User Guide gives the same CONFUSING instructions regarding shifting into N and back out, so what I said above still holds.

I've had problems shifting the transfer case back to 2wdr with the engine off. I know the instructions say the engine must be off prior to placing the gear shift back to P (from N) but there are times that it seems like it won't shift with the engine off. Other times it will click or clatter a little. My dealer says not to worry but I wonder if anyone else has a method of shifting both the tranny and the transfer case with a minimum of fuss and bother? I know I can't break it but sometimes it seems like brute strength is the only way to shift if.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So far ours shifts easily. I have read somewhere that someone has to "rock" his Jeep a bit to get the transfer case to shift.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
Seems to me that the User Guide gives the same CONFUSING instructions regarding shifting into N and back out, so what I said above still holds.

I've had problems shifting the transfer case back to 2wdr with the engine off. I know the instructions say the engine must be off prior to placing the gear shift back to P (from N) but there are times that it seems like it won't shift with the engine off. Other times it will click or clatter a little. My dealer says not to worry but I wonder if anyone else has a method of shifting both the tranny and the transfer case with a minimum of fuss and bother? I know I can't break it but sometimes it seems like brute strength is the only way to shift if.
Don't use brute force. Start the engine, put the trans in neutral and then shift the transfercase into neutral. If the transfercase does not go easily the first time, put the transmission into drive and back to neutral. It should go easily then. There is a plastic bushing piece on the transfer case that folk have broken. Sometimes the mechanicals of the transfercase just get tight.

By the way, enjoy the Jeep; they are great vehicles....
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
well i played today, and yes somtimes it was hard to shift the tranfer case back into Drive. i just rocked it with my foot and it slid in. Is was easy to put into neutral.
All i need to do now is the hitch thing, Tow bar, lights, Brakes, ect. wish they just a a package deal, instead of need this and that. just to many on the market, looks like any where from $1,500. - $6,000.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
well i played today, and yes somtimes it was hard to shift the tranfer case back into Drive. i just rocked it with my foot and it slid in. Is was easy to put into neutral.
All i need to do now is the hitch thing, Tow bar, lights, Brakes, ect. wish they just a a package deal, instead of need this and that. just to many on the market, looks like any where from $1,500. - $6,000.
OK. You need this... Ready Brake RB-9050 tow bar kit with Brake integrated into it, Blue Ox base plate and wiring. INCLUDING SHIPPING and this... Cool Tech LLC. JK Tow Harness Kit

Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #28

Hi, Ready Brake Elite is a great way to go. You might want to consider the Dual purpose Currie Industries base plate. Much less intrusion on the Jeep and serves a dual purpose as protection for the front steering linkage on the Jeep in place of the plastic part behind the Bumper. Here is a link: Currie Enterprises CJ Axle Parts
There is some mods on the 2011 and 2012 models but easy to do when installing. another link : Currie Mounting Plate and Blue Ox Aventa LX
The light issues can be a problem due to the ECM controls on the Jeep. Give a lot of thought on this. The Jeep warranty does not look favorably on cutting into the wiring harness. Magnetic lights are possible but could damage the paint and there are not many places to mount on a Jeep JK. I have been thinking of a setup using the 2" receiver on the Jeep. More to follow.
Robert
2001 Dynasty
2012 Jeep JKU

Tags
toad