Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #15

jeep wrangler tow

first time i have posted, lots of response thanks everyone, now its time to get pieces & start towing. thanks again

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #16

Instead of a base plate I went with steel front bumper on my 2007 JK unlimited. They Blue Ox brackets bolt right to it and considering the cost of a baseplate it is like getting a fancy new bumper for half price!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 04-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enconcapt View Post
Instead of a base plate I went with steel front bumper on my 2007 JK unlimited. They Blue Ox brackets bolt right to it and considering the cost of a baseplate it is like getting a fancy new bumper for half price!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
This is exactly what I did.. Tows like a dream!
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #18

Anybody towing a 4 door Wrangler Jeep with a Via/View?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #19

Blue Ox baseplate, Ready Brute Elite tow bar. 18,000 miles / no issues.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:53 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We agree on the Curry base plate. We have a 2013 OM Wrangler. Base plate fits tight to the factory bumper and is a clean and simple install replacing the factory plastic shield. Connected to an Aventa by Blue Ox with a Break Buddy Stealth braking system. Pulling with a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 8.1 Workhorse.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:34 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
X2

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (on order...delivery date tbd)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
X22
Old 04-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using the Roadmaster Sterling for many years now and I am pretty happy/satisfied with it, although I am not a fan of the base plates. Mainly I don't like the looks of them sticking out the front and the adapters can rattle. I took a different approach on our current 2011 Jeep Wrangler and just fabricated a new crossmember/tow point.

I took into account the approach angle and set it slightly back behind and below the front bumper so as to not encroach into my approach angle.

This is what I started with, 1.5" square tube x .250" wall and .375" plate for the attachment points. I made a template for the small brackets and then drilled them and cut the outside dimensions on the bandsaw. The 1.5" square opening I cut with the plasma cutter. I then bolted them together and ground on the disc sander to size them all the exact same on the outside and used a rotary bit to deburr the inside.

Here are the brackets seperated and ready for installation.

On the sides coming down from the frame I used 1/2" plate.

After deburring and a test fit.

Test fit and tack welded.

After final welding and ready to go off to powder coater.

After powder coating. I went with a textured black powder coating to match my bumpers and it also matches my OEM fenders pretty well.

Installed on the Jeep.

It is definetly overkill for the weight of the Jeep but I also wanted it to protect my swaybar just behind it and I have my air tank for my on-board air mounted right above it. I have towed with this particular setup for over 3 years now and love it. It also clears very well when off-raoding.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #23

^^^ nice work! looks clean....
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
^^^ nice work! looks clean....
Thank you.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #25

Hi, I have a 02 Wrangler and want to replace the factory bumper with a steel bumper so I can attach my Blue Ox directly to the bumper. Any suggestions? Alan
Old 04-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #26

Towing without a baseplate

Hi, I have a 02 Wrangler and want to replace the factory bumper with a steel bumper so I can attach my Blue Ox directly to the bumper. Any suggestions on bumpers? Thanks, Alan
Old 04-27-2015, 05:14 AM   #27

I searched everyplace for one for my 07 Wrangler. I ordered one from Ranch Hand that looked nice and may have worked, about $600. Unfortunately three weeks later they still had no idea when they may get around to building it so I cancelled the order.
I ordered mine from Rock Hard 4x4 and they were great to work with. They make a super strong Blue Ox bolt on bracket. The bumper looks great, easy to out on, very strong and they shipped it immediately. It was about $800 but well worth it. I highly recommend them!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enconcapt View Post
I searched everyplace for one for my 07 Wrangler. I ordered one from Ranch Hand that looked nice and may have worked, about $600. Unfortunately three weeks later they still had no idea when they may get around to building it so I cancelled the order.
I ordered mine from Rock Hard 4x4 and they were great to work with. They make a super strong Blue Ox bolt on bracket. The bumper looks great, easy to out on, very strong and they shipped it immediately. It was about $800 but well worth it. I highly recommend them!
X2 on the Rock Hard bumper. I went with this same bumper specifically because the Blue OX brackets through bolt directly into the frame horns. A lot of other bumpers just bolt them to the bumper itself, and I didn't want to be pulling all the weight through the bumper...

I just met the owners two days ago at the Jeepbeach event. Really nice people and their products are top notch!

Rock Hard 4x4 Patriot Series Full Width Front Bumper for Jeep CJ5, CJ7, CJ8, YJ, TJ, and LJ 1976 - 2006 [RH-4010]

Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow